Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Don't Abuse Me! Use Me!

A Child is a person below the legal age of 18 years, as stipulated by the laws of Zambia. By virtue of been human children are entitled to rights which are known as child rights. It is unfortunate that despite Zambia been a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Ch...

The Wrong Kind of Different

Today is modern to be different. Different from the crowd, to stand out, to be unique in a way. In...

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone! I am so excited about blogging on VOY and seeing as this is my first post, I thoug...

Don´t be silly

Hello guys! Today there is something very special I want to talk about DON’T BE SILLY! Many thin...

IN THE SPIRIT OF MALALA

Another Malala Day is here. A day set aside not just to celebrate Malala Yousafzai. It is a day fo...

"'It is not enough to tell people that FGM is illegal,' says FGM...

Source: http://www.girleffect.org/news/2014/02/zero-tolerance-to-fgm-2014/

5 Ways Young People Can Help End FGM

When we hear about organizations working towards a change for the better, we think that we cannot do anything to help because we lack the money, time, resources, or power to do anything significant. However, I have realized that simply being aware of these issues and being able to communicat...

Taking action to bring about change, a group of media nomads took the initiative...

Source: http://bit.ly/1tGwikW

From community mapping to postive change

What would I do if I were a millionaire?

That’s a very difficult question as there are so many problems that I would like to solve. At first, I thought of what discourages me most in my life and of what injustice I see. And I saw the old people around that are just disrespected and who aren’t treated fairly. It makes my heart b...

Knowledge

The value of the knowledge gained is in its use. It is not business as usual, we do not need to take...

THE MILLIONAIRE QUESTION

In my country Nigeria, there is a post-university national service requirement. During my national service at North-Central Nigeria, I worked at a secondary school (high school) with almost no basic facilities. The school had only one typewriter and two shelves (supposed to be a library) wit...