#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Drought in Kenya

Kenya is facing drought. The last time we had adequate amounts of rainfall was last year's long ra...

Cairo Life

Cairo... either you love it or you hate it. For some it's an ugly city. Yes, it really is an old,...

First Class

This is a fiction short story on poverty and capitalism in India How long has it been since I’ve gotten new shoes? Look at them, they’re disgusting! Nearly half my size, both roof and soles broken open and flapping everywhere. My toes wiggle freely without any protection. I assume it...

What Have We Done?

What can I do to make a difference? What can I do to change perceptions? What can I do to get othe...

Raise your voice for people in need!

We live such privileged lives without being aware of it at all. We get up every morning, make brea...

Why is nothing changing?

All I see in the media and online is people talking about how everything is bad and how the world...

Growth, Development, and Environment

In this rapidly changing world, almost all countries have confined themselves to goals of achieving higher growth and development. Growth and Development are two prime aspects which are taken into consideration in an analysis of a country’s economy. Some people might think of growth and de...

Environmental education for youth in Rwanda

In recent years, SOS Rwanda has set up support structures for environmental awareness in four dist...

Spoken Word: My Country Nigeria

Standing on the Existing Notion We need immediate medication Everyone is entitled to this na...

LGBT+ Rights and the Education System

A few days ago, I tweeted Peter Tatchell, a significant politician and LGBT+ Rights activist, to a...