#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Torn: Being a Cuban-American in a Time of Strain

When I was three months old, my mother nestled me in her arms and took me on an hour plane ride to...

Anticipating 2017:What's relevant to the well being of children and y...

In 2017, we renew our commitment towards Zimbabwean children and its young people. For us it is a...

Who says we are unfaithful?

Who says we are unfaithful? Apprehensions. We had many. And so was the stranger of nigh...

That moment of happiness

“Daai, paach rupya dinu na !” [Brother, please give me five rupees.] That little girl came...

Modern slavery is bigger than imagined

Modern slavery is a very real and tragic issue that has and is destroying the lives of millions of...

New Day, New Dollar

There was this man called Captain Abu, I knew him in 2012 when I was doing my internship in an avi...

2017-New Year: new obstacles and new dreams

Hello everyone! First of all, I want to wish you all a happy new year with all my heart. It’s be...

I AM BECAUSE WE ARE!

The biggest challenge impacting the youth of today's generation is the battle they fight from with...

'I am Able': The Commonwealth Youth Council's call for submissions

The Commonwealth Youth Council is currently working on a two-year project, ‘I am Able’, to raise awareness of the lives of young people with disabilities across Commonwealth member states. The Commonwealth believes this is an important issue, as too often the voices, desires, needs and s...

Valparaiso's Global Goals Meeting

After hearing about the Global Goals in 2015 by Hank Green, I was determined to help them become accomplished anyway possible. I decided that the best way to help accomplish those goals was to have a town hall meeting. It is very important to me that people become aware of these goals becaus...