Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Education: The Key to Change

High School has gone by more quickly than I would have ever imagined. Most of us get overwhelmed with attempting to balance school, sports, extracurricular activities and social life (if you don’t, you are a super human, props). Time gets so limited that even every second counts. I laughed as a si...

Youth inclusion in governance: #30PercentOrNothing vs. #30PercentForWe...

Many Nigerians have, in recent months, decried the low level of participation of the youth in governance. The issue has become a trending topic both online and offline but this did not just happen in an instant. During a national conference earlier this year, a coalition of youths brough...

The Platform for Geniuses – NTSE

NTSE is National Talent Search Examination that is held every year for Indian students settled in...

One step in the democratization of education is off-campus learning

In recent times, online education has become more and more popular. It began with independent grou...

CRC@25

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), is a treaty ratified by a almost a...

DEFORESTATION - WASTED RESOURCES

Zambia is known to have one of the highest deforestation rates in the world. This is mainly becaus...

Rubbish Heaps in Industrial Areas in Solwezi

Waste management practices and proper disposal seem to be a challenge in Solwezi district of North...

Minorities in the Arts

There are two African-American women who have been on the arts radar recently--Misty Copeland and...

A tale of tears and tails

A common but widely ignored predicament is the indifference people show towards animals. Particula...

Adopting Global Warming

Decades of climate change brings risks that people will accept higher temperatures, with more heat waves, downpours & draughts as ‘normal’ & complicate government plans to do more to cut greenhouse gas emissions. “Because the last three decades have seen such a significant ri...