#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

A Solution for Plastic Bags

In my country, people do not really care about the environment. Most people do not care about where...

Power to all

Why do humans act as if there is a second planet to live on?Why do humans think that the economy is...

Concrete

I’ve lived on the ninth floor of my apartment for many years. I remember being fascinated by the p...

24 Hours of Love

Have you ever had a lover that loves you so much that he or she falls head over heels, not only for...

6 Reasons Why Millennials will Save Mother Earth

How many times have you heard the phrase, “The young generation is crazy”? I have lost count of...

My Day With Leo DiCaprio, a Minister of Environment, and Awesome Young...

So I spent Earth Day 2017 watching “Before the Flood” by Leonardo DiCaprio and I was once again...

A Little Love for the Green Mother

The earth is the mother that forever provides and nurses without complaint. As children, she gave us...

The Colors of Our Spirit and The Wind

Us humans, animals, and plants share one house, one home. A house that often had a starry sky at nig...

The big tree

Imagine this: You live close to a big forest and every day, after school, you go down to the forest...

Why Environmental Ethics ?

In today’s world, one of the most fundamental issues that we face and deal with is balancing, adjusting and maintaining the relationship between us humans and nature.We must understand that human beings are not the only creatures that inhabit the Earth. We co-inhabit Earth along with millions othe...