#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

La Luciole, Our Hope

Like many regions in Africa, Bouaflé, my hometown, felt the unforgiving periods of the Ivorian Ci...

Reading for Leisure

The last time I read for leisure was three or four days ago. I can’t remember the second to last...

Human dignity and freedom in a multi-cultural, multi-religious world

A few days ago, I had to submit an assignment - an essay- on how the correct understanding of a hu...

Trivial pursuits

Social justice Living for the weekend when you don't have to go to school Living for the moment hoping you'll survive till tomorrow Going over to friends houses who have funny tasting water Walking for hours to get fresh water Fighting with friends over petty things, that you loo...

The story of 'my' life

And finally, this Sun is about to set. Ages lived are on the threshold of completion; My story, as...

Pain

that first drop of tear that strikes the cheeks its unwantedness its burden - Is pain ! That ecstatic feeling of possession that grief of knowing it wont be for long its emptiness its helplessness -Is pain That river of tears-which dried that hea...

The Not-So Common Franta

One of Disney's most famous quotes is, "A dream is a wish your heart makes". Youtuber Connor Frant...

One word Dilemma

My dilemma currently is in the word; Invest. It’s quite known that, when you think of a new project, and you decide to use your time, money, and energy for, you prepare for every set back and failure along the way, the loss doesn’t matter as you have a plan B as a detour. You th...

Racism in the USA

Our country has been racist since the beginning of time - that's what I think about racism in America and around the globe. Anywhere you go these days you may encounter some type of racism. A person that you know may come to you and make a racial comment directly in your face and laugh. Th...

People

People. In our life we will meet all kinds of people, good people, bad people, people from who...