#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

One Girl, 7 Generations, 150 Years Secured - Educate

Education has always been neglected and if that education has to be for a girl child, then that was considered to be against the respect of man. It seems obnoxious to hear but yes that's the past or distant past we have seen. Nevertheless we have come a long way in terms of thinking and in t...

The greener side of blessings.

It's shameful, the way we treat each other, based on our ignorant acceptance of people, depending on beliefs and experiences we have been fed and have lived. How we perceive people, downgrade them, and bully them. I know that it's cliché to hear that life is too short, or some people ha...

The East is a delicate matter

Many of you may ask, where is Uzbekistan? Is it somewhere in Africa? What’s life like there? Do...

Torn: Being a Cuban-American in a Time of Strain

When I was three months old, my mother nestled me in her arms and took me on an hour plane ride to...

Who says we are unfaithful?

Who says we are unfaithful? Apprehensions. We had many. And so was the stranger of nigh...

Money Management Tips For Students

As an average college student, you may not have all the money you need to go by. Your main income...

What I've learned so far...

2016 wasn’t the best year of my life but wasn’t the worst neither. 2016 was the year I learned...

Different Cultures. One community.

70 years ago, a group of people had an amazing idea and were not afraid to say it out aloud, no matter the consequences. These people were UNESCO’s founders. They made the following conclusion: If ignorance of each other’s ways and lives gives birth to mistrust and misunderstanding betwe...

We Need to be United

I was recently reading a quote shared by the World Food Programme (WFP) of Nelson Mandela - "It is in your hands to create a better world for all who live in it ". The world and the youngsters i.e. we, need to understand that the world is a very small place to live if we live with peace and...

For Minorities, Representation in Stories Matters

Last year, a speaker came to our school for our bi-annual Development Day, a day in which the stud...