#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

One Girl, 7 Generations, 150 Years Secured - Educate

Education has always been neglected and if that education has to be for a girl child, then that was considered to be against the respect of man. It seems obnoxious to hear but yes that's the past or distant past we have seen. Nevertheless we have come a long way in terms of thinking and in t...

5 Careers I Wish I’d Considered In University

It’s an unfortunate fact that many people’s career paths are decided before they’ve even fin...

Gathering hope for an intangible future

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend Jusoor 2016 bootcamp to learn more about entrepren...

Anticipating 2017:What's relevant to the well being of children and y...

In 2017, we renew our commitment towards Zimbabwean children and its young people. For us it is a...

Money Management Tips For Students

As an average college student, you may not have all the money you need to go by. Your main income...

Being 'at the right time at the right place' to get a job!

"A college degree does not mean that you'll get a good job. And if you get a good job, you may not...

New Day, New Dollar

There was this man called Captain Abu, I knew him in 2012 when I was doing my internship in an avi...

My road led me here.

I wasn’t really sure why I got into Pharmacy when I did; I was fond of the idea of travelling around maybe. I wasn’t really the kind of person who knew where things were going, I just went with the flow, I liked that idea, I did it with practically everything in my life, going with the f...

'I am Able': The Commonwealth Youth Council's call for submissions

The Commonwealth Youth Council is currently working on a two-year project, ‘I am Able’, to raise awareness of the lives of young people with disabilities across Commonwealth member states. The Commonwealth believes this is an important issue, as too often the voices, desires, needs and s...

Valparaiso's Global Goals Meeting

After hearing about the Global Goals in 2015 by Hank Green, I was determined to help them become accomplished anyway possible. I decided that the best way to help accomplish those goals was to have a town hall meeting. It is very important to me that people become aware of these goals becaus...