#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

Anticipating 2017:What's relevant to the well being of children and y...

In 2017, we renew our commitment towards Zimbabwean children and its young people. For us it is a...

That moment of happiness

“Daai, paach rupya dinu na !” [Brother, please give me five rupees.] That little girl came...

It's 2017! New year, new me.

Hello 2017! As people repeat every new year, new year, new me! I think we all promised ourselves t...

'I am Able': The Commonwealth Youth Council's call for submissions

The Commonwealth Youth Council is currently working on a two-year project, ‘I am Able’, to raise awareness of the lives of young people with disabilities across Commonwealth member states. The Commonwealth believes this is an important issue, as too often the voices, desires, needs and s...

Seeds of Hope

It feels as if we live in such a cruel, uncaring world absolutely drenched in apathy. A world wher...

Education: The Cure to All

Access to healthcare is a basic human right. In other words "right to health" is a right; mentio...

Air conditioning is killing the planet?

Last week, there was a power cut in my street and all the houses were without electricity for some...

THREE THINGS I LEARNED AT THE REUSE CONFERENCE IN SOUTH-WESTERN NIGERI...

Learning how to make income and generating jobs from waste was the overarching topic on the table...

A Cliché Birthday Wishlist

Last month of the year, and it’s my birthday month! Probably the most exciting thing about bir...

The Istanbul Convention – let’s get it ratified and eliminate viol...

The levels of violence against women and girls worldwide is terrifying. In 1993, the UN provided a...