Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Living in Lagos

I live in the developing world, also known as the Third World. Let me admit that I have particularly gotten tired reading about what our problems are. Everyone and every medium seem to be talking about it. It’s in the news and everywhere on the internet. Sometimes the argument is whether w...

Me and my Nepal

My first post is dedicated to my country Nepal. First of all, I am very glad to get the golden opp...

SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT

The world was beautifully created by God then it was granted to man for free. therefore it is our...

Animals have rights too!!!

I felt really bad when i was acknowledged about the fact that animals were disrespected in our wor...

Not a Drop Of Water

Water. About 71 percent of the Earth is covered by it. We use it for industrial projects, for drin...

My Fathers And I

My fathers and I I remember when the grass became a patriot on the sod and how growth was a midget in conflict. I remember when men couldn't feed and how wooden huts became a choice. I remember how the territory of slaves was carved from pain. I remember when my forefathers agreed to change the worl...

Lest We Forget

“Nature Protects if She is Protected” was the motto of the biggest ever environmental conferen...

Fostering Environmental Stewardship in Younger Generations

It’s a dismal scene. The playground, which was created to bring joy and entertainment to crowds...

Save Lemurs

A movie about lemurs in Madagascar was recently made. I was astonished to find out from people ove...

Echo of the Past

The fate of mankind, as well as religion, depends on the emergence of a new faith in the future. A...