#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

Kaleidoscope

As a young 10 year old I remember making a simple kaleidoscope. I was awe struck by the marvellous p...

Reflection

A strong relationship I have with words and letters urges me to write. To befriend white papers and...

Girl child

Hello, I am from Taveta, Kenya and I am one of the beneficiaries of the Jielimishe Program in schools here in my country. Jielimishe aims to improve school attendance for vulnerable girls. I did my Kenya Certificate of Secondary School last year in Mombasa. Throughout my journey I have become more...

Young

Sweet delight is youth,when time heals and doesn’t rob yet,flames of verve burncoloring the irises,...

The Desperate Walk To Basics in Mhondoro

71km away from Harare in Mashonaland West, lies a communal location known as Mhondoro Chivero. It is...

TEAM CHANGETHEWORLD

She allowed me to live in Nigeria. There I visited a local marketplace and tried some “gray watery S...

Promises

If you’re anything like me, you’re devilishly good-looking, charming, humorous, confident without be...

The Pearl of the Orient Seas Meets the Green City in the Sun

UNICEF recently gave a group of young people from different parts of the world an opportunity to int...

Synergizing Towards Educating Africa

Growing up, my father would always say "consider yourself fortunate, a lot of kids your age or even older do not enjoy the privilege you do". He also said something very profound, “You don’t need to experience lack, disability, or loss to empathize or reach out to people who are in need, we share sa...

Concordia Cobbers and The 2017 NAFSA Advocacy Day

In the morning as we waited in Senator Amy Klobuchar’s office with the files of the different issues...