#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

We can all be heroes

Jason never felt safe in school. For all the years he spent reading, writing and learning, not for a...

Literacy, hospitality, and Labuan Bajo

"What this place offers is more than astonishing, a piece of heaven with good hospitality", said a G...

Hers

Who sought her agonybehind her ‘sweet' smile?Who sought her fearof devils who cravedto eat her freed...

In the name of healthy interaction

A medical degree is regarded as one of the most prestigious feats that can be achieved by a person....

An Identity

She came out on a beautiful dayShe said she accepts all___I say I show equality, tooSo, am I like her?He said he appreciates beauty____I say I value allure, tooSo, am I like him?I discovered many things about myselfBut I have yet to discover this identityWho am I?

The Path We Pave

Today, I remind myself that rejection is not failure.Today, I remind myself that failure is our impe...

Suck At Public Speaking? You're Not Alone

Ask me to write a novella in less than a week and I'll have a rough draft given to you a day before...

To Those Struggling

Some context:A lot of people ask me why I am often sick or in the hospital. Here is a link to a webs...

Cinderella Syndrome

There are communities everywhere. Family. School. Clubs. Church. Sports. Each of these communities h...

By a proud Hindi speaker

Walking up the corner of the street, I see a lady dressed in Indian ethnic clothing, conversing in t...