The Power of Sport

Sprinting the last 200m of your race, passing the ball to your teammate, dancing on stage with your closest friends, we actively compete and exercise the power of sport without even knowing it. Sport has the power to break down barriers between us, utilize and teach us the skills we need for our development as young people. During times of hardship and conflict in our lives and respective countries, sport fosters peace, tolerance, and understanding. It can serve as a mediator between cultures, a universal language, one which we all can understand.

Kick it with us past April 6th!

Staying active is not only healthy, but fun, entertaining, and something you can do with your friends, family, and community. Did you know that there is an International Day of Sport? This day, recognized by the United Nations, acknowledges sport as a catalyst for social change, development, and the positive impacts it can have around the world.

Take a shot and EMPOWER yourself!

As we celebrate the role sport can play in our lives, we can also look to EMPOWER ourselves.

• Share your stories on what you did for International Day of Sport.

• Did you mediate a conflict between your teammates or at school?

• How can you empower others to be agents of peace and change in your community?

• Change our Facebook Cover with the power of the team selfie!

For More Resources on How Sport Supports MDGs:

• Eradicating extreme poverty: through sports children and youth learn essential skills, increase their self-esteem and social skills, become involved in outreach programs leading to increased employability

• Promoting universal education: Sport programs provide children and youth with activities to increase their self-confidence and positive decision-making as well as enhancing their team-building skills

• Gender equality & empowerment: Participation in sport leads to increased self-esteem, self-confidence. Sport is a tool that can cause positive shift in gender norms that give girls control over their own lives.

• Fight Against HIV, AIDS, and other Diseases: Sport programs are associated with lower rates of health risk behavior that contribute to HIV infection. Programs can be used to reduce stigma and increase social and economic integration of people living with HIV and AIDS

• Ensure Environmental Sustainability: sport based campaigns and initiatives can help raise awareness, enhance participation

Goddess

This video for the song 'Goddess' by up and coming US artist BANKS was inspired by UNICEF's work o...

A World Cup is Good for the World

In the next few weeks, the World Cup will begin in Brasil. All fans of all countires are looking to...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Let your struggles, whatever they may be, fu...

Hey VOY! I had the chance to interview Kayla Montgomery, an inspiring high school runner, who not...

Soccer Without Borders: Development and Peace in Nicaragua

Soccer Without Borders (Fútbol Sin Fronteras) celebrated International Day of Sport. Soccer Witho...

Step by Step

We all have the right to be included regardless of our race, disabilities, religion, or birth stat...

Voices of Youth Inspire! Catching Waves with Easkey Britton

Please tell us your name: Easkey Britton Your age: 28 Where are you originally from and...

You have the Power to Change Our Facebook Timeline!

Empower Yourself and Others Around You with the Team Selfie! What do we take a picture of?...