#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

GEN X vs. GEN Y

This was the topic for my extempore when I was applying for a post in "some" company. It baffled me...

Single moms

I am the daughter of a single mom. Single parenting is constantly increasing at the rate of 15 mill...

Talking: A real-world solution

Picture a city with cookie-cutter houses aligned and tightly packed together in the interior of bran...

Why is the elevator stuck on your floor?

Mariam,13, was born to a mother who left her and her siblings, born to another father, with her Baba...

Join the youth crew

It’s still alive. The feeling of belonging to something bigger than us is still there. What am I tal...

Poverty

My hope is to see a world eradicated of poverty. People in poverty often cannot choose the situation...

Their problem is our problem

Is this my country? The country that is supposed to be the champion of human rights? The country who...

Young people on the move - a low hanging fruit?

Global Forum on Migration and Development - Agadir 21-22. June 2018 - Reflections From the 21.-22....

Unethical living

Children, women, and men are mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, friends, and many others figures tha...

Spectacle of education

They say children are the leaders of tomorrow, but how can we lead tomorrow if we have a narrow visi...