Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

One of the best films I have ever seen.

I believe everyone has a great potential inside and is capable of succeeding. But there can be peo...

Leaving our lives in the hands of Heads of State

I am writing this post after a whole day of observing negotiations at the ministerial meeting of Small Islands States in preparation for climate change summit in Lima. I was placed at a table towards the back on the room with a clear label: OBSERVER. A few government officials of the Seychel...

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Dear friends ! I am happy to make a little post for you again after a long time of absence. Si...

Youth (un)employment

Employment is an essential topic in public policy because for many a job is much more than a salar...

A Lack of Cultural Understanding

With the international tensions that are going on these days, I feel the need to write this article. These days, I feel like people pay more attention to politics a little more than culture. People pay more attention to any governments' bad actions, thinking that it reflects people's beliefs. Peopl...

Generations

It's a classic: when speaking of generations, the oldest ones are always the best. The old one have read more, studied a lot, were more hardworkers. And all of them - the oldest one- look with a particular concern for the age group now between 20 and 30 years: "Unfortunatelly, youth people a...

Education is key

Eduacation. I am one of those people who believes that education of the youth is the key to everything. I could even go as far a saying that it is they key to world peace.Stimulating the minds of young people is one of the most important things a parent can do for their young kids. I've seen...

The New Yam Festival!

The New Yam festival of the Igbos of South-Eastern Nigeria is a truly significant part of our cult...

EDUCATE EVERY CHILD

Education is the impartation of knowledge and I do believe this should be an all life thing that everyone should be exposed to everyday. This is good for everyone especially the children. Let's not confine education to the formal education that children get from schools. This has led to most childre...

Finally happy, finally home

After a very long time, I finally have a post to write! Forgive me this post will be personal but...