Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Combating crime is everyone's responsibility

Empowering learners against crime Our learners have to feel safe at their schools as well as wit...

Soccer Without Borders: Development and Peace in Nicaragua

Soccer Without Borders (Fútbol Sin Fronteras) celebrated International Day of Sport. Soccer Witho...

The Perks of Web Activism

With the rise of social media and online communities, the tech savvy young are continually penetra...

What are the causes of the increase in prostitution rates in Kabwe?

Prostitution as a whole has become a serious draw back in the development of the country; this is...

Its been a good ride!

This is my last month in the VOY internship. I have had an amazing time for the past six months; I have met some pretty amazing friends and interacted intellectually with a few great minds from Africa and beyond. I have had strong critics in my posts, and had my stories read by so many peopl...

Our world of information

Let me take us back through memory lane. People have been creating relentless strides in regards to...

Sanitation and Humanity

Water and sanitation are simply the care of water systems, be it water systems in homes or river s...

Who is the victim in cyber bullying?

Who's the victim: the bully who was once bullied or you who are being bullied? Lately the numb...

Greening the Grey in Kwacha Community

Chipembele is a club at Mitanto Secondary school in Kitwe, Zambia. It discusses more about the env...

Quest for Internet Access at Luanshya Secondary School

The internet has become part of our everyday life because of its ease access and diversity. Today,...