#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

From Dhaba to Cafe

Roaming around Karachi city, for me, the best place in town is Dhaba (Chai Wala), where I go for pea...

VOY Inspire! - Happiness And A Ninja (Part 1)

In this big, ever-growing complex world of ours, it’s sometimes quite hard to find the right defin...

Is a smart city really smart?

We expect a lot from our technology. More and more products are created not only to perform multiple...

Broken angel

He breaks me every time, to show his world the side of the coin.I have always been his puppet, his b...

Breaking the Space Borders

It was a glorious day. The temperature was exceedingly high that particular afternoon and the sky wa...

Thanks for the Trouble: A Response, Review, and Discussion

Considering the big fat book-worm I’ve become – and despite forced diets due to other life force...

When My Eyes Grow Old

When my eyes grow old I hope they don't see the same world.I hope I only have memories of how this w...

Writing may be your only and strongest ally

I'm an extremely introverted person. I just can't imagine myself talking openly to others about myse...

Ethics of Science and Technology

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein On...

A Song for Humanity

What drives me nuts is the fact that people have so much capacity for kindness but choose to ignore or suppress it in fear of being hurt. If we try just a little bit to practice kindness in our every day actions and look at life at least one degree through a love lens, I truly believe the world can...