#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

There are so many things that I can't see

When I'm at work, it all feels so strange and far away. The fact that every where there are people...

Child labor in Egypt

In Egypt child labor rates are high and it's very common to find children being forced or influenc...

Reaching out Somaliland Youth on Sustainability

My trip to Hargeisa University – Somaliland was an eye-opening experience in many ways. On top o...

Spoken Word: My Country Nigeria

Standing on the Existing Notion We need immediate medication Everyone is entitled to this na...

A Prisoner In Their Own Community

Prior to 1990 those with disabilities and adaptive equipment faced immense hardships when it came to being able to access public accommodations. 1990 was the year that made a powerful push for equality in our community for the disabled with the establishment of The Americans with Disabilitie...

Living

You live in a small town/city. The town/city is located in a state. The state is located in a coun...

Survival mechanisms

They expect you to know, the techniques of survival and being whole. They expect you to answer the questions thrown at you from each angle, the personal and non-personal ones, the ones you ask yourself, and the ones you’re asked on daily basis, and on big occasions, they expect you to defi...

For Every Child: Safer Internet

Safer Internet Day is a day that is aimed at raising awareness on cyberbullying, stalking and all...

My Review of "Too Many Bosses Too Few Leaders" Book

While there might be many factors behind failure in projects, business and life as well, I found...

Untrue

Thursday is often for sleep. Last Thursday, it was sleep till noon then, I woke up feeling as heav...