#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Girls Power in the face of Climate Change

Mitigating Climate Change starts with an idea, an inspiration that can lead to new doors opening. All it takes to make progress in the fight against this apocalyptic change is to think outside the box. We have to be bolder, more determined and able to take the initiative. Climate change is affecting...

Fight For Children's Rights

Children are the most vulnerable people in the world. They’re given much attention, but this isn’t e...

The ruthless world

We were stuck in a traffic jam in Liberty, Lahore. My mother brooded at the disorderly traffic, whil...

Being The Best You Can Be

A good name, fame, wealth and riches, the state of being a first-class personality, one who has the...

We need to take care of our world

Our environment today is very different from our surroundings before we could just sit in a park and...

Education – the catalyst for progress

Our world has more refugees now than ever before and sadly a majority of them are children. Of great...

Over Consumerism

Socrates once said, “How many things are there which I don’t want?”Indeed one should introspect upon...

Ego

Something we all need to realize...Almost everyone I meet in life, including me, always seems to be...

Oh wise man - A poem

Oh ‘Wise’ ManOh wise man, that is who you are right?The wise men, the conquerors of land, ocean, air...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...