Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Is sex just a social union?

Many a time, I have tried to survey and parry the questioning effect on sex and its constituents. I believe it is a redefined commitment entitled to both parties (man & woman) on a divine standard. The world we live in today defines sex as a 'social commitment', which is a taboo to fundamental n...

A Student From New York Was Accepted To All 8 Ivy League Schools In Am...

A 17 year old boy has recently been accepted to all TOP 8 Ivy League Schools in America. We should...

Save Children Through Education

Every child is born with the right to education. Education is the most important aspect in every c...

Making sign language the world's language

(Santoshi Budhathoki, 18, Nepal, 2014) Created at the 2014 Nepal OneMinutesJr. workshop on "Child...

Age category winners - a scholarship with $25, 000 for each winners education co...

Source: http://www.fundsforngos.org/cambodia/students-1318-years-age-enter-google-scienc...

An Opportunity to excel

Dear VOY The minute I saw this I thought of you young people as an opportunity to showcase your abilities and be rewarded, it is open for all young people around the world so please grab it and shine. Best of luck.

How to keep children safe in a 24\7 digital world

Technology makes it so easy for kids to connect and share things with friends and family no matter...

Climate Change and Child-led

The Zambian economy is predominantly based on the exploitation of the country's natural resources. T...

Give Life A Cushioned Seat

'How has life been treating you?' That was one of the ways I said 'hi' to my friends and foes, until some years ago when it dawned on me to rephrase it into 'how have you been treating life?' My personal response to this was: I am highly terrific and I am giving life an awesome treat! Encarta Dicti...

We all need inclusive education

Around the world, we see how people contribute to the development of their societies. There is no...

Is the right to education linked to age, freedom from abuse, or the du...

For how long does the right to education extend? Yashika Bageerathi is about to be deported. She...