Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

“Who will care for us?” and more in the news this week

The first work week of September has been enriching. I got to know about a number of eye-opening p...

Dealing with Academic Pressure

There is a prevalent stereotype that Asian countries heap extreme amounts of academic pressure on...

#TurnThePageOnHateSpeech

#NoHateSpeech ''The world is odd.'' A mystery in the eyes of those who are short sighted... (* well,...

The AIDS crisis,the ''Dallas Buyers Club'' and ''the Normal Heart(s)''...

Let's talk about AIDS. Who has not heard about it? Unfortunately, this pandemic has been a par...

The unemployment : The Drop that Spilled the Glass

If I have to pick one big challenge for youth in my country, it’ll definitely be unemployment. A...

Source: http://bit.ly/1xm0SSR

Safe Travels

For Zahni, safety means being able to walk around without having to be watched by adults. She feel...

A State of Mind During Exam Time

Yesterday I took a pen & paper to write an exciting & informative article about some global issues which I intended to post in VOY blogging page but lot of topics mingled in my mind & finally I decided not to write about them & instead to write about my own state of mind duri...

Challenged by fear of the unkown

Your name: Brighton Mukupa Kaoma Your age: 20 Where are you originally from and where do you...

The Results and a confession.

So...My results were announced on Wednesday. I woke up really early, since I was so nervous & curious to find out if I made it. But, deep down, I had a feeling that I didn't pass to the university I had as a second choice, after journalism. But what I would see was the last thing I could...

7th World Summit on Media for Children

Did you know that the 7th World Summit on Media for Children is coming up soon? It will take place...