Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Learn by happiness, not by pressure

Learn from happiness, not by pressure The politicians here in Sweden are worried, the Swedish...

How far should I go to fit in? Topic 2

You don't need to raise your shoulders or seek what it is you are not close to. All you need do is t...

How far should I go to fit in?

I have heard people say, "I will do anything to get what I want. I would like to ask you! What do yo...

global warming

GLOBAL WARMING The American Geophysical Union (AGU) stated that human activities, especially t...

MITANTO SECONDARY SCHOOL GOES GREEN!

Mitanto Secondary School is just one among the 10 Schools participating in the Voices of Youth Con...

Imagine your favorite wild animal or place, like the majestic polar bear boundin...

Source: http://unfoundationblog.org/world-wildlife-day/

Imagine a world without them.

March 3rd marks World Wildlife Day, but after today and beyond should we stop thinking about wildlife crime? Does this happen in your country? Tell us here and tag your post as wildlife. Editor’s Note: This post originally appeared on Climasphere to mark World Wildlife Day on March 3....

Solar Energy, "These advantages are global"

Solar energy, radiant light and heat from the sun, is harnessed using a range of ever-evolving t...

What is Hydroponics?

Hydroponics is a subset of hydroculture and is a method of growing plants using mineralnutrient so...

UNSLCD- What's Happening?

The United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development is happening now! Students from Me...

#UNSLCD Posts and Comments

UNSLCD Editing and Comments team are checking all Posts, Comments and Questions, if you have any q...