Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Making Your Voice Count for slum Dwellers (World Habitat Day 2014 “V...

The United Nations designated every first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter and habitation. It is also intended to remind the world that...

What do you know about vanilla?

Vanilla is one of the species of orchids. Maroantsetra exports this product so that developed coun...

Carpentry in Maroantsetra

Maroantsetra is a city surrounded by primary forest. The inhabitants of Maroantsetra depend a lot...

Transport Maroantsetra

In Maroantsetra, the main roads of the inhabitants are the waterway. The villages are connected by...

Antseranampontsy Maroantsetra

Literally Antseranampontsy means banana’s port. Bananas come from the countryside and arrive in...

Holiday Activities

The school holidays start from June 26th (national holiday) and end at the end of September. Our t...

Old and young

This week, a topic seemed to engross me. It wasn’t particularly triggered by something but inste...

Kenya's Heritage

In Kenya we pride ourselves as having diversified cultures and heritage. This is a major source of...

Power of the People - consumerism

I've always believed and advocated that power lies with the people, that is the majority rather the few at the top. This is based on the rationale that it is the majority that votes to put someone in a that position and therefore can vote to take them out. The power is with the people. I...

Our economic model and the planet's limits

We live in a planet with limited resources. And the exploitation of them is compromising the pro...