#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Revisiting the Mahatma as an Environmentalist

The world is facing serious environmental issues such as Environmental pollution, pressure on natural systems, degradation and depletion of natural resources affecting the life support system (air, water, soil, and bio-diversity), unpredictable global climate change, ozone layer depletion and sea-le...

The big crisis of 3017

Today was the day when aliens first invaded our planet. They came in big spaceships. Science fiction...

One Flap of the Wings: Our Story of Environmental Change

The “Fable for Tomorrow” in Rachael Carter’s Silent Spring launched the environmental movement in 19...

Experience – unexpected and unique!

When I heard about the opportunity to volunteer for UNICEF at EXPO – a special exhibition about Futu...

Love Letter to Dirt From Tree Roots

Love Letter To Dirt, From Tree RootsAfter Sarah KayDon’t be jealous—it’s true, I do love the Rain,and while she does get to touch the very tips of me, it’s not the way I love you.She keeps me growing, but you keep megrounded, and only you knowthat I don’t always feel like standing talland touching t...

Lost On An Iceberg

I’m lostOn an iceberg In the sea With a polar bear Right by me He’s warm and fluffy So soft and sweet But we are here together With nothing to eat No fish Nor walrus Just me and him A loyal companion Still tired and hungry But eat me he doesn’t He waits with patience How loyal he...

Hand In Hand

Hand in Hand,They stand around the globe,Only figures,Of a representation,Never really followed.A la...

Theory of Plurality of Reality, Man and the Nature

The Theory of Plurality of Reality can extend our knowledge to understand Nature and the problems associated due to Environmental degradation in a whole new ideology.The Theory of Plurality of Reality in metaphysics refers to many-ness of reality i.e. the reality has many interpretations and differe...

Death's Icy Hands

Death’s Icy Hands…..I am Thrown,From a place to stand,And barred,From the Holy land,Cant fight,As th...

I stand with nature

It was going to be my first time traveling to the Northern part of Nigeria and I was looking forward...