Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Girl Rising - what girls want

Imagine a world without girls. A world occupied by arrogant and naïve men. Imagine you have no moth...

"Be A Voice, Not An Echo."

The first time I heard and read about John F. Kennedy, I almost thought he was a god! I thought he w...

21 Questions!

I don't know how to start this note or make the words suitable for everyone to understand. Well the...

OneMinutesJr. Simple Math

(Mohamed Mysoor Arshath, 15, Sri Lanka, 2014) Faced with discrimination, a young man teaches his i...

Help Others In Need

I have researched on a website called www.dosomething.org. The following website has made me realise what children were doing with their education in 2012. The website had the following points: 1. As of 2012, 31million primary-school pupils worldwide dropped out of school. An additional 32...

Into a Bird's Eye View

Do you use your eyes wisely? – There is a large variety of perspectives, which one of them is yo...

Education - Theoretical or Practical?

We go to school to learn, to be acquainted with a literal KIND of knowledge which gives us the abili...

Right to Good Quality Education

“All children and young people have a right to primary education, which should be free” (UN Co...

Wonderful Torch War

As a young man who is passionate about history and culture, I try to explore all Indonesian cultures...

Nigeria was among the countries with worst education indicators globally.

Source: http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/efa-why-nigeria-may-not-meet-2015-deadline/

"EFA: Why Nigeria may not meet 2015 deadline" Why Nigeria, just WHY?

So I saw this tweet that UN Education Report ‏@EFAReport had posted this morning and I read the article. I read it again and then paused for a moment of thought. The Nigerian students that I have come across have appeared to be rather studious. Seeing this article I now understand why....