Zambia's Child Climate Ambassadors Commemorate World Environment Day

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Child Climate Ambassadors match during World Environment Day in Lusaka.

On 5 June, child climate ambassadors across Zambia joined the rest of the world in commemorating the 2014 World Environment Day. The local theme was ‘Raise Your Voice, Not the Green House Gases – Protect the Environment.’ In Lusaka, the ambassadors joined the national commemoration at the Olympic Youth Development Centre (OYDC). The activities included a two kilometer awareness walk, school art competition, exhibitions and speeches by the Acting Honorable Minister of Lands, Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Mr. Wilbur Simuusa, MP, and United Nations Development Programme Country Director Ms. Viola Morgan.

World Environment Day (WED) is the United Nations’ principal vehicle for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the environment. Over the years it has grown to be a broad, global platform for public outreach that is widely celebrated by stakeholders in over 100 countries. It also serves as the ‘people’s day’ for doing something positive for the environment, galvanizing individual actions into a collective power that generates an exponential positive impact on the planet.