UNSLCD- Discussions on Connect

United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development

Keeping the Promise: Empowering Youth for Peace and Sustainable Development

What is the Conference?

The United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development (UNSLCD) is an initiative by the Global Education Motivators (GEM) that gathers students from around the world to brainstorm on solutions to help end extreme poverty in the world. With children and youth at the center of the Post-2015 agenda, the UNSLCD 2014 aims at encouraging youth to shape their future through cultural exchange and global collaboration. This year’s topic is Keeping the Promise: Empowering Youth for Peace and Sustainable Development.

What are the outcomes of UNSLCD?

Each UNSLCD participating youth develops a plan of action to address the following themes: Global Citizenship, Environmental Responsibility, Education for all, Food Security, and HumanRights. Participants share their thinking and research processes with the Voices of Youth Connect community to create a debate and dialogue around these themes. All students’ findings will be presented at the UN in May 2014.

GEM-Your Connection to VOY

Be part of the UNSLCD Discussion on Voices of Youth Connect!

Check all posts tagged “GEM” and voice your opinions. Join in on topics ranging from Global Citizenship, Sustainable Development, Education for All, Food Security, and Human Rights. Create a post, start the discussion, and comment on an existing GEM post!

For all students and teachers who are in the conference, we still have all the resources you need on how to create a post, login, register, and dates for the conference as well a guide to your Plan of Action.

Day 1: #UNSLCD (15:00)

Voting has been complete! Andres & Kelly have been elected Chairperson and Vice Chairperson respectively. Facilitators, Discussion Monitors, and Sub-theme editors are being appointed, and the final touches are being made for the Video conference on Monday, March 3, 2014. Use #UNSLC...

Day 1: #UNSLCD

Day 1 is underway! The United Nations Student Leadership Conference on Development has begun! Introductions by the Student Leaders is complete. Opening remarks by Global Education Motivator's Wayne Jacoby regarding Monday's video-coference are currently taking place. Updates will be po...

Kerosene to light your world??

In India, three hundred million people, about a fourth of the total population, live without acces...

Beauty Is Just Skin Deep

One day, when I went to the vegetable market with my mom, I was really appalled when I found many...

Organic farming reaches the roofs !!!

In India, after the Green Revolution during the 1960’s, crop production became completely commer...

Siragu – The school on feathers

Many of us believe that we are doing the best we can for the society with the limited resources we...

An insight into an Indian woman worker’s life

**The women's names in this post have been altered to just the first letter for anonymity.** After a lot of heated discussions and debates about the violation of women’s rights, it suddenly struck me that maybe we were looking too far. Why not start off right at our backyard? Our schoo...

History of SIRAGU

Many of us want to serve the society. We have numerous ideas of how to make the lives of the people in need better. But do we actually implement them? Dr.V.Uma (Masters in Mathematics, Education Management, Hindi, Sanskrit and Wasteland development) and her husband Mr.R.N.Muthuram(B.Com., M....

Visit to a neighbouring school - A heart warming experience

Our visit to the Kolapakkam Government High School near our school, Lalaji Memorial Omega Internat...

The roots of development for a sustainable tomorrow!

The words sustainable development appear quite often when we talk about our community and nation a...