#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Ethics of Science and Technology

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein On...

Premarital Sex

Pre-marital sex is a very taboo topic for some, as it goes against many religions. However, this is...

Thou shalt not!

I am a morning person. It is a rare breed in my part of the world. Yet, I feel stronger and more emp...

A (Brief) History of Human Rights

Above is my first video (YouTube) explaining the history of human rights and its importance today. If you don't like my voice (like me!) - switch on the subtitles.Transcript: The History of Human RightsPerhaps the earliest recognizable document featuring any mention of what we have come to call huma...

I am a misfit in this world!

In Feb 2017, I completed my Bachelor Degree. Despite the fact that I have graduated with flying colo...

Learning for Tomorrow

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever” – Mahatma Gandhi To lear...

A Pragmatic Guide to Human Rights

I'm not a pragmatic person, maybe to my fault (or not), rather I'm quite idealistic in my approach...

The Path Between Financing and Adapting to Climate Change

When facing Climate Change, the possibility of stepping forward would be more successful if we wor...

World Water Day 2017: 'Why Wastewater?''

World water day is held annually on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of...

The flame of a new beginning

When you leave behind a huge crowd that gathers from various parts of the state, when people from...