Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

What can money do?

Money is an important and very useful mean in our days, it gives us the chance to enjoy the life a...

If I was at the Girl Summit

If I was at the Girl Summit these would be my suggestions: I would suggest that countries who wish to end FGM and Child Marriage that they work in partnership with other countries in offering solutions. For example the battle of child marriage being in some cases, girls are married because...

"Hidden Youth": A Rising Phenomenon in Asia

“Hidden youth” is an increasingly popular term in Hong Kong and across Asia (especially Japan)...

NO CHILD SHOULD BE IGNORED. SPEAK UP!

Today, There are 1 out of 5 children that are currently being molested, raped, victimized in there very own homes. Many people underestimate Child Abuse but it is a crime. The United States have prompted stricter litigation on child predators and pornography. The question I pose, What rights...

BRINGING BACK OUR GIRLS TO SCHOOL AND SAFETY

In mid-April this year, we woke up to the heart-breaking news that over 200 girls were taken hosta...

Tourism great wonder

TOURISM My most interesting topic was absolutely tourism. It was the topic I enjoyed and caugh...

We all know our world has to grow, but are we also paying attention on...

Today I’ve chosen to write to you about technology, as it has been around us for some time alrea...

Poppies

Poppies Humanity is a field of poppies. Tepid summers pluck seedlings and rest them in sodde...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...