#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

A Utopian World

I wrote this with the hope that when somebody reads this, they will know that you can't change this world while expecting something in return. In fact, the greatest gift for any revolutionary is for his/her ideals to be circulated. So forget about those empty stares and non-existent than...

Voices of Youth for Global Wildlife Protection

It’ was World Wildlife Day on Friday 3 March. While its significance lies in animal lovers and a...

Sexual harassment in Egypt is over the limit

In the past few years, Egypt’s streets haven’t been the most welcoming of spaces for women of...

"Small problems"

Poverty and hunger are one of the biggest problems of our time that are ignored and set aside. The crisis has taken over the world, people have lost jobs, product prices have risen, and many barely make ends meet. There are more and more homeless and unemployed people and people with social...

I am an immigrant

In times of crisis we must remain together. W magazine got a bunch of known and unknown celebrities together to prove a point. I find it inspiring and courageous. We're citizens of the world, please do not forget that.

Drought in Kenya

Kenya is facing drought. The last time we had adequate amounts of rainfall was last year's long ra...

Cairo Life

Cairo... either you love it or you hate it. For some it's an ugly city. Yes, it really is an old,...

First Class

This is a fiction short story on poverty and capitalism in India How long has it been since I’ve gotten new shoes? Look at them, they’re disgusting! Nearly half my size, both roof and soles broken open and flapping everywhere. My toes wiggle freely without any protection. I assume it...

What Have We Done?

What can I do to make a difference? What can I do to change perceptions? What can I do to get othe...

Raise your voice for people in need!

We live such privileged lives without being aware of it at all. We get up every morning, make brea...