#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

2018 Hidden Eco-Hero(in) Awards

For the past 11 months (and counting) I have been part of an amazing, children/youth driven Platform...

Climate believers

Covering your eyes with your own hands and living in total darkness doesn’t mean that the light doe...

The secret university life

During the three years I have been on campus it was not just studying psychology.I studied the lives...

A step towards an equal world for all

"When the world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful " - Malala.Dear young people,My name is E...

On the path of salubrious Diwali

Happy Diwali to all!! The festival of lights is one of biggest festivals of the Hindus and is celebr...

We're destroying their home

I live on a farm in Pennsylvania, USA and it is a beautiful place. Unfortunately now everyone is sel...

How to make a small difference

You have all seen those staggering images of enormous landfills and plastic flooded shores with a headline along the lines of "this is how it is and it will only get worse". Following that, you felt hopeless and discouraged because how could you possibly make a difference, significant enough to chan...

Change your mind, change your life

First of all, this is my first blog post and I am definitely fearful about this, but okay let's go.....

Trees: Our Natural Air Conditioners

Trees are more than just part of nature, they provide wildlife with food and shelter. Trees add so m...

Transcending trash: Using Eco bricks

Using plastic on a daily basis has been a normal thing for most of us, from simple candy wrappers th...