#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

A Tale

"It isn't the place it used to be,it was a lot better."Said Grandma as she told her talesOf the plac...

Missing Home

It wasn’t like I didn’t know it would happen, but rather, that it would happen sooner than later. T...

An Amplified Voice

Scrolling relentlessly on my Facebook newsfeed, I stumbled upon the opportunity to continue my pursu...

The Desperate Walk To Basics in Mhondoro

71km away from Harare in Mashonaland West, lies a communal location known as Mhondoro Chivero. It is...

TEAM CHANGETHEWORLD

She allowed me to live in Nigeria. There I visited a local marketplace and tried some “gray watery S...

Voices

I’m sitting before my laptop thinking of the words to weave into a perfect recap of the last three m...

Promises

If you’re anything like me, you’re devilishly good-looking, charming, humorous, confident without be...

The Pearl of the Orient Seas Meets the Green City in the Sun

UNICEF recently gave a group of young people from different parts of the world an opportunity to int...

Satellite Doomsday

An endless void. A soundless expanse. Endless in nature; indifferent in intent. Space.The dead satel...

(You)th Can Save The Oceans

I had always been surrounded by the ocean because of my dad's career as a marine engineer. As a kid,...