Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Education in the 21st Century

One major problem facing education, besides making it available for everyone, is having it evolve...

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR??

During the holidays we usually have our close relatives at home to spend the summer holidays with us in order to keep the family bond of love and unity. One afternoon, i heard someone singing words grinnin’, sweating’, kissing’ hugging’ fucking' touching’ lovin’ and to my dismay...

Private companies want to scoop up your child's data. Read more: http://...

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/online-education-run-amok-113208.html

Politico: Online Education Run Amok

By: Caitlin Emma Massive open online courses, first envisioned as a way to democratize higher education, have made their way into high schools, but Washington is powerless to stop the flood of personal data about teenage students from flowing to private companies, thanks to loopholes in...

We can change how the business world works

In the old world, every business had the prime objective of satisfying its shareholders. It was a...

Is Online Education the Answer?

One of the things we discussed at the South Jersey UN Day at St. Joseph High School was Education...

Why learn how to code?

Have you ever wondered what it is, behind the screen of your computer? How have we, people, manage...

Code Like a Girl !

Through few years now, I had some experience in helping kids with their school subjects such as En...

http://imgur.com/QDXb7JS.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/QDXb7JS

Amazing young filmmakers come to Amsterdam for OneMinutesJr Awards 201...

Five refugee children from Syria are among the 15 young people who have been nominated for the One...

Ebola Virus? keep action!

Ebola's term comes from the Ebola River in Congo. Ebola is the most famous topic among the cou...