Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

The Plight of Nigeria's Legacy

Legacy as the word sounds and implies, takes its meaning synonymous to ethics and values passed do...

One Million: Use It To Enrich Libraries

I usually hear that people read less than in the past. Should we accuse them of this? On the one h...

Education

It is every child's right to get the best education in the world. But when they are in a classroom, the teachers should always give equal rights to all students without seeing their background whether they are poor or rich, dark or fair, a smart student or a failure student. I think it is in...

Have You Seen The Future?

That's the kind of question, you don't get often. Well, i have seen it; and how the firmament, with gaudy clouds and safe havens made a home for man. How a nation, as mighty as fate, worked in peace. How employers revised no preferential treatment; how schools were built and laid on transparent edu...

Is migration wrong?

Hello guys! I´d like to talk about something that’s been concerning to me very deeply ever sinc...

SIDS YOUTH GLOBAL ACTION DAY - 24TH JULY 2014

To commemorate the SIDS Youth Global Action Day I thought I would write a post about small island...

A little bit on Romanian youth

This week I’ve been thinking about the youth in Romania and about its passions and interests. And slowly, I began to observe that these have started to estrange from culture, knowledge, true love or a lot other things that the human being is to be admired for. Let me explain this phenome...

Social media: A common activity

Using social media is one of the most common activities among today's youth. A recent survey in th...

Life as an EM

Even if I'm a permanent resident of Hong Kong or even if I can still be considered as a Hong Konge...

What can money do?

Money is an important and very useful mean in our days, it gives us the chance to enjoy the life a...