#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

Hand In Hand

Hand in Hand,They stand around the globe,Only figures,Of a representation,Never really followed.A la...

Epoch of Enterprise

The 21st Century world is entering an epoch of new advancements and highly innovative technology. We...

When there is no way out

It was an irony that I met, she walked in my life at that crucial time.They said they want the best,...

Being Fearless: How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

One of the bestsellers of the summer of 2017, “How to Stop Time” by Matt Haig indeed is a legendary...

Youth vs. Age

Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art. (Stanislaw Jerzy)During life’s paths we ofte...

The Problem: Multinational Corporations

Globalization and the influx of multinational corporations into developing countries are detrimental...

Making the Nigerian Graduates Useful

‘Good afternoon, “corpers”. How are you?’ ‘We’re fine and you?’ ‘I’m okay. Where is your PPA?’ ‘We’re serving at Igbo-odo’. ‘Are you guys in the same place as Seun?’ Seun was the only lady among us whom we were waiting for at the riverbank. ‘Yeah, how do you know her?’ I replied. ‘I d...

Cravings

I won't restrict this word around the circle a dictionary seated on a nightstand to offer it a sacrificial meaning. A dialy ritual of our thoughts is our cravings. A desire to be something. An achievement that would leave an imprint of a career well explored and executed. The need to step up away fr...

The Starry Night

Nobody has the right to decide how you should live your life.Some people would judge you when you de...

Quality Education in Nigeria - the Way Out!

The problem of education in Nigeria at both primary, secondary and tertiary level is huge. It is mas...