#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Humans are not property; Humans are not for sale

Each and every one of us aspires to live a life full of happiness, independence, and financial stability. We all dream of a better life for ourselves and our families; and this dream transcends across the board, regardless of which gender, ethnicity, religion or nationality you belong to.Some of us...

The Other Side of the Coin

Since I was a little girl, I have seen how boys and girls are treated differently. This is mainly be...

Hand In Hand

Hand in Hand,They stand around the globe,Only figures,Of a representation,Never really followed.A la...

Death's Icy Hands

Death’s Icy Hands…..I am Thrown,From a place to stand,And barred,From the Holy land,Cant fight,As th...

Welcome

Hello! This is my first post for the VOY Blogging Internship. I will write on the issue of migration...

Sparing the Rod

The first time that I saw my friend cry was when she talked about her childhood. One afternoon, we w...

Will Humanity Survive?

On the waves of hatred,I float, without any shore,As they are communal stores,Occupied by the Green...

Excluded

Why tenthousands are excluded from German parliamentary elections On the 24th of September 2017 it...

LIVING WITH AN INVISIBLE ILLNESS: PCOS AWARENESS

Puberty. For me, that was when things took a very wrong turn. Not that things had ever been right,...

Is Climate Change Africa's New Development Threat?

The UN Climate Conference in Bonn, 2013 called on global leaders to discuss the options for reaching...