Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Who Guide The Guides?

Who guides the body of bodyguards? Who keeps vigilant watch on the vigilantes? Who polices the a...

Education Outside the Classroom: the Quest for True Learning

All academic institutions aspire to form, educate, teach, and instruct the next generation. This m...

Illiteracy: A Curse on Development

The United Nations defines illiteracy as “the inability to read and write a simple message in an...

United Nations ECOSOC Youth Forum 2015

The United Nations ECOSOC Youth Forum 2015 was held from 2-3 February 2015 at United Nations Headq...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 2)

Female Genital Mutilation has no health benefits, rather it has a couple of severe immediate effec...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 1)

Female Genital Mutilation refers to any procedure that intentionally alters or causes injury to th...

Watch Your Head!

A head Injury can be a serious thing - sometimes causing injuries that can lead to change in behaviour, disabilities or even death. Khayelitsha township in Cape Town is one of the most affected areas by brain injuries - related to sport, drinking, fighting and other violence. HeadsUp! is an...

Success is a Journey, Not a Destination

If you ask anyone whether they want to succeed in their life, the most common answer would be “W...

Meager and inconsistent payment of wages is responsible for poor educa...

If you want to be looked down in Cameroon vis-à-vis your career, then say “I am a primary school teacher by profession”. Growing up I know that teaching is a very noble profession and today I will and always give thanks to my primary school teachers, for setting the foundation for my su...

Why create new schools with no structures or teachers?

There are many villages in Cameroon without any primary school to serve the population. Responding to the needs of the population of a given area at times, the government creates primary schools in some localities with no accommodating structures or teachers. This to me is very disappointing...