Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Sequel: Am I African Enough?

I am from Kenya. I come from Kenya. I identify with Africa as a continent of origin. Africa is not...

Rural youth need agricultural skills

What do you think about skills for rural and urban youth? Are they the same? The answer is positiv...

Girl Rising - what girls want

Imagine a world without girls. A world occupied by arrogant and naïve men. Imagine you have no moth...

"Be A Voice, Not An Echo."

The first time I heard and read about John F. Kennedy, I almost thought he was a god! I thought he w...

21 Questions!

I don't know how to start this note or make the words suitable for everyone to understand. Well the...

OneMinutesJr. Simple Math

(Mohamed Mysoor Arshath, 15, Sri Lanka, 2014) Faced with discrimination, a young man teaches his i...

Help Others In Need

I have researched on a website called www.dosomething.org. The following website has made me realise what children were doing with their education in 2012. The website had the following points: 1. As of 2012, 31million primary-school pupils worldwide dropped out of school. An additional 32...

Into a Bird's Eye View

Do you use your eyes wisely? – There is a large variety of perspectives, which one of them is yo...

Education - Theoretical or Practical?

We go to school to learn, to be acquainted with a literal KIND of knowledge which gives us the abili...

Right to Good Quality Education

“All children and young people have a right to primary education, which should be free” (UN Co...