#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

Homesick-Less

Dear family, To a father, a mother and a younger sister. To papa, maa and Jiya. It’...

You're Smart for a Girl

When I attempted to join my school’s academic team in fifth grade, I saw that the team was made...

Reading

Dear someone in particular, hard cover, yet so protected. paper bound, yet not fragile....

The Irony of Inclusive Education: Students with Disabilities

The general concerns expressed by the young people with disabilities are numerable, especially in the developing countries of the world. While youth with visual impairment face the difficulties of accessing education, reading material, people with physical disabilities face barriers due to n...

The Commitment for Female Education

Education is a human right and need for everyone in the world. How I wake up every morning taking...

Drought in Kenya

Kenya is facing drought. The last time we had adequate amounts of rainfall was last year's long ra...

Cairo Life

Cairo... either you love it or you hate it. For some it's an ugly city. Yes, it really is an old,...

Responsibility: An Essential Ingredient for Success

After I was done with my grad school and have had some experiences in field data collection, I hav...

The perks of being ME

I am me. This is all I have got. I know my talents and I know my weaknesses. I know how my brain...

A Treasure to Share With You

Hey everyone! It is always a joy to share with you people what I think, feel, create... And of cou...