#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

The Istanbul Convention – let’s get it ratified and eliminate viol...

The levels of violence against women and girls worldwide is terrifying. In 1993, the UN provided a...

Living in One of the World’s Scariest Neighborhoods

This blog post is written by a 21 year old, living in a conflict-ridden city in Syria The...

Dear Pressure

the day starts with my alarm clock that wants me to get up. my determination tears at me asking...

Child Brides: a violation of children's rights

Every year, 15 million girls become child brides. FIFTEEN million girls every YEAR are married by...

My digital mapping experience

Having grown up in the slums of Kitwe and Lusaka here in Zambia, I have been exposed to many forms...

How Exercise Reduces Stress

Midterms are coming up and you have other assignments to worry about. You cannot seem to manage yo...

The long way home

It's raining outside now, the tiny drops glistening on your windshield We sit in your car, the...

Unheard Voices of Children

Last year, I worked as a researcher for a National Baseline Study on Violence Against Children (NB...

The Plight of Food Insecurity Affecting The Children Of South Africa

My country of birth, South Africa, is looked at as the beacon of hope for the entire continent of...

I see children today

I see children today and my heart cries, For the children who live in fear, Not only because...