Fact Sheet

WHO estimates that 70% of premature deaths among adults are largely due to behaviors initiated during adolescence, including poor eating habits (WHO 2005. Ten facts about chronic diseases).

Road traffic crashes are the leading cause of death among young people between 10 and 24 years, according to a report published by WHO. The report, Youth and Road Safety, says that nearly 400 000 young people under the age of 25 are killed in road traffic crashes every year. Millions more are injured or disabled. (WHO-2007)

Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, surpassed only by accidents and homicide. (CDC-2007)

Young people under 25 years constitute one-third of the more than a quarter of a million people infected with an STI each day (Blum and Nelson 2004; FHI 2009).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10549265_700685736647376_1809865485359025340_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFSriLanka/photos/a.247131832002771.58114.183150725...

#Photography for Storytelling

An open invitation to all enthusiasts! Join UNICEF Sri Lanka at this event announcing the 3rd...

Selling the Treatments?.... YES.

Pay for treatments, an evil act against those most affected by HIV: The poor. Yes, in Honduras...

Abortion and Sex Education

Abortion and Sex Education Sexuality can concern issues socially, economically, politically, e...

Non-Communicable Diseases: Obesity in Developing Countries

In the late 1900s, health organizations focused on malnutrition, hunger, and the lack of food for...

What matters most to youth? Part 1

When I sent out the question, “What matters most to the youth in Nigeria?” I thought I already...

We're Just Under a Little Stress

Here are some of the things I learned from school. Like how sometimes, school counsellors will ask...

Chilean Youth care about Sexual and Reproductive Rights

Chile is the so called “big brother” of the region because of its strength and confidence gene...

“Young people in Gaza are the most traumatized population in the wor...

In an exclusive interview with "Humanitarian's Manifesto", a community powered initiative, Dr. Aki...

Mental Health and It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

What is mental health to you? What comes to mind when you hear mental health? Mental heal...