#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Life Below Water

According to “livescience.com”, Approximately 71% of Earth's surface is water and within that 71% ho...

The world of nature

If you truly love nature you will find beauty everywhere!Nature never stops to amaze us.It's the bes...

Filthy Clean

Dumping waste in our environment is an issue that is often neglected. It seems like large parts of o...

Life on Land

The idea of thinking globally and acting locally is easier said than done. This is what we discovered pretty quickly when we decided to plant trees to restore the local barren land that was a result a large wildfire in 2013. When we spoke to our local school supporter about out idea, it was challen...

Life Below Water

Water is all around us, it is essential for all life. Unfortunately, it is being polluted and treated poorly each and every day! The beautiful Coral Reefs, that provide many essential values, are being bleached away. Diseases are spreading throughout the planet from people disposing of wastes in riv...

Life Below Water

Right now it is almost May in my small corner of the world. Mountain water runoff is right around the corner and everybody is ready to go rafting. We have the best whitewater rafting in the world, but I am starting to see the negative effects of littering in my community. Trash is piling up in the m...

My Journey, My Flag

My journey, my flag.The final salute,She said as tears dripped down her face.The words never came.Her life, my pain.The writing said it all, she was all gone.The red flashing light said it all.She passed away in spirit and soul, she’ll never go.But that was the day the words never came.Therefore, as...

Poverty in the Philippines

Poverty— seven letters that affect the lives of billions of people worldwide, especially those in my...

Echanted Arts Festival

We think more; we feel less. With the new communication era, we have left our feelings in the past a...

THE LOST LOVE

The wishing well echoed his prayers, for her,And on the sand of time, was written a beautiful love...