Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

2014 - a year of mixed feelings -We are the last generation that can f...

Hello friends, 2014 to me was a great year except for the fact that the happenings around my environment where not very pleasant to me. It was a year greeted with mixed feelings a lot happened all around the world, But in My country Nigeria, it was a year of joy and celebration to some b...

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN: Is Being Female A Crime?

Many girls and women alike are being violated globally on grounds of their gender,culture, class,...

ABORTION, AN UNENDING CONTROVERSY; HAVE YOUR SAY

Many see it as legal, others see it as illegal but the bottom line is that it has been an age-long...

Girls Empowerment

Although half of the total population of the world is composed of females, females are lagging far behind than males. Mostly gender inequality contributes to the backward position of females because it is gender inequality that causes lack of education, malnutrition, early marriage, trafficking of g...

In the Worst Year of Child Rights

According to UNICEF Report, 2014, the year 2014 is declared as the worst year for child rights. According to the report, globally 230 million children live in the countries & areas torn by armed conflicts. Children are facing war, violence, atrocities & violence. They are killed, orphaned, k...

A Poem for Ebola

This is a poem which I have written for Ebola Awareness. It is a cover of a song too (see note aft...

Pregnant at 15

She sits on the brown bench waiting for her turn to see the doctor. The queue is moving fast today, and she is glad because she has to go fetch firewood before it is too late, When it is her turn, she nervously approaches the scale. After the general physical checkup, she heads into the cons...

Holding in Emotional Pain

Many people walk outside their house, put on a smile with quite a bit of effort, and move on with their day. Into school they enter, or into college or into work they enter. There's the usual "Hey, how's it goin" or maybe even "كيف حالك؟?" ("How are you?" in Arabic). Greetings, goo...

The Culture of Football and Adolescents

It was Halloween night and Chad Stover’s high school football team needed a tackle. With the tea...

The price of being a beautiful Filipina

In the Philippines, the consecutive victories of beauty pageants have contributed to the growing ideology of the 'true essence of beauty'. Not only has that but the fad of fashion magazines also provided Filipinas an array of concepts on what is beautiful. From body modification-- the sexier...