Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

Mapping Day

I am a student at the "Sami Frashëri '' Gymnasium, studying Social Sciences. I participated in a...

Egzona Blogpost

The day I found out about Lokalizo there were many reasons why I wanted to get involved. I saw the...

Everyday is a new beginning

Maybe we do the same things everyday, maybe we are tired of this life. We do things without passion,...

WED 2014....

World Environment Day (WED) is a supposedly great day celebrated every June 5th to celebrate the environment and all that it has to offer. It is a day set aside by the United Nations to celebrate the sustainability and well being of mother earth and to campaign for its sustainability, pr...

Our Environment is the Future

World Environment Day Environment is the sum total of what is around something or someone. It...

Let us breathe

World Environment Day is the United Nations principal vehicle for encouraging worldwide awareness...

Discussion/Debate on Plan of Action UNSLCD 2014

Fellow Student Leaders, We’ve finally concluded our work on the Plan of Action. The ideas an...

Parents Have to Help US Save the World

The older generation is responsible for this broken world, but the youth are also responsible too....

NoyPi

I took these photos last year on January 16. These photos were included for my photo-documentary...

Lokalizo_Maps_Kosovo

Prosperity Initiative in Kosovo (PIKS) is implementing its flagship project Lokalizo which is a yo...