#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

Eyes of Green

You are watched. When you look at me,The reflection of your eyes looks back.I can see your shirt and...

A grateful letter

I acknowledge that sometimes life can get really hard. Still I am very grateful with what I have enc...

Is sex education necessary in school?

Sex education helps people gain knowledge, information, and skills to make healthy decisions about s...

Why it's important to take mental health days

There was a time where most people used to feel uncomfortable when they heard the term "mental healt...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

...As the days roll by

AS THE DAYS ROLL BY, I bow my head in shame and look up to the sky to feel a reassurance within my s...

Strings

Some of us have strings wound around our bones and souls stretching into the sky,Some of us have thr...

Refugees

Since a long time ago I had been very curious about the “Refugees” issue and had planned an article...

7 Cups: A Caring Revolution

As a psychology major currently in university, I have always been interested in mental health – its...

The ultimate rejection letter

Four years ago, I applied for a scholarship to go off to study abroad during high-school. The schola...