Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

stand_strong

"I will . Never give in to the stereotypes associated with young people . Promote the positive work...

BURNING THE BRIDGE (A Tale of Insurgents and Western Education)

Education is a thing of pride. It refines an individual's mentality and perspective and makes such...

Bangles for Basics…

“I earn more than my husband”, Naila states while a customer approaches her shop. The sentence...

Tuition fee in Ukraine: against and for

I have not written an article on the topic “Is it controversial” and I think it is time to do...

Earning money for the homeless, hungry, and our country

Last Thursday, me and a group of people were having a big discussion about how we can help others....

Congratulations Malala! A young girl against Taliban.

Terrorism is hurting our world, it’s harming our children, and it’s killing us every day. Thou...

Searching for Scale Free Values: A TED Talk

Recently, I was fortunate enough to attend a TED talk about education. As a student, I found it ex...

Gender Equality. Then, Now and the Future.

Opened eyes, closed eyes. When I open my eyes, I can see the gender equality revolution. Suddenly...

Why I Believe You Can Be a Human Rights Advocate

By age seventeen, Nam* had been forced into marrying a stranger, bearing his child, and risking he...

Different Topics for Sociology Dissertation

Writing a dissertation is tough but writing a dissertation on a topic like sociology can make things very difficult for students. Students don’t take interest in writing a dissertation on topics like sociology. Sociology is a study of human behavior, development, and organizations. It enco...