#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Mother languages - Dividing us and bringing us together

They say it takes a village to raise a child. But I grew up wrestling with more than one village.Nat...

Where does your interest lie?

In this matter, In what you do, In whom you are, In what you are becoming. Where does your int...

My Second Skin

Veiled women have different reasons for donning the veil. While some may think that the sole and ent...

We Nigerians...

Welcome to our citadels of learning, where learning continues and knowledge is being applied even af...

How to Lose Me

In case you're tired of me. Or you're tired of us. This is how to lose me. And how to lose us. For few articles now, I've been going atypical from my normal way of writing. Please, just bear with me. I think it's due to the fact that everything around has been atypical too. Last week, I lost more th...

Young people, whatever your country, you are the world's future: Testi...

I grew up in Riviere Salée, in the commune of Baraderes which is located in the department of Nippes...

Tell Me What's Up

There’s discretion. There are societal demands and tolerances. There’s what is socially acceptable...

I will hold your hand

Dear Friend,I know times are tough right now, adjusting to life seems slow and painful, shoes don't...

Somebody else, out there, needs you

"Dearest Daddy, It’s the day today...the one that we talked about so much, when I was still your...

Scoring a goal at a time....

I’ve been reading this book, for some time now. It’s called Grit. And I’ve fallen in love with it....