Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Let's Look to the Future of the Environment As Well

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan took over 10,000 lives in the Philippines, leaving the island country devastated. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011 killed about 19,000 people and released nuclear radiation into the soil. These recent weather disasters can be explained by global warming. In...

Why Universal Public Education Should Matter to Everyone

“All I want is an education, and I am afraid of no one.” These are the words of Malala Yousafzai, the youngest person to ever receive the Nobel Peace Prize, a front-cover feature in Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential” issue, and the author of her own bestselling novel, I Am Mala...

L'oranais, an Algerian movie

Most of us like cinema, like seeing movies and watching series. Many of us like actors and there a...

Youth and politics

In this ambitious world of ours where we are living within an ethically composed web, acquiring political literacy is a matter of predominant importance. The true regimen of politics is to shape a proportional and egalitarian society denoting integrity and lawfulness but it seems to be cover...

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers--My Crusade

When you are trying to change the world, and everyone around you says “no”, you are most likel...

A Fresher’s Plight: Bagging a Good First Job

Fresh out of college or nearing the end of your final semester in college, getting your first job...

Men, Gender Equality is your issue too

It's been over one month since Emma Watson's speech was presented at the UN but I relate to it tim...

Journey with Voices of Youth

Sometimes I feel that time is running too fast and this feeling has become stronger as I am wondering how fast has time passed as it is already five months of my internship with Voices of Youth blogging. However, I am very glad that I am part of VOY and got this golden opportunity to share m...

WHY ABSTINENCE ALONE JUST WONT CUT IT

In this generation it is normal to see young people going out and dating but not so long ago durin...

PRESSURES FACED BY THE YOUTH

Youths take up most of the world’s population and so when there are problems they are the most a...