#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Living

You live in a small town/city. The town/city is located in a state. The state is located in a coun...

For Every Child: Safer Internet

Safer Internet Day is a day that is aimed at raising awareness on cyberbullying, stalking and all...

Words of Wisdom

1. Turn your face to the sun and let the shadows fall behind you. 2.Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you, not because they are nice, but because you are. 3. Sometimes you just have to be your own hero and save your own little heart because sometimes the people y...

If I Were President...

Imagine what a whole country with no government for over 26 years can become? Unstable for sure, b...

Hear

I stand, head held high I scream till my voice is heard. I watch the passers-by Seeing our signs as only a word. But we are so much more. We are the voices of change and liberation. You may use your words to beat us sore. But the next stop is freedom station. You may...

Torn: Being a Cuban-American in a Time of Strain

When I was three months old, my mother nestled me in her arms and took me on an hour plane ride to...

Anticipating 2017:What's relevant to the well being of children and y...

In 2017, we renew our commitment towards Zimbabwean children and its young people. For us it is a...

Who says we are unfaithful?

Who says we are unfaithful? Apprehensions. We had many. And so was the stranger of nigh...

That moment of happiness

“Daai, paach rupya dinu na !” [Brother, please give me five rupees.] That little girl came...

Modern slavery is bigger than imagined

Modern slavery is a very real and tragic issue that has and is destroying the lives of millions of...