#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Can consumer society solve the problem of climate change through techn...

As Jonathan Sacks once said, “technology gives us power.” But is this power sufficient enough...

Homesick-Less

Dear family, To a father, a mother and a younger sister. To papa, maa and Jiya. It’...

Drought in Kenya

Kenya is facing drought. The last time we had adequate amounts of rainfall was last year's long ra...

The Balcony

I like sitting on an old dusty chair. Dragging it all the way outside to the balcony. 4th floor....

Cairo Life

Cairo... either you love it or you hate it. For some it's an ugly city. Yes, it really is an old,...

If I were God...

If I were God, would I give a little more water to the draught? Give a little more food to the hungry, give a little more happiness to the sultry? Give a little more love to the rejected, give a little more soil to the deserted? Give a little mor...

Unnoticed Neighbors

Today, almost every corner of the planet is home to someone. Wherever you go to live, most probabl...

What Have We Done?

What can I do to make a difference? What can I do to change perceptions? What can I do to get othe...

Reaching out Somaliland Youth on Sustainability

My trip to Hargeisa University – Somaliland was an eye-opening experience in many ways. On top o...

Hydroponics: A New Green

Hydroponics is an upcoming trend of agriculture, which is useful for the conservation of water, mo...