#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Happy Earth Day

Dear Mother Earth,I wish I could begin this letter just like I’ve always been taught in school how...

Is a smart city really smart?

We expect a lot from our technology. More and more products are created not only to perform multiple...

Why the 1.5°C target matters to my country

Since the revolution of 2011, Tunisia, my country, has been in the process of building a new democra...

1.5 Degrees: A Matter of Survival

Farmers in India look at the sky, and wonder why the monsoon has grown weaker and weaker over the ye...

Ethics of Science and Technology

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein On...

A Song for Humanity

What drives me nuts is the fact that people have so much capacity for kindness but choose to ignore or suppress it in fear of being hurt. If we try just a little bit to practice kindness in our every day actions and look at life at least one degree through a love lens, I truly believe the world can...

Life (inspired by Hans Zimmer - Time)

Life – is it not absolutely fascinating? We are alive, although billions of atoms are evaporating....

Simplicity: the art of happy living

In spite of recent advancements in science and technology in our world today, I've come to realize t...

Let's Not Be Trashy

The sun is smiling, it casts its radiant waves towards you and embraces you in a warm hug. The salt...

Lotus Tales: Of Love and Loss

“I can’t wait to get out of this place,” I said to my 16-year old self.Since I was young I alw...