#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

Mental Health Stigma

With depression prevalent in as many as 15 million adults, in the US alone, the mental health of ind...

A hug a day to save the world

Hugging is an action rarely done in my family. We do love each other, but we are not very physical i...

Mental illness

Mental illness is a major issue affecting young people. Currently one in 16 young people in Australi...

Why the 1.5°C target matters to my country

Since the revolution of 2011, Tunisia, my country, has been in the process of building a new democra...

Young 1ove - It's time to talk about HIV/AIDS

When I was six years old, my mother died of HIV but I was never told what happened to her. Even toda...

Writing may be your only and strongest ally

I'm an extremely introverted person. I just can't imagine myself talking openly to others about myse...

Ethics of Science and Technology

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein On...

A Song for Humanity

What drives me nuts is the fact that people have so much capacity for kindness but choose to ignore or suppress it in fear of being hurt. If we try just a little bit to practice kindness in our every day actions and look at life at least one degree through a love lens, I truly believe the world can...

Simplicity: the art of happy living

In spite of recent advancements in science and technology in our world today, I've come to realize t...

A Grandfather like you ❤

A warm day. I wake up to the news of your sickness getting worse. I try and convince myself that thi...