#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

You are all it takes

I observe a lot, which is one of my strengths that has given birth to several thoughts. I'd like to...

Play: The desire

It is well known that the "journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step". I am quite sure y...

Save the planet, save children!

I just came back from the USA after completing a year as a Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (Y...

GEN X vs. GEN Y

This was the topic for my extempore when I was applying for a post in "some" company. It baffled me...

Rekindle the flame within us

We were born curious.Curiosity is the basis of any human endeavour which makes us different from oth...

Single moms

I am the daughter of a single mom. Single parenting is constantly increasing at the rate of 15 mill...

Yes, I have a black dog

Imagine you are seeing a psychiatrist because you have no idea what's happening to you.Imagine you have just been diagnosed with a mental disorder.Imagine you are self harming.I have a good life. Whether or not my life is good might be subjective; but let's just stick with that I have a good one. My...

Welcome to a stressed-out student club

This post was originally published on Voices of Youth Cambodia by Monineath Nop, on the occasion of...

The uncertainty after college

This post was originally published on Voices of Youth Cambodia by Vanly Keomuda, on the occasion of...

Getting lost to get found

This post was originally published on Voices of Youth Cambodia by Chheng Sotharath, on the occasion...