#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Never Forgetting Thee

(Dedicated to the victims of the APS Peshawar school massacre 2014) Arrow-heads, Can never...

The future of young people in a Brexit Wales

We have voted to leave the EU, plunging our country into instability and uncertainty. The publ...

#NotTooYoungToRun - Never Too Young To Run

The almost past event of the great divide which saw voters in the UK leave the EU contained us tee...

#SaveAleppo: Help Save our Humanity

The cries of civilians in east Aleppo have been silenced by the deafening sound of bombs that cour...

THREE THINGS I LEARNED AT THE REUSE CONFERENCE IN SOUTH-WESTERN NIGERI...

Learning how to make income and generating jobs from waste was the overarching topic on the table...

The Istanbul Convention – let’s get it ratified and eliminate viol...

The levels of violence against women and girls worldwide is terrifying. In 1993, the UN provided a...

HOPE FOR NIGERIA

A few months ago, my friend and I were discussing about the impact of the economic recession on th...

Human dignity and freedom in a multi-cultural, multi-religious world

A few days ago, I had to submit an assignment - an essay- on how the correct understanding of a hu...

The Legacy of Fidel Castro

On the 25th of November 2016, the 90-year-old Fidel Castro passed away. For millennials like mysel...

The Plight of Food Insecurity Affecting The Children Of South Africa

My country of birth, South Africa, is looked at as the beacon of hope for the entire continent of...