#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

My digital mapping experience

Having grown up in the slums of Kitwe and Lusaka here in Zambia, I have been exposed to many forms...

The Perks of Being a Climate Digital Mapper.

Climate Change is one of the most crucial yet dismissed issues in some parts of the world. Maybe i...

One word Dilemma

My dilemma currently is in the word; Invest. It’s quite known that, when you think of a new project, and you decide to use your time, money, and energy for, you prepare for every set back and failure along the way, the loss doesn’t matter as you have a plan B as a detour. You th...

Seizing the Opportunity - SDG 13

Have you ever felt hopeless facing the issues of our world? I know I have. I have felt small and...

Oblivion

We all want to be remembered when we are gone. We want to live throughout history, to make our mark...

Renewable energy rising in Southeast Asia

The ASEAN economic integration has laid out a foundation for robust regional economic growth. With...

How I Plan to Trash Less and Treasure More

One thing that is great about our generation is that you do not have to be a scientist to be passi...

I see children today

I see children today and my heart cries, For the children who live in fear, Not only because...

Paris Agreement will be safe for now

A few weeks ago, a new president was elected for the United States of America, the results were un...

CC to Everyone

With the Conference of Parties (COP22) running, climate change has become a hot issue of discussion as it is a major time of policy making against the threat of the planet because “We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation than can do somethin...