Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Old and young

This week, a topic seemed to engross me. It wasn’t particularly triggered by something but inste...

Do this one thing for the girl child: volunteer!

Happy International Day of the Girl VOY fam! I look forward to a world where every youth conscio...

THE FUTURE OF AN UNBORN CHILD IN 3rd WORLD COUNTRIES

When a child is born, it is a blessing to the person and the family as well, because children are...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/radio-workshop-is-it-fair

Is It Fair

The Optimistic Youth Reporters are from Cosat High School in Khayelitsha, Cape Town. They asked th...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/transit-getting-hit-by-a-car

Getting Hit By A Car

Kamva thought it'd be a pretty normal day as he made his way to his Khayelitsha school one morning...

What I learnt this past week

I am usually careful about what movie I should spend time seeing because I do not want to feel tha...

Huxley A, Brave New World

I have never enjoyed reading much, probably because when education has a mistaken approach (as it...

Do one thing

Hello guys, the world is full of possitive things that we can do to make the world a better place,...

Dreams do come true! You can make it!

That moment when people of your inner circle don't believe in you.It's really frustruating,isn't i...

Book review: How to win friends and influence people

How to win friends and influence people? This might be a question some of you have asked at some point in the past. Do you think it is about having reputation, about having money or success? Do you have to be an extrovert or to have some dark-magic techniques in order to make people go the w...