#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Faces Up - Season 2

Where do I begin from? Aaaahhhhh…I've got an idea. The entire thing of being called a season. I...

A Citizen Science Approach to Protecting Water Resources

Water is ubiquitous. With more than 70% of its surface covered by water, Earth is appropriately call...

22 WAYS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

Happy belated new year! I celebrated my 22nd birthday on January 6 and, in honour of that, here are...

The Dragon Egg in the Backyard

Everyone has at some point read a book, or watched a film telling the story of a hero. Maybe it was...

The Lighthouse

Serenely you find yourself,Eminent and vigorous in the face of the wavesThat move on your surface.Un...

Your Dreams Are Pending Investments

If you are reading this, you may have a dream you want to pursue in your life. Perhaps you are alrea...

Why Dreadful Viral Diseases are Now Upon Us

Beautiful, patterned white lines and detailed symbols traced the walls of the room. Inside there, in...

The Times

Gone are the times when we had to stand before each and every elder that crossed paths with us…..and...

How Volunteerism Changed my Life

It all started when my friend told me about a project called “Voices from Palestine” where youth fro...

Devastation and Loss in the Wake of Natural Disasters

South Florida was hit by the devastating Hurricane Irma in September. But Miami healed pretty quickl...