Environment: The Big Picture

On 23 October, a woman returns home from a distribution site for UNICEF-provided rehydration and other supplies, in Grand Dessalines, a town along the Artibonite River. The river is believed to be contaminated with cholera. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2150/Marco Dormino

A clean and protected environment is central to children's rights. The earth provides a lot of the resources that are needed to protect children’s rights, such as the right to the highest attainable standard of health (article 24 of CRC). But as the global population grows and the demand for energy increases, pollution and misuse of natural resources are causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

A clean environment is especially important for children, who are particularly vulnerable to diseases. This is because children's bodies are not fully developed, so they have less resistance to illness. Also, in proportion to their weight, young children breathe more air, drink more water and eat more food than adults do, so they take in larger doses of contaminants, chemicals and pollutants. Poor health linked to environmental contamination and degradation can also disrupt education and inhibit children from reaching their full potential in numerous ways. The world is facing a number of environmental threats, including:

Atmosphere 

• The use of fossil fuels and the release of Greenhouse Gases such as carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is contributing to global warming and climate change. As a result we can expect to see more erratic weather, such as extreme summers, heavier snowfalls, hurricanes, droughts and floods. 

• Outdoor air pollution from industries and transportation reduces the quality of the air in which we breathe, as well as our food and water supplies. 

• Indoor air pollution, which usually comes from cooking and heating with biomass (coal and wood) without proper ventilation, leads to high numbers of infections and respiratory diseases.

Land 

• Overuse of agricultural soil reduces the quality of soil and, in some cases, to a point where the soil cannot be used. This significantly impacts the amount of food that can be locally produced in the long term. 

• Trees and forests are disappearing, and this deforestation increases the impact of natural disasters as the land becomes more vulnerable to landslides and mudslides after floods and heavy rain.

Water 

• Globally, contaminated water is the leading cause of human sickness and death. Parasites, bacteria and viruses get into drinking water when the water source is polluted by waste such as animal or human faeces. Contamination can also come from harmful chemicals, such as pesticides used in farming. 

• Chemical spills into the ocean, along with overfishing, are damaging the ocean’s supply of fish, which is an important source of food and income for many coastal communities.

Biodiversity 

• The numbers and diversity of animal and plant species in nature are declining as a result of changes to their environment. Reduction of biodiversity has a damaging effect on ecosystems, the finely balanced systems in which different species and actors in nature interact. 

• The impact of biodiversity loss also impacts human health in multiple ways. Declining species will reduce availability of key ingredients in life-saving pharmaceutical drugs, , while the loss of many species such as fish means the loss of key protein sources for humans throughout the world. 

• Changes in ecosystems can have unforeseen and damaging consequences. For example, bees play a very important role in spreading pollen. If their environment is damaged it will not only affect the bees, it will also reduce the amount of fruits, vegetables and other plants that humans and animals depend on.

Global responses 

The international community has made many commitments to take better care of the environment. One of the Millennium Development Goals is to ensure environmental sustainability (MDG 7), which includes specific targets on conserving forests, reducing the release of Greenhouse Gases, and protecting fish stocks, water sources and biodiversity.

In 2009, the World Health Organization drafted a Global Plan of Action for Children’s Health and the Environment. This is called the ‘Busan Pledge’, and it a road map for governments and other actors on what they can do to improve the environment for children. You can read more about the pledge at http:// www.who.int/ceh/en/.

Environmental Sustainability 

In 1987, a United Nations Commission defined environmental sustainability as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”1 Human beings depend on natural resources to survive, but it is today’s children and young people that will face the worst consequences of the misuse and exploitation of natural resources and environmental pollution. Therefore it is important to manage these resources in a sustainable way.

Many children and young people are addressing environmental problems, whether they are organizing recycling and waste cleanups in their communities, or advocating for better environmental policies from their governments.

Morgan Freeman's Powerful Climate Change Short Film

This is a very powerful video that shows how we are the generation that will either be remembered...

A Time of Change

It seems as though the we have caught a breath. After seventeen years of in activity the US, China...

We can change how the business world works

In the old world, every business had the prime objective of satisfying its shareholders. It was a...

Environmental Sustainability

We all live in a world that is very interconnected. An issue that affects one part of the world is almost certain to effect another part of the world in some way, albeit not as severely. Issues affecting the environment are the most severe of these because of their far-reaching and severe lo...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/powerful-young-leaders-baroness-...

Powerful Young Leaders Interview: Baroness Lindsay Northover

The Powerful Young Leaders from Mams FM got an amazing opportunity to interview Baroness Lindsay N...

Let's Look to the Future of the Environment As Well

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan took over 10,000 lives in the Philippines, leaving the island country devastated. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011 killed about 19,000 people and released nuclear radiation into the soil. These recent weather disasters can be explained by global warming. In...

Journey with Voices of Youth

Sometimes I feel that time is running too fast and this feeling has become stronger as I am wondering how fast has time passed as it is already five months of my internship with Voices of Youth blogging. However, I am very glad that I am part of VOY and got this golden opportunity to share m...

Global Warming

Its seems to me that this summer is much warmer than the previous summers we have had. The rain has not even been constant, it is not so often that rain starts in December. Mostly it begins to rain constantly and often late October. It must be that there is too much heat in the atmosphere ca...

United Nations Student Conference on Development

It has begun! The 2014-2015 United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development preparations are well under way. We are working closely with schools in Thailand, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, the Philippines, Mexico, and India. This year, our focus is "Con...

Environmentaly Stable

In our world the global community seems to be blinded by the blight of environmental stability. Th...