Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

ABORTION, AN UNENDING CONTROVERSY; HAVE YOUR SAY

Many see it as legal, others see it as illegal but the bottom line is that it has been an age-long...

In the Worst Year of Child Rights

According to UNICEF Report, 2014, the year 2014 is declared as the worst year for child rights. According to the report, globally 230 million children live in the countries & areas torn by armed conflicts. Children are facing war, violence, atrocities & violence. They are killed, orphaned, k...

The Power of Virtual Volunteering

While studying for final exams at the Trinity College library in Hartford, Connecticut, USA, I rec...

The freedom and power of thought

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin, more even than death. Thought...

Hijab without the Stereotypes

"Don't you ever feel.... You know.... [hands gesturing around face and neck] like....... You know......

I Sought & I Found (My Encounter with the BEST Global Network)

Its been a very experiential journey for me thus far in life. Growing up, I had the opportunity to socialize and integrate with like-minded children in the primary and post-primary days. High school was so lively, having represented my school in debates at the state and national level....

Giving back to the community to the best of my ability

Giving back to the community to the best of my ability I would like to share my story. Bef...

How music has changed over time

Sometime ago, I sat a few rows behind some much older men on a bus. They were discussing loudly an...

Thank you 2014!

It’s really amazing how we develop over the years, how we learn, how we succeed and how we fail...

Foreign Languages in an Interconnected World

Am I the only one that looks at the World Wide trends on Twitter and just sit there for seven hour...