#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

HOPE FOR NIGERIA

A few months ago, my friend and I were discussing about the impact of the economic recession on th...

One word Dilemma

My dilemma currently is in the word; Invest. It’s quite known that, when you think of a new project, and you decide to use your time, money, and energy for, you prepare for every set back and failure along the way, the loss doesn’t matter as you have a plan B as a detour. You th...

The Plight of Food Insecurity Affecting The Children Of South Africa

My country of birth, South Africa, is looked at as the beacon of hope for the entire continent of...

The Ethics of football

Has the importance of soccer come out of proportion? Around the globe millions of people are fol...

In Order to Achieve the SDGs

In order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals we need to start including young people toda...

More Power To You

I’d like to share a small story with you all today, It started when my post was published on t...

What is really important?

What does it mean to volunteer? How do you volunteer and what do you get out of it? Let's take a closer look. Lots of people volunteer only for success, or to look good in the community. But there is far much more to that. Here are good reasons to volunteer: - Make others happy...

Creating a Mental Shift about Blogging

It amuses me that in the present age, many people still do not know what blogging is all about. Th...

How Old Will You Be in 2030?

In 2030, I will be 32. The young leaders I interviewed will be anywhere from 29-35 years old. Alth...

Gender Wage Gap

Why are you making more than me? The gender wage gap is a huge problem in the United States that most people might not know about. Women should make the same amount of money as men for the same job, but they don’t. Women make about 80 cents for every dollar that a man makes, for the ex...