Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

NAVISS... Where bridges were built

Where? -Monastir, Tunisia When? – 3rd-10th of August 2014 Who? -20 participants in additio...

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

(Plenty of Youths Get) Left Behind

The introduction of youths into political and decision-making spaces is a fairly new thing. Malays...

What is Money to You(th)?

Do the youths really know about money? We all know the definition of money as a medium of exchan...

"HUMANITY" AN AFRICAN EXPRESSION

Humanity! Ubuntu! Bantu!anthu!abantu! All but words that have the same meaning in linguistic nature. Humanity! A symbol that once kept Africa united and saw people come together to fight a common era. Ubuntu! We came from all corners of the diaspora and fought a common era - slavery....

What matters most to youth? Part 2

Have you had an experience that upended your views or enlightened your view concerning certain iss...

They say : "Poverty is the cause of crime"

"Poverty is the cause of crime". This statement is usually used for the defense of the poor people, but which justifies the preference of previous suspicions that the police have. These foundations are based on the assumption that the poor people act by crime to survive. But in reality it is...

Anywhere you can make the difference :)

To help others, it is not necessary to leave the country or go further away from where you live. There are places, community centers where you can make a difference in the smallest ways. In September, I will help people with reduced motor skills in Fatima. I decided to volunteer with a fri...

Act or accept, Young people Take action!

Hi everyone! Current societies run faster than ever, that´s why new things are more desired a...

Photography for storytelling

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post e...