Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Does race or wealth determine your destiny?

"What the white used to say about the blacks we now say about the poor." Chinua Achebe (Anthills of the Savannah) Many people are born in the same country yet have different destinies. Whilst some people think it is out of our control whilst others believe it is in their complete control....

Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from th...

The New Era for the Youth

The Philippines' National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal once said, "Ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan."...

We are Offering Ambassadorships to Young People in Conflict-Affected A...

Youth to End Sexual Violence is a network of young people, dedicated to ending the use of rape and...

Inspirational Quotes

1. The man who waits for things to turn up has his eyes fixed on his toes. (Creswell Mac Laughlin) 2. The mind by passion, driven from its hold, becomes a feather to each wind that blows. (William Shakespeare) 3. Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. (Martin Luther King...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

http://imgur.com/dj5aHxX.jpg

Source: http://i.imgur.com/dj5aHxX.jpg

What are the barriers to education in Brazil & Mexico?

Yesterday a really interesting event took place at the UNICEF offices in New York. A group of yout...

SO THERE'S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT?

SO THERE’S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT? When I ask people questions regarding climate change I rece...

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA

THE VOICE OF SOCIAL MEDIA# In today’s world people can communicate over great distances. You...

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This...