#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Think positive and act wisely

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are th...

She is fire, and nothing else.

People don't get it When she burns herself downThey think she does it for the attention.Nah, she does it for herself.She takes all that rage inside herAnd uses it to grow flowers.She accepts all the hate in herAnd turns it into something that the world will love. And like the wind that blows out wea...

Being a Muslim girl in America

My name is Najma Darwish, I’m 14 years old and I have many titles, writer, daughter, friend, Somali,...

Cuba

I am a storyteller From where the palm trees dance rumba with the wind And the deep Caribbean waters...

When life becomes a brute force attack

A long time ago, I was watching this video by Hank Green called “The Parable of The Perfect Pot,” in which Hank outlined an experiment that I’m sure we’ve all heard before in some manner.Basically, there were two teams assigned with two different tasks. One team (Team A) had to create the most numbe...

A letter about the ¨Migration Crisis¨ from a Honduran girl

There are ways to solve social/political problems. It's understandable that countries may not react...

Education in Malaysia

We see Malaysia as a developing country that is steadily growing economically. We see Malaysia as a...

The meaning of 'NORMAL' in your life dictionary

When difficult times in life make us fall into sadness, sometimes a thought appears. "Why is my life...

The hope within

I have been waiting to write this. It took me so long to find the words. I’m still not sure I have t...

How Instagram made a big hole in my life

Nowadays, we live with the swift flow of technology. Technology is growing rapidly, innovation is en...