Youth Think Tank on Climate Change and Health in Bangladesh

Posted July 29, 2012 Avatar Md. Shajedur Rahman Shawon

Avatar Md. Shajedur Rahman Shawon View Profile

Bangladesh is a developing country of South-Asia with poor health infrastructure, inadequate health education and poverty. We are facing numerous health related problems since our birth in 1971. Due to huge disease burden and cost our national growth is being hampered. Though some achievements have been done in health sector, our overall health status is not satisfactory. There is health inequality between poor & rich, urban &rural people. Moreover, Climate change is a big threat to our country because of its detrimental effects on our health. We all know that we are the least contributor of climate change but worst suffer of it. In this situation, we have to prepare ourselves to adopt and mitigate the climate change. To combat climate change we need a healthy population adopting healthy lifestyle which will increase the quality of life. It is high time to letting the people know about climate change and its consequences. Through wide community participation we can achieve a sustainable environment to live in. primary health education can make people aware of healthy lifestyle and prepare them for any natural calamities. Keeping this concept of primary health education, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has introduced "Youth Think Tank on Climate change and Health" under Climate Change and Health Promotion Unit (CCHPU).Youth Think Tank is a group of energetic, dedicated, innovative, enthusiastic youths who will perform different activities to promote the health issues throughout the country time to time. They will be treated as the future leaders of the Health Sector.

Activities of the Youth Think-tank members: 1. To provide innovative ideas regarding adaptation & mitigation of Climate Change. 2. To aware people on the health & climate change related issues of their community. 3. To act as immediate responder during any extreme event like flood, cyclone or any other disaster. 4. To train school children in their communities on Health & Environment issues. 5. To work with other health professionals of their community.