Fact Sheet

Each year, at least three million children under the age of five die due to environment-related diseases.

Acute respiratory infections annually kill an estimated two million children under the age of five. As much as 60 percent of acute respiratory infections worldwide are related to environmental conditions.

Diarrhoeal diseases claim the lives of nearly two million children every year. Eighty to 90 percent of these diarrhea cases are related to environmental conditions, in particular, contaminated water and inadequate sanitation.

Nearly one million children under the age of five died of malaria in 1998. Up to 90 percent of malaria cases are attributed to environmental factors.

Between 1990 and 2005, tropical deforestation happened at a rate of 130,000 km2 per year. That is about the size of the countries of Greece and Nicaragua.

If present trends continue, 1.8 billion people will be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity by 2025, and two thirds of the world population could be subject to water stress.

Around 2 million species have been identified and described. Out of these, only 10% (200,000) have been assessed for their conservation status. 16,000 species have been identified as threatened with extinction.

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This...

Digital Climate Mapping: My story.

Participating in the Climate Mapping Exercise was both an amazing and educative experience for me....

Collective Action for sustainable development

Leave no one behind… Village communities show the way towards an inclusive post-2015 framework....

Photovoice Methodologies

Photovoice is a form of participatory learning and action (PLA). It involves using media technolog...

The concerns of Small Island Developing Contexts

The First UNEA Earlier this year I was lucky to get the opportunity to observe the first Unite...

http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/climate-map.jpg?w=667&h=400

Source: http://unicefconnect.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/climate-map.jpg?w=667&h=400

What do you(th) think about climate change?

Tomorrow, an important event is taking place in New York City – one with repercussions far beyon...

STOP THE TALKING- IT IS TIME FOR ACTION

Things are heating up in New York as people mobilise for the world's largest march to bring about...

Climate change threatens half of North American birds

Iconic North American birds like the bald eagle and brown pelican are among hundreds of mankind's feathered friends facing threats to their survival due to climate change, researchers said on September 8. More than half of birds in the United States and Canada- a total of 314 species -ar...

.. YoUtH ..

Please read this. I 've watched this speech in English and I love so much this text that I want to share with all of youthvoices.. If you want to see the amazing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHE_XGtUNx4 but you can read : Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for t...

Diminishing Diversity

Over the past decades human activities and experimentation with nature has been responsible for rapidly diminishing the diversity of life forms on this planet. Each species lost is a storehouse of environmental knowledge selected for over millions of years. The exploding sciences of biomim...