Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Achieving Food Security in Times of Crisis

We observed “International Food Day” on 16th October. This year theme of the day was “Family Farming – Feeding the World, Caring the Earth”. Family farming helps in achieving food security by eradicating hunger, improving livelihoods, achieving sustainability etc. In this moder...

Youth Participation: What We Need

Recently I have had the opportunity to chair 2 or 3 events (in Morocco) which deal with youth and...

"What will generations remember about youths of today?"

50 years ago our forefathers fought hard until Zambia gained her independence from British rule. T...

One Young World summit - We can learn from each other!

From the 15th October to the 18th October I was privileged to attend the one young world conferenc...

My Earth; My Responsibility

Earth is a beautiful living planet of the Universe as the common habitat of more than 7 billion human population & millions of species of biodiversity. Our Earth provides us with food, shelter & with most of our requirements. Despite unavoidable free services provided by earth to h...

Horn Free Day in Lagos!

Have you ever imagined a Horn-free Day in your city? Now imagine a horn-free day in a bustling meg...

World Food Day 2014 and Family Farming

Some of you would really be surprised about the fact that nearly everyday is an international day...

Stop the mourns Ebola!

-As you make steps further, menacing to engulf the human race pitilessly, we plead: Kindly spare u...

Education, especially in emergencies

100 million children and young people are affected by natural disasters every year. More than half o...

Making Your Voice Count for slum Dwellers (World Habitat Day 2014 “V...

How to relate with Slum Dweller to get their stories. In line with the characteristics of slums shared you will discover that these areas are prone to claims by their owners and evacuations from such properties is inevitable without compensation or provision of an alternative location...