Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

IT's MY WORLD...

You know how in those alien invasion movies like "transformers" how aliens can just create a new h...

I am the change I want

I first set foot in Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, in 2008 when I came to begin my college ed...

Memories of Ogoni Prepare us for Future Battles

Reported by Cadmus Atake, Zaid Shopeju and Oluwafunmilayo Oyatogun It is commonly said that what a man can do, a woman can do better, but in the case of Ogoni the women seem to have been relegated to the back burner for too long. Ogoniland has become the poster child for environmental pr...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

SO THERE'S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT?

SO THERE’S CLIMATE CHANGE, WHAT NEXT? When I ask people questions regarding climate change I rece...

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This...

Digital Climate Mapping: My story.

Participating in the Climate Mapping Exercise was both an amazing and educative experience for me....

Collective Action for sustainable development

Leave no one behind… Village communities show the way towards an inclusive post-2015 framework....

Photovoice Methodologies

Photovoice is a form of participatory learning and action (PLA). It involves using media technolog...

The concerns of Small Island Developing Contexts

The First UNEA Earlier this year I was lucky to get the opportunity to observe the first Unite...