Education: The Big Picture

An Ivorian refugee child reads from a chalkboard at a school in the town of Douplay, in Nimba County.

© UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0025/Frederic Sautereau

Why can’t every child go to school?

Every girl and boy has the right to a good education, but millions of children and young people miss out. Education isn’t just about finding a job. When one is educated one is more likely to be aware of his/her rights, and better able to make sure that those rights are respected. Education gives people choices-- and the confidence to take advantage of those choices.

Education is important not just for the individual, but also for members of the individual’s community. For example, a student can share what she has learned about staying healthy with her family. She can teach her friends about safety issues. She’ll be in a better position to be an active, participating member of her community and may even convince someone of the value of an education for every child. She’ll also be exercising her right to education, which is a right defined in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Some of the reasons why so many children might not be able to attend school include:

• Poverty: Families may have difficulty affording school fees or the cost of uniforms, or may need and children to work to contribute to the family income.
  • Safety: Families may keep their children at home if they feel the journey to school is too long or that it's dangerous to walk to school alone. They may also be worried about bullying, sexual harassment or violence, especially for girls.
  • Local traditions: In some countries, families place more emphasis on the education of boys, and may not believe it is important to send their daughters to school. Girls may also be forced to marry young, drop out of school, and dedicate themselves to housework.
  • Emergencies: Conflicts, economic crises and natural disasters prevent millions of children around the world from getting an education.

Other forms of education

Most often we think of schools when we think about education, but learning happens in other ways too:

• Non-formal education involves learning via organized activities outside of school. For example, teens learn organizational and leadership skills by volunteering in their community or being part of a youth organization.
  • Informal education happens while talking to friends or parents. For example, one can learn important life skills such as how to prevent HIV by discussing it with friends.

Why are girls doing bad in science and mathematics?

Girls and young women today are pretty familiar with computers and the Internet, and it may seem like they don't need encouragement anymore. But, to keep girls interested in science and mathematics, as well as believing they have something to contribute to areas like technology, hardware and softwar...

Examination Malpractice by learners

Examination practice has become very rampant such that learners as well as those re-writing exams are not ashamed to talk about it. It is high time somebody did something to reverse this very bad trend so that Zambian exams can become credible again. "Do away with malpractice" should be our...

Re-entry Policy is Under Review in Zambia

As an educator I have observed both advantages and disadvantages of the re-entry policy. However, there are more disadvantages than advantages. Well, the main advantage is the girl child getting back to class. Their performance will be affected, and the main disadvantage is that she may beco...

Vulnerable Children

Vulnerable children have been disadvantaged in many areas. The strategy that can be used to improve the performance of these children in schools are stated as follows: (1) Subjects where they are not doing well must be identified and helped by both parents, teachers, and the community....

Root Of Delinquency in Public Schools

Are teachers responsible for pupils delinquency in public schools (government schools)?

Access to quality education for young Africans

I just want to share my reaction towards Education in Africa; I think it would be excellent, if th...

School furniture

Great story here! We produced this film in Derventa, a small city in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in la...

If I were a Millionaire........

In this modern 21st century, money has become the part of human life. Money in the world is a fact...

If you could add or take away one component of the Internet as it exis...

Let me start by saying that the Internet is literally the greatest thing mankind has ever invented. One might say that this is hyperbole, but I lack the words to describe the importance of the internet in this day and age. Vital would not even come close to doing it justice. I am hard presse...

Using Human Right Issues to Political platform

In Bangladesh, human rights have been humiliated in every step of our lives in Bangladesh. Minorit...