Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

My wish for children in 25 years time is...

I have had the most interestingly fascinating encounters with children this year alone. In the pro...

Reimagine the future for #EVERYchild

Hi everyone! Check out this inspirational UNICEF video that shows how powerful youth innovatio...

Cinematographic Change – Inspired by Plato

Imagine that you are sitting in a chair in a movie theater for your entire life. The theater is dark and all you can see is the wide movie screen in front of you. You can’t move because your hands and your ankles are tied to the chair. The back of the chair is high above your head so that...

What have particularly marked me recently as an ambitious individual a...

Mauritius Island is not just about stunning beaches, the Sun, summer, beautiful sights, amazing fo...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Con...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/kurura-young-reporters/the-importance-of-education

The importance of Education

The reason why children are sent to school is to set up their goals and reach their dreams.

Safety in the Classroom

Nelson Mandela once famously said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to chan...

Technology & Human Rights

Many young people have been called by their older relatives “magicians” just for helping with...

My wish for children in 25 years time is…......

To my knowledge, the major problems that the children of today's world are facing are malnutrition, gender inequality, child labor, child marriage, female genital mutilation, sexual crimes, war/violence, depression, lack of education, drug addiction, lack of emotional security etc. So, if I...

Gender Inequality

Gender equality In the course of recent history, a growing problem has plagued the world and has also gone unnoticed to all except those who must endure it. One may think that it is the rise of terrorist networks or perhaps the surge of diseases, however this one problem in particular is...