Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Young Environmentalist with his grandfather

Here, I will introduce one young environmentalist. He has started his environmental journey from t...

Taking action to bring about change, a group of media nomads took the initiative...

Source: http://bit.ly/1tGwikW

From community mapping to postive change

Should the needle exchange programme be implemented in the Seychelles

An island treasure in the ocean has not been able to escape the rampant drug trade haunting the wo...

If I were a Millionaire........

In this modern 21st century, money has become the part of human life. Money in the world is a fact...

A little insight into who I am

First of all, I want to say that I am really excited about being a blogging intern at Voices of Yo...

Ignoring the environment is burning our own future!

About 10 years ago, I remember myself in a classroom full of small boys and girls. I vividly remember my environmental science teacher, a Mrs. Mutale, she always teased us to plant trees as small as ourselves. So that when the trees grow big like her, they are used to make all the small things that...

Living in Lagos

I live in the developing world, also known as the Third World. Let me admit that I have particularly gotten tired reading about what our problems are. Everyone and every medium seem to be talking about it. It’s in the news and everywhere on the internet. Sometimes the argument is whether w...

Me and my Nepal

My first post is dedicated to my country Nepal. First of all, I am very glad to get the golden opp...

SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT

The world was beautifully created by God then it was granted to man for free. therefore it is our...

Animals have rights too!!!

I felt really bad when i was acknowledged about the fact that animals were disrespected in our wor...