Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Different Topics for Sociology Dissertation

Writing a dissertation is tough but writing a dissertation on a topic like sociology can make things very difficult for students. Students don’t take interest in writing a dissertation on topics like sociology. Sociology is a study of human behavior, development, and organizations. It enco...

Smiling faces as Ukrainian boys win OneMinutesJr award 2014

AMSTERDAM, 30 November 2014 - The winners of the OneMinutesJr 2014 were announced by UNICEF and th...

Why Indian families dont consider a girls will before marriage

Many girls give up their careers their dreams under the pressure of marriage from family. Many parents dont look for their daughters happiness but fear from society and marry their daughters without their daughters will. Women have been given so many rights why not give them the right to cho...

International Volunteers Day

Recently on 5th December, 2014, we observed "International Volunteers Day" with the theme "People's Participation. Make Change Happen, Volunteer!". Being a youth & a volunteer myself, "International Volunteers Day" was of great importance to me. As I have been placed as an ICS (Inter...

What is volunteering worth?

The major highlight of my week was planning a radio outreach with Volunteer in Nigeria for the Int...

Searching for Scale Free Values: A TED Talk

Recently, I was fortunate enough to attend a TED talk about education. As a student, I found it extremely rewarding and interesting. I thought I'd share the TED talk of Steve Brown, the Founder and CEO of Ignite Channel, with you! What drives your passion and motivates you? Why do you do w...

How did YOU become a Human Rights advocate?

Hello everyone! Briefly about me I coordinate youth activism at Amnesty International Chile al...

Open Season

Skin as brown as dust They look at you They judge you Bang Bang They shoot you down Skin the color of dark chocolate Stripped of name Stripped of culture Stripped of freedom Stripped of justice A child still yet to become an adult Victimized and...

My story with movies and series

Every one of us is a fan of something, each one has his hobbies and likes things, things that make...

Who builds Peace in Colombia?

Peace talks seem to be the only topic people address when they refer to peace in Colombia and it´...