#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

My Introduction as an Environmentalist and how you can do the same

This is a speech I made for my Architectural Essays class as an introduction to our class. Hel...

Gathering hope for an intangible future

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend Jusoor 2016 bootcamp to learn more about entrepren...

Anticipating 2017:What's relevant to the well being of children and y...

In 2017, we renew our commitment towards Zimbabwean children and its young people. For us it is a...

New Day, New Dollar

There was this man called Captain Abu, I knew him in 2012 when I was doing my internship in an avi...

Inspire. Empower.

Do you want to be a leader? Do you have a passion? Do you want to make a difference in this world? If you answered yes to this questions, you and I already have few things in common. My name is Ximena Coronado, I'm 15 years old, and I'm an environmental activist. It all truly began when...

2017-New Year: new obstacles and new dreams

Hello everyone! First of all, I want to wish you all a happy new year with all my heart. It’s be...

I AM BECAUSE WE ARE!

The biggest challenge impacting the youth of today's generation is the battle they fight from with...

'I am Able': The Commonwealth Youth Council's call for submissions

The Commonwealth Youth Council is currently working on a two-year project, ‘I am Able’, to raise awareness of the lives of young people with disabilities across Commonwealth member states. The Commonwealth believes this is an important issue, as too often the voices, desires, needs and s...

Valparaiso's Global Goals Meeting

After hearing about the Global Goals in 2015 by Hank Green, I was determined to help them become accomplished anyway possible. I decided that the best way to help accomplish those goals was to have a town hall meeting. It is very important to me that people become aware of these goals becaus...

The Fight of Versions.

Returning to fundamentals, far from perceiving compatibility on the basis of social ratings and mutual series fanatics, let’s imagine relationships as a matter of compatibility in PCs, where you get yourself a brand new clean computer, and you start personalizing this device, through inser...