Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Even Miley Cyrus can never make farming cool!

Recently, in my country, there has been a campaign geared towards encouraging young people from Kenya and East Africa to embrace farming as a profession under the banner of “farming is cool”. The campaign encompassed using one of Kenyas young and hip celebrity (Juliani) who has a very la...

Climate Change and Child-led

The Zambian economy is predominantly based on the exploitation of the country's natural resources. T...

Our Health at Risk in Schools

The Tech Girls club of Sakasaka Primary is happy to share the plight of pupils in the school with...

Happy World Water Day!

We wish you a Happy World Water Day full of fresh, clean water! But did you know that safe water i...

Deforestation: International Day of Forests!

Deforestation is a current problem that affects and will affect all population in a near future. T...

In vitro meat: the new phase of Genetically Modified Organisms

Would you eat meat produced or grown in the lab? In an article written by Tom Levitt in October, 2012, the new phase of meat production is devoid of its natural process of growth and processing for consumption. This came into reality in August 2013 when the first in vitro meat was launched,...

Rural youth need agricultural skills

What do you think about skills for rural and urban youth? Are they the same? The answer is positiv...

Let's think about the environment for a minute

Forests and trees sustain and protect us. Take a minute check out this video created by the FAO. A...

"Be A Voice, Not An Echo."

The first time I heard and read about John F. Kennedy, I almost thought he was a god! I thought he w...

I Am African - African Voice

I am African. Black I am, coined and carved out of Black Nature. Groomed from the bowel of: heat, po...