Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Don´t be silly

Hello guys! Today there is something very special I want to talk about DON’T BE SILLY! Many thin...

IN THE SPIRIT OF MALALA

Another Malala Day is here. A day set aside not just to celebrate Malala Yousafzai. It is a day fo...

"'It is not enough to tell people that FGM is illegal,' says FGM...

Source: http://www.girleffect.org/news/2014/02/zero-tolerance-to-fgm-2014/

5 Ways Young People Can Help End FGM

When we hear about organizations working towards a change for the better, we think that we cannot do anything to help because we lack the money, time, resources, or power to do anything significant. However, I have realized that simply being aware of these issues and being able to communicat...

Taking action to bring about change, a group of media nomads took the initiative...

Source: http://bit.ly/1tGwikW

From community mapping to postive change

What would I do if I were a millionaire?

That’s a very difficult question as there are so many problems that I would like to solve. At first, I thought of what discourages me most in my life and of what injustice I see. And I saw the old people around that are just disrespected and who aren’t treated fairly. It makes my heart b...

Knowledge

The value of the knowledge gained is in its use. It is not business as usual, we do not need to take...

THE MILLIONAIRE QUESTION

In my country Nigeria, there is a post-university national service requirement. During my national service at North-Central Nigeria, I worked at a secondary school (high school) with almost no basic facilities. The school had only one typewriter and two shelves (supposed to be a library) wit...

The Role of Language in Multi-lingual societies

Language is the lifeblood of politics, political power struggles, and the legitimization of politi...

All will be fine

Wherever you are, whatever it takes, no matter the distance, I know that one day you will get ther...

Let there be ICTs for all

What impact do social networking sites like Facebook have on our lives? Some might say there are m...