#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

The Challenge of Trust Rebuilding in the Burundian Youth: Preparing fo...

“I am not upset that you lied to me, I am upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” (Friedrich Ni...

Anguished Cries

Till last she was hookedAt the end his look was crookedHe laughed hearing their criesTheir hopes mel...

At the Brink of Nuclear Annihilation Once Again

I am no political scientist or national security expert; I am simply a young student watching from t...

Response to: Letter from a broke student

Angelica, I really found your post very interesting. First of all, let me tell you that I am a Chile...

Are We Really?

Home of the braveLand of the freeBut when you think about itAre we really?Or are we just cowardsWho stand behind prideWe never come togetherAlways one of two sidesLike a mirrorWe reflect one another’s personalityAnd when someone else is slightly differentWe resort to brutalityIf I’m gayThen I’m ment...

On Peace and Gardens

Looking for that misused, misunderstood word in the dictionary I felt like I was looking for a new w...

Sensitization Programs: a Requisite for Persons with and without Disab...

In my last article, The Irony of Inclusive Education: Students with Disabilities, I speculated on ma...

Why War?

Have you ever imagined living in a world where hatred, war, betrayal, and all those disastrous socie...

Making the Nigerian Graduates Useful

‘Good afternoon, “corpers”. How are you?’ ‘We’re fine and you?’ ‘I’m okay. Where is your PPA?’ ‘We’re serving at Igbo-odo’. ‘Are you guys in the same place as Seun?’ Seun was the only lady among us whom we were waiting for at the riverbank. ‘Yeah, how do you know her?’ I replied. ‘I d...

The Path to Developing Africa

“Africa my Africa”, Africa the second largest and second most populous continent in the world. A con...