Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Is life basically blue, green and yellow?

BLUE: The young soul sat on the beach; just some meters away from the crystal clear sea water. He...

Patriotism

Being proud in the culture and traditions of our country is good and normal. When you take a trip to another country, do you feel proud when you talk about your nationality? But some people think of patriotism as a social problem. Some consider patriotism as a way to be proud of the cultur...

The life-changing gifts I received during my first intense ‘Week-End...

Hola amigos! :) First, I apologise for my 2 weeks of absence. I’m slowly getting back on tra...

Do schools put too much pressure on kids?

In my opinion, schools currently put too much pressure on children. In a way, it shows them the co...

Can you understand me?

I have been on holiday now for 4 months, I have been working in a nursery. Like most places, no one person is the same! Especially the languages they speak. The nursery I work in is very diverse! Staff and children alike are from South America to Asia! I have loved it! I feel like a child...

Gender-Equality, and a Conversation with the UN SRSG-SVC

On Monday, Youth to End Sexual Violence was at the United Nations to advocate for the development...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10549265_700685736647376_1809865485359025340_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFSriLanka/photos/a.247131832002771.58114.183150725...

#Photography for Storytelling

An open invitation to all enthusiasts! Join UNICEF Sri Lanka at this event announcing the 3rd...

Still Alive!

Hey guys! This post is just to assure you that I am still alive and well (: I have been pretty busy with exams. I'm writing my last exam for the term tomorrow so I'm looking forward to posting with more frequency! Things I'm happy about this week: 1) The "re-boot" of Interne...

Forum Theatre: a tool in social development

I want to talk to you today about taking action and making changes. We all know most of the proble...

The future belongs to you(th)!

My name is Artemis. I'm 17,5 years old and I am from Greece. I finished school this year, by taking national exams in order to attend a university to study journalism. Unfortunately, it didn't go well,so I didn't score the marks that were needed. Now, I hope that the upcoming results will be...