Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Global Voice for Change Learning Video

Plan International spoke to young people we work with in four countries to explore how they are communicating with each other and what they would like to do if they were able to connect with young people in other countries. The video above summarises what they said. Click here to le...

Words can destroy people

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with depression. I knew I was depressed, but after I was diagnos...

Art is forever (?)

Almost every piece of writing from Baekje or Goguryeo* isn't available to us. Why? Because they do...

Forced marriages on the rise in the time of Ebola

Posted by Christiana, Plan youth blogger 21 November 2014: My name is Christiana. I am 17 years...

Stop. Don’t fall. We have a journey to pursue.

I’m not sure whether it’s a request or a simple truth. But I’m sure it’s the only possibil...

A book of life?

I apologise for this kind of post as it is not very typical! I am currently surrounded by notebooks and I am currently finishing off a presentation that I have coming up. Through all of this in the back of my mind I am thinking about the next academic year. Next year will be my last year i...

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF HAPPINESS- Lessons to Learn

All around the world, the 20th of March is being dedicated to celebrate 'Happiness' every year....

Promoting Youth Employment at Graduate and Secondary Levels

Introduction Youth unemployment is the most pressing economic and social problems in the world...

Learn more about Global Voice for Change and the Youth Steering Commit...

What is Global Voice for Change? Global Voice for Change is a pilot project with young people in...

Striving for recognition

By Fai, 23, Thailand, youth delegate, Team CRVS November 2014: My name is Pawana, but everyone...