#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Not Just Kidding

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in...

Lecture Hall Reflections

It's the first day of the Fall semester and I'm sitting in a corner by the outlets, sipping on my co...

Law of Repulsion

Why does the thought of having something completely out of reach set our nerves on fire? Why is it t...

Self-Empowerment in Three Parts

Self-Empowerment in Three PartsI. SeeingThere are stacks of what-ifsthat surround me, I have been watchingthem form mountains and make a mockery of me, and I have anticipated avalanches,braced myself for the crushing weight of rock,and when it did not come, I squinted my eyesto see for the first tim...

AMEE2017: The Reality Shifting Experience

The phrase "Life Changing" is something you are familiar with if you are involved with people like you who want to make a difference in this world. The phrase is used usually to describe an experience: a conference that you attended, a project that was completed, an exchange where you meet people, o...

Hand In Hand

Hand in Hand,They stand around the globe,Only figures,Of a representation,Never really followed.A la...

Women in Pakistan

"No nation can rise to the height of glory unless your women are side by side with you. We are victims of evil customs. It is a crime against humanity that our women are shut up within the four walls of our houses as prisoners." -Muhammad Ali Jinnah(1944) The stigma surrounding female empowerment...

Back to School : Self-Love Campaigns

I missed this place so much, and it's been so long since I've written a post, and even though I used...

Welcome

Hello! This is my first post for the VOY Blogging Internship. I will write on the issue of migration...

Finding Yourself through Quotes

"The day that passes by without you knowing and discovering something new in yourself, is a day that...