Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Ebola versus education

By Kamanda (19), Plan Global Youth Advisory Panel (GYAP) member. Just 12 years ago my country...

Children's Hackathon: innovation shapes children's lives

We can no longer turn a blind eye to a viral disease breaking out in distant West Africa; we can n...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/alex-fm-young-reporters/bigger-than-life-education-2

THE IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATION

THE YOUTH IN ALEXANDRA TOWNSHIP WERE ADDRESSING CHALLENGES ABOUT EDUCATION

http://imgur.com/h6PAQWu.jpg

Source: http://imgur.com/h6PAQWu

Counting sheep in Afghanistan: teaching video skills in a remote villa...

We travelled to the Ahangaran Valley in the Bamyan province of central Afghanistan to work with lo...

INTERNET SAFETY AND PROTECTION

The Internet can be a wonderful resource for children. They can use it to research school reports, communicate with teachers and other kids, and play interactive games. Children who are old enough to punch in a few letters on the keyboard can literally access the world - but that access can...

Scholarships play a vital role in education

Taking a walk down the streets of Yaounde, the capital city of Cameroon, I overheard two young peo...

Braving workplace harassment: snowballing to a better world

Recently, I was invited to lead a seminar designed to introduce students at Polytechnic Institute...

Achieving Food Security in Times of Crisis

We observed “International Food Day” on 16th October. This year theme of the day was “Family Farming – Feeding the World, Caring the Earth”. Family farming helps in achieving food security by eradicating hunger, improving livelihoods, achieving sustainability etc. In this moder...

Be Motivated

As I sat on my chair this afternoon faced up with one of my hands on my cheek and leg crossed, I beg...

THE ONLY WAY OUT OF POVERTY IS……

As a student and youth advocate in my country Cameroon, I took a recent trip in the Northern part...