#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

The Elements

Earth (Rim)Our earth gives birth. Every second, every day, every month...She creates life and beauty...

The Nomad In The City

‘You didn’t even graduate high school’, ‘You don’t have the necessary qualifications for this job’,...

I have some MAJOR issues

Do you enjoy your life right now? Your warm showers... Your house... Your car... Your morning Starbu...

From the Eyes of a Refugee

On November 11, 2013 my elder brother and I stood at the tarmac of the city’s airport under the swel...

The Pearl of the Orient Seas meets the Green City in the Sun

UNICEF recently gave a group of young people from different parts of the world an opportunity to int...

Smokey Mountain: More Green, Less Smokey

Decades of trash from Metro Manila makes up the mountainous pile of stinking garbage and rubbish tha...

We need Science to protect Our Planet!

"Did you know that every minute an area of about 50 football fields of rainforest is destroyed?" Yes...

Electricity in India

Dear UN,Many people are facing power shortages and no electricity. Approximately 1.2 billion people,...

Dog Days

Dog Days China“Xin nian kuai le gong xi fa cai!” The five year old me looked up at a wrinkly rosy fa...

We are at War!

Our civilization is built upon the basic principles of humanity. Compassion teaches us to share, Equ...