Fact Sheet

• In 2008, 100 million children of primary-school age were out of school worldwide. 75 million children were out of school in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children from poor households are less likely to attend primary school. In the richest 20% of households, 90% of children attend school. In the poorest 20%, only 64% of children attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Children in rural areas are also less likely to attend primary school. 86% of children from urban areas attend school, while only 72% of children from rural areas attend. (Based on estimates from 43 countries with more than 100,000 children out of school in 2007 - Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Many children do not go on to secondary school. Worldwide, 84% of children of primary-school age attend school, while only 56% of children of secondary- school age attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Industrialized Countries, 92% of children of secondary-school age attend school, while in Developing Countries only 51% attend. (Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The United Nations Millennium Development Goals set the target of achieving universal primary education (100% attendance) by 2015.

Education in Conflict: Using The Dual Narrative Approach in Palestine'...

The Dual Narrative is a form of narrative that describes a story in two different perspectives, us...

Advocates of change: e-kasi

The Bigger than life team had an interview with a known newspaper in South Africa – the Daily Su...

ANOTHER VIEW TO EDUCATION

As a young person I see it as my responsibility to ensure that children and the youth are educated. Education is power as it is said, and it is a right of every child. My view, however, is that there is still a gap yet to be covered in education systems currently in place in many nations. I can poi...

The new era of education

The amount of people who daily learn and practice different languages through youtube; of those wh...

Displaced by climate- what is your legal status?

It has already started. The effects of climate change have meant that people are being forced to migrate. A case of a family from Tuvalu applied for asylum in New Zealand and although it was granted it was on humanitarian ground on the basis that there had close ties in NZ. In fact the bulk...

In Nomine Servitium

For my first entry, I would like to put in, something that is related to my choice of profession a...

Others can and should inspire us

"I'll keep working hard every day to go and be a champion one day." That’s Simona Halep. And this is one of the many quotes I’ve enjoyed from her and which made me proud of her and determined. This week I decided to speak about this tennis player and her influence on me and my country....

Voice of Youth Inspire! Create a Change Through Leadership Works

Youth leadership is a remarkably important part of the youth development process. In a world which...

EMULATE THE RIGHT ROLE MODELS

Everyone has a dream and growing up we all have someone we will like to emulate in the future. Whe...

Ebola versus education

By Kamanda (19), Plan Global Youth Advisory Panel (GYAP) member. Just 12 years ago my country...