#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

VOY Inspire! - Happiness And A Ninja (Part 1)

In this big, ever-growing complex world of ours, it’s sometimes quite hard to find the right defin...

I am a misfit in this world!

In Feb 2017, I completed my Bachelor Degree. Despite the fact that I have graduated with flying colo...

Inhabitants of the rich world

We, inhabitants of the rich world. Who are we? Are we better than others, than people living in the...

Trial

It stood so broad, Wrapping its support as if to not let go. Reaching to capture the broad atmosphere above it. Only to be displeased for years. It stood, breathing.

The Path Between Financing and Adapting to Climate Change

When facing Climate Change, the possibility of stepping forward would be more successful if we wor...

To self-reflectors aka trouble-makers!

If there is one thing more frustrating about gender inequality other than inequality itself, It is to make others understand the existence of gender inequality in our lives. Most people or organizations are familiar with the concept; but no one sees how they contribute to it. Because It is s...

World Water Day 2017: 'Why Wastewater?''

World water day is held annually on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of...

A Second of your Identity

If you were allowed to take only one photograph of yourself, what would it show? In the twenty-fir...

The Missing Truth

In this age of darkness we need some light. In the brightest of times, We need more sparkles...

A Chalk-Outlined Dread

It’s 7:57 a. m. in the morning. The National Anthem is, earnestly, seeping through the loudspeak...