Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Girls and Education is everywhere!

Since learning Amharic (here and there) I had begun listening to Amharic music. I stumbled across this song called 'Taitu'. I listened to the song non-stop for a few days. I sort of gathered by the English subtitles about educating girls and my heart leapt for joy! My favourite topic in a so...

Youth entrepreneurship represents major engine of African growth

Africa was the birthplace of civilization, but the continent as we know it today is in many ways a...

Since You Are Young...

Young age is called as the most influential age at which persons are more active, healthy and expe...

Campus: Then What? Success?

So I am just wondering, what are the options open for me after I graduate? I am visualizing what w...

Youth Assembly at the United Nations: Time to Unite Youth!

Once again, I was honored to join hands together with my young leaders in organizing an incredible...

They bullied us, now we are stronger !

My parents had me after eight years of marriage; I was their first child and you can imagine what...

KELILALINA TEAM GLOBE

Hi everybody! The group “Akaka” from the Globe at Kelilalina is happy to talk to you. We a...

World Radio Day - Portrait 2

Radio is a very active media, even the poor can afford it. Join Neema Charles Mchachu, a Tanzanian young reporter, and her story about the impact of radio on her life.

World Radio Day - Portrait 1

Higness Daniel is a Tanzanian young reporter who sees radio as a great opportunity for children to share about their feelings and rights in solving their challenges.

World Radio Day

Meet Young Tanzanian reporters in the hot discussion about the benefits of radio to their lives. They are so excited to celebrate #WorldRadioDay...Happy Radio Day everyone! Check out two more short portraits below: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/world-radio-day---portrait-1...