#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

Spoken truth?

We have all experienced the power of language. We have all read something that stuck to us. Been tol...

How Instagram made a big hole in my life

Nowadays, we live with the swift flow of technology. Technology is growing rapidly, innovation is en...

On the path of salubrious Diwali

Happy Diwali to all!! The festival of lights is one of biggest festivals of the Hindus and is celebr...

Heartful journeys: Beating toxic love

One of the most toxic forms of relationships is when one party is a prisoner to a constructed fantas...

Be your best version

If there is a kind of diversity in the world which is a cause of anguish for some of us, it is the d...

The subtle art of forgiveness

If you told your past self that you would come to learn one of the simplest yet most intricate funda...

Youth empowerment

I dedicate this article to the youth of present day! I know its difficult, burdensome and demanding,...

You were never a burden

When this past October 10th rolled around, Mental Health Awareness day had my social media feeds flo...

The effects of alcoholism

Most of the time when we think of alcoholics we think of people who lost their jobs or homes, are di...

Fight For Children's Rights

Children are the most vulnerable people in the world. They’re given much attention, but this isn’t e...