Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

My Earth; My Responsibility

Earth is a beautiful living planet of the Universe as the common habitat of more than 7 billion human population & millions of species of biodiversity. Our Earth provides us with food, shelter & with most of our requirements. Despite unavoidable free services provided by earth to h...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/radio-workshop-monique-jansen

Monique Jansen

Monique Jansen is from Atlantis in Cape Town, shares her learning journey within the Children's Ra...

International Day for Poverty Eradication: The Air We Daily Breathe.

17th October marks the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. I take it that this day onl...

World Food Day 2014 and Family Farming

Some of you would really be surprised about the fact that nearly everyday is an international day...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...

Handwashing: A Free Vaccine Against Out-breaking diseases.

Today, 15 October 2014, marks the Global Hand-washing Day. This marked events really helps educa...

Education, especially in emergencies

100 million children and young people are affected by natural disasters every year. More than half o...

Transport Maroantsetra

In Maroantsetra, the main roads of the inhabitants are the waterway. The villages are connected by...

Holiday Activities

The school holidays start from June 26th (national holiday) and end at the end of September. Our t...

International Day of the Girl Child

The “International Day of Girl Child” passed only a few days ago on 11th October with the them...