Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Blind teacher continues to beat odds

The first cry by a newborn baby usually signals a successful delivery. But to Martha Munjuri, it w...

Universal Education: Opening the Doors to the Future

Plato once said that a man’s education will determine his future in life, and many more have said that it opens doors for the impoverished, the poor, and the less fortunate. A generation’s or a country’s success is often determined by the education it receives. Lyndon B. Johnson (the U...

Stand Up for Education

The word “education” is derived from the Latin “educere,” which means “to lead out.” An educator, logically, would be one who devotes his or her life to leading out the future of this world. What an outstanding vocation teachers follow, then; what a calling! One who draws forth p...

Standardized Testing: Should it be required?

I recently studied for and took the SAT, the standardized test required for admission for many US...

The Brighter Side of Social Media

These days with technology, many people come quick to criticize the use of social media, saying that it provokes social pressure to fit in. Many also argue that social media distracts people from being productive, resulting to a less productive generation. While these problems do exist within our ge...

Make A Change & Take Action

God never changes a condition of a people until they first change themselves. Some of us go to church every week, go to the Mosque every week, and that's all we do. Week after week, we sit in our seats, clap, bear witness, and shout hallelujah, and go home in the same condition we left in. F...

The need for some moments of refreshment and joy.

I was in the car,in the afternoon,returning from a two-hour Latin lesson.The sky had a lot of clou...

Education: The Best Investment

Benjamin Franklin once said, “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." With the expense of colleges on the rise, Ben Franklin indicates the advantages of paying those costs. We invest so much time and effort into expanding our knowledge, and in the end we will receive the greate...

You Are A Miracle

MIRACLES! How many people did you touch today? How many people did your eyes see today?...