#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Tackling World Poverty

Last year I believe we could have ended world poverty seven times over – this is how. In a report in...

Where does your interest lie?

In this matter, In what you do, In whom you are, In what you are becoming. Where does your int...

We Nigerians...

Welcome to our citadels of learning, where learning continues and knowledge is being applied even af...

How to Lose Me

In case you're tired of me. Or you're tired of us. This is how to lose me. And how to lose us. For few articles now, I've been going atypical from my normal way of writing. Please, just bear with me. I think it's due to the fact that everything around has been atypical too. Last week, I lost more th...

Young people, whatever your country, you are the world's future: Testi...

I grew up in Riviere Salée, in the commune of Baraderes which is located in the department of Nippes...

Scoring a goal at a time....

I’ve been reading this book, for some time now. It’s called Grit. And I’ve fallen in love with it....

Seeking for a Change in Life

This is an article written by a 22 year old woman residing in Bangalore, India. She is writing this...

Ignorance: Food For The Dogs

Just to get it down in stone: I am far from going against someone for having different political vie...

Puerto Rico (Before the Storm): What Happened to the Island That I Lov...

The following is an article I wrote August 14, 2017, as I looked over a bright sunny Boston day. Looking back, I had no idea Puerto Rico would ever be the center of a national debate. At the time I could not fathom the possibility of such a disaster as the one that has destroyed the island. Yet as r...

I am that fish.

Stress, anxiety, fear, or should I say the emotions of a modern-day high school student. When the best four years of my life will soon come to a close, a new journey will be ahead: college. As a junior I have dedicated countless hours to study and prepare for this new adventure with the hopes that m...