Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

Pregnant at 15

She sits on the brown bench waiting for her turn to see the doctor. The queue is moving fast today, and she is glad because she has to go fetch firewood before it is too late, When it is her turn, she nervously approaches the scale. After the general physical checkup, she heads into the cons...

Holding in Emotional Pain

Many people walk outside their house, put on a smile with quite a bit of effort, and move on with their day. Into school they enter, or into college or into work they enter. There's the usual "Hey, how's it goin" or maybe even "كيف حالك؟?" ("How are you?" in Arabic). Greetings, goo...

The Culture of Football and Adolescents

It was Halloween night and Chad Stover’s high school football team needed a tackle. With the tea...

The price of being a beautiful Filipina

In the Philippines, the consecutive victories of beauty pageants have contributed to the growing ideology of the 'true essence of beauty'. Not only has that but the fad of fashion magazines also provided Filipinas an array of concepts on what is beautiful. From body modification-- the sexier...

Are You Choosing The Right Medical Assistant School Programs?

The recent outbreak of the Ebola virus highlights and focuses the importance of the medical and ot...

"Biting the Bullet"- Tears of those Living with HIV/AIDS.

Many have passed away on account of it, millions are living with it and billions in the world toda...

Ghana Child Mining problem

I am a student from a school in Jakarta called Jakarta Intercultural School, and my name is Patrick. I am writing this letter in the hopes of bringing a certain problem to attention. The problem at hand are the current situations where children are forced to work in the mines, for whatever c...

Teens and HIV/AIDS

The HIV and AIDS awareness day was a while ago (December 1st) .A few weeks ago I watched a video f...

Movie Review: 50/50

Movie Review: “50/50” “50/50”, inspired by the true story of its screenplay writer Will...

Earning money for the homeless, hungry, and our country

Last Thursday, me and a group of people were having a big discussion about how we can help others....