#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Everybody Thirsts

“Leah, are you ready for your swimming lesson?” My mom’s voice reverberates through the ho...

Just Another Day

Yesterday, I woke up from the sun rays entering through my window, just like I do every single day...

Waterless Art

Water can create. What happens when we don't have water? What other mediums can we explore?...

Evil Elsa and the Forgotten Gloves

I forgot my gloves again. It’s too late to go back home because the well is closing in a few min...

The Daily Pilgrimage

Every day, the journey seems longer and longer. Some days it seems I will never make it to the wel...

Who am I?

Hello everyone! My name is Monica Victoria Angulo Hernandez, and I’m from Mexico. At this exact...

A Punk Rocker's Dream of Changing the World

Here's the thing about life. I haven't really lived it all the way through yet, so I can't tell yo...

The Stitch Up

The year was 2016. The month, December. The stock markets high. The punishing sun of an Australian...

In Remembrance of World Poetry Day

Today the world is taking its advance paces in every walk of life. Apprenticeship always demands time - both in science and arts. Unlike painting and sculpturing, poetry is beyond this term. It is personal and non-transferable gifted trait of the poet. It pulsates right from his birth and en...

Choosing My Path

When asked, “What do you want to do in life? What are your career aspirations? Why did you decid...