#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Plea Bargaining: A Broken System

Currently, in the criminal justice system, people like Shanta Sweatt are overlooked and ignored. Swe...

Are you searching for the path to success?

Sometimes, we want to change but we don't know how, we are tired of living this life in the minority...

IT'S BEEN 7 YEARS!

Today, when I read about the violence in Eastern Ghouta, Syria, my blood started to boil. I just rea...

The road to another Makoko

For a moment I thought I was at the popular 'Makoko' in Lagos state, Nigeria. Kids running around na...

Remember Me...

How would you want to remember me? Would it be fine if I’m remembered as the person that caused a l...

#PressForProgress: International Women's Day 2018

The world is a sphere,Two partitions.Life's a car,Two people behind its wheel.Then why a bar,In betw...

Redeem yourselves Ambassadors

If God is with us right now, seeing what is happening to His creations, what would He be telling us?...

Redefining Masculinity: Intersectionality and the Scale of Gender Oppr...

After in depth interviews and discussions with trainers in 2001, Women for Women International (WfWI...

Soulfully, A Butterfly

We are in the age of beauty,In the age of fitness,And all things "mighty".But what's mighty,If we bu...

The Power of "Sorry"

If your soul is awakening, You will know that you were wrong that time.Recall where you were wrong.Say sorry and don't do it again.And if doesn't work, try twice.And if still does not, try three times.Keep on trying.Because anything is better than ignorance or regret.Try, try and keep on trying.Try...