Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

One of the best films I have ever seen.

I believe everyone has a great potential inside and is capable of succeeding. But there can be peo...

Leaving our lives in the hands of Heads of State

I am writing this post after a whole day of observing negotiations at the ministerial meeting of Small Islands States in preparation for climate change summit in Lima. I was placed at a table towards the back on the room with a clear label: OBSERVER. A few government officials of the Seychel...

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Dear friends ! I am happy to make a little post for you again after a long time of absence. Si...

Youth (un)employment

Employment is an essential topic in public policy because for many a job is much more than a salar...

A Lack of Cultural Understanding

With the international tensions that are going on these days, I feel the need to write this article. These days, I feel like people pay more attention to politics a little more than culture. People pay more attention to any governments' bad actions, thinking that it reflects people's beliefs. Peopl...

Generations

It's a classic: when speaking of generations, the oldest ones are always the best. The old one have read more, studied a lot, were more hardworkers. And all of them - the oldest one- look with a particular concern for the age group now between 20 and 30 years: "Unfortunatelly, youth people a...

Education is key

Eduacation. I am one of those people who believes that education of the youth is the key to everything. I could even go as far a saying that it is they key to world peace.Stimulating the minds of young people is one of the most important things a parent can do for their young kids. I've seen...

The New Yam Festival!

The New Yam festival of the Igbos of South-Eastern Nigeria is a truly significant part of our cult...

EDUCATE EVERY CHILD

Education is the impartation of knowledge and I do believe this should be an all life thing that everyone should be exposed to everyday. This is good for everyone especially the children. Let's not confine education to the formal education that children get from schools. This has led to most childre...

Finally happy, finally home

After a very long time, I finally have a post to write! Forgive me this post will be personal but...