Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

CRC@25

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), is a treaty ratified by a almost a...

DEFORESTATION - WASTED RESOURCES

Zambia is known to have one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. This is mainly becaus...

Rubbish Heaps in Industrial Areas in Solwezi

Waste management practices and proper disposal seem to be a challenge in Solwezi district of North...

Minorities in the Arts

There are two African-American women who have been on the arts radar recently--Misty Copeland and...

A tale of tears and tails

A common but widely ignored predicament is the indifference people show towards animals. Particula...

Adopting Global Warming

Decades of climate change brings risks that people will accept higher temperatures, with more heat waves, downpours & draughts as ‘normal’ & complicate government plans to do more to cut greenhouse gas emissions. “Because the last three decades have seen such a significant ri...

Helping young talent blossom - Art Fusion 2014

In many posts I have done previously on VoY, I have brought to you stories of youth initiatives an...

Is it controversial? - LGTB rights

"Dude that's so gay" When did phrases like this become an insult? Have you ever been called "faggo...

Words of wisdom - from around the globe

Grace: 长江后浪推前浪, 一代更比一代强 (Chinese) As in a river, the energy and vigor of the new generation excels the last one. Each generation will excel and surpass the last. 种一棵树的最佳时机是20年前,次佳时机是现在 (Chinese) The best tim...

When is it your right to have access to contraceptives? 18 or when you...

The debate about when adolescents should have access to contraceptives has been discussed for years and we have created a strategy that is full of flaws. Currently it is believed that a person at the age of 14 can be sexually active but they can only gain access to contraceptives at the...