#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

HOPE FOR NIGERIA

A few months ago, my friend and I were discussing about the impact of the economic recession on th...

Living in One of the World’s Scariest Neighborhoods

This blog post is written by a 21 year old, living in a conflict-ridden city in Syria The...

The Lady in the Blues

I remember meeting this person a while ago who even though was very intelligent and hardworking, h...

Child Brides: a violation of children's rights

Every year, 15 million girls become child brides. FIFTEEN million girls every YEAR are married by...

Human dignity and freedom in a multi-cultural, multi-religious world

A few days ago, I had to submit an assignment - an essay- on how the correct understanding of a hu...

A journey of our friendship

Things do not happen the way we want them to. And that has been exactly what happened to our frien...

How Exercise Reduces Stress

Midterms are coming up and you have other assignments to worry about. You cannot seem to manage yo...

Trivial pursuits

Social justice Living for the weekend when you don't have to go to school Living for the moment hoping you'll survive till tomorrow Going over to friends houses who have funny tasting water Walking for hours to get fresh water Fighting with friends over petty things, that you loo...

Unheard Voices of Children

Last year, I worked as a researcher for a National Baseline Study on Violence Against Children (NB...

One word Dilemma

My dilemma currently is in the word; Invest. It’s quite known that, when you think of a new project, and you decide to use your time, money, and energy for, you prepare for every set back and failure along the way, the loss doesn’t matter as you have a plan B as a detour. You th...