#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

The flame of a new beginning

When you leave behind a huge crowd that gathers from various parts of the state, when people from...

A Second of your Identity

If you were allowed to take only one photograph of yourself, what would it show? In the twenty-fir...

Just Another Day

Yesterday, I woke up from the sun rays entering through my window, just like I do every single day...

The Stitch Up

The year was 2016. The month, December. The stock markets high. The punishing sun of an Australian...

Psychological disorders: what are they?

Did you know that 20% of the world's population suffers from psychological disorders? Going by the current world population, listed by the U.N as 7 billion, that's 1.2 billion people who struggle with mental health conditions. In Kenya, 1 in every 4 people is likely to suffer from mental...

The Human Network - Lessons from Evolution

I am usually not a big fan of mixing up politics and science. Especially when it comes to the theo...

The Missing Truth

In this age of darkness we need some light. In the brightest of times, We need more sparkles...

‘Championing the HOPES of Young Zimbabweans’

While young people across the world are a diverse group, we’re all bound by the common understan...

Loving Women

After war, Sprung this flower, This rose. After being pressured down, Wilted, It...

A Utopian World

I wrote this with the hope that when somebody reads this, they will know that you can't change this world while expecting something in return. In fact, the greatest gift for any revolutionary is for his/her ideals to be circulated. So forget about those empty stares and non-existent than...