Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Tech Girls Reporting on Sanitation in Their School

Watch Tech Girls from Pong Tamale M/A primary in a video report about the sanitation in their scho...

Who is to blame for Youth(s) Illegal Act ?

Many a time, I have tried to deduce the consequences of some arrogant notions displayed by most yout...

Sanitation and Humanity

Water and sanitation are simply the care of water systems, be it water systems in homes or river s...

Greening the Grey in Kwacha Community

Chipembele is a club at Mitanto Secondary school in Kitwe, Zambia. It discusses more about the env...

We need a better environment

Global warming has actually been a main issue on our earth. Everyone knows that, but what are we g...

Quest for Internet Access at Luanshya Secondary School

The internet has become part of our everyday life because of its ease access and diversity. Today,...

Zambia's deforestation problem

The amount of rainfall largely depends on the development of the Inter- Tropical Convergence zone...

Changing the role of pollutants

The combustion of wood, oil and coal results in increased levels of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide acts as a greenhouse gas because it lets natural light in through but traps out on going long-level radiation. The consequence is that increased levels of...

Actions Speak Volumes

Pondering about life and our actions, I discovered that the responsibility to make a sincere change...

Even Miley Cyrus can never make farming cool!

Recently, in my country, there has been a campaign geared towards encouraging young people from Kenya and East Africa to embrace farming as a profession under the banner of “farming is cool”. The campaign encompassed using one of Kenyas young and hip celebrity (Juliani) who has a very la...