#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Where does your interest lie?

In this matter, In what you do, In whom you are, In what you are becoming. Where does your int...

We Nigerians...

Welcome to our citadels of learning, where learning continues and knowledge is being applied even af...

Tell Me What's Up

There’s discretion. There are societal demands and tolerances. There’s what is socially acceptable...

I will hold your hand

Dear Friend,I know times are tough right now, adjusting to life seems slow and painful, shoes don't...

Pollution is our problem

Pollution- A dangerous growing issue that continues to harm the environment we live in, and sadly it...

Scoring a goal at a time....

I’ve been reading this book, for some time now. It’s called Grit. And I’ve fallen in love with it....

Live Your Dream

Is it okay for you to dream? Or have your own dream, for that matter? Are you dreaming what your...

Moment of Worth

She held in her arms a creation like no other.Blossoms of little flowers grew on her skinbecause of...

Please.

Please. It’s a simple statement, just a regular word, in such a confusing world. I ask you to please read and understand if you will. Please know that in this world full of dark things, that just around the corner is a brightness capable of filling 8 half’s of planets and countless half’s of moons....

There is no planet B , Conserve or Perish : the choice is Ours

As many of us know, there are eight planets in our Solar system, which are classified into Terrestrial planets or Rocky planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) and Jovian planets or Outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune). Out of all these terrestrial and Jovian planets, Earth has been...