#YouthforChange: Getting ready for the Girl Summit 2014

TAKE ACTION:

Read the #YouthForChange Action Statement and Research Report

Read the resources

Did you know that one girl in nine marries before she turns 15?

Child marriage ends a girl’s education, exposes her to life-threatening complications during pregnancy and childbirth, and leaves her vulnerable to domestic violence.

Did you know that morethan 125 million girls and women alive today have suffered some form offemale genital mutilation and cutting(FGM/C) in the 29 countries where the practice is concentrated?

FGM/C is an extremely damaging practice that has a devastating, life-long impact on girls’ and women’s physical and mental health and well-being and opportunities, and can even cause death.

So what’s being done about it?

In December 2012, a UN General Assembly resolution called for a global ban on the practice of FGM/C. More and more women and men in communities in affected countries, religious leaders, and national policy makers are driving movement on these issues.

There is now a real chance to end FGM/C and child marriage within a generation.

To give these issues the boost they need and to mobilize efforts to end FGM/C and child marriage, the UK Prime Minister and UNICEF will co-host the Girl Summit 2014 on 22 July 2014 in London.

And to ensure that the voices of young people are heard on these issues, there will also be a special youth event ahead of the Girl Summit, on 19 July. At this event, young people will help to finalize a Youth Action Statement, which will be shared with ministers and leaders from across the globe at the Girl Summit.

How can I get involved?

• We want the Youth Action Statement to represent the views of as many youth as possible – so take this survey and share your voice.
  • Would you like to hold your own voices of youth focus group session with young people who have no internet access? If so please use this resource pack to help guide your session and this form to submit results.
  • Get empowered – read the resources and articles in this special feature.
  • Get writing – write a post on Voices of Youth telling others how you feel about the issues of FGM/C and child marriage.
  • Share what you’ve learned with your friends on social media. Follow the hashtags #youthforchange and #girlsummit

This featured section and the materials and resources included are produced in association with DFID and Plan International.

Interview with Jaha Dukureh - FGM survivor, campaigner and founder of...

Hi I'm Isla, I’m 17 and from Scotland. I've been an Advocate for Girlguiding for a year, which h...

Why you need to be a part of #YouthForChange

My name is Rahma and I’m 15 years old. I’ve been campaigning against FGM for 3 years in a yout...

Why Does Female Circumcision Take Place And What Are The Risks?

With the increase in immigration around the world, female circumcision, once regarded as a problem...

How young people can speak up for girls’ rights

It’s time to act on girls’ rights so we can build a better future for everyone. Play your part...

FGM: the law is failing

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) has been a crime in the UK since 1985 (the Prohibition of Female C...

Educate Not Mutilate in KENYA

It's hard being a Maasai girl living in Oloitoktok, when our fathers want us to marry old men for...

Help put an end to two of the biggest challenges facing girls today

SURVEY: LET GIRLS BE GIRLS - ADD YOUR VOICE Calling all young people - add your voice and help...

My heart is bleeding for Maasai girls

My heart is bleeding for Maasai girls Yesterday marked the first day of the 2014 World Cup and a...

RESOURCE PACK: Girl Summit 2014

RESOURCE PACK DOWNLOAD SURVEY: ENGLISH The Girl Summit 2014 is a little more than a month aw...

Have your say on girls’ rights

Do you believe in every girl’s right to marry who they want, when they want and to live safe f...