#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

That Fight For Peace

In The History Of Hindu Mythology, Ravana, The Demon King Was Killed By Unity Which Symbolized That...

Dear Youth, Act Now, Not Tomorrow

Dear youth, act now, not tomorrow.The global population of youth, as of October 2016, stands at 1.8B...

Prioritization: First Things First

A couple days ago, I logged into my Facebook account at around 10:30 am. I just needed a short break from my work. As I scrolled down the newsfeed, I came across a video shared by one of my friends. The title was “A valuable lesson for a happy life”. The word “happy life” captured my attention and I...

Breaking the silence around menstruation in Ethiopia

Is there a lot of stigma surrounding periods in your community?Do most girls know about what’s happe...

To Teachers

This post is a collaboration between Nerissa Naidoo, Domitilla De Luca Bossa, and Numu Touray.One of...

Segregation: Tragedy of the Mind

Segregation: a reflection of how our brain categorizes everything we see and do.Picture a living thi...

All you need to liberate society – the internet?

How the internet can help democracy – or not… The Arabic spring introduced a new era of revolution....

Food Waste: A Call For Change

By 2027, we are expected to suffer from a 217 trillion calories worth of food deficiency. However, a...

The Light Amongst The Darkness

“First: Examine our attitude towards peace itself. Too many of us think it is impossible. Too many t...

Why is gender mainstreaming important?

I would like to define gender mainstreaming in a very simple way so that everyone can understand it....