#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

An Amplified Voice

Scrolling relentlessly on my Facebook newsfeed, I stumbled upon the opportunity to continue my pursu...

The Herculean Women

One of the leading causes of infertility in otherwise young and healthy females is PCOS (polycystic...

The Pearl of the Orient Seas Meets the Green City in the Sun

UNICEF recently gave a group of young people from different parts of the world an opportunity to int...

Who Defines Beauty?

European social norms have influenced what we perceive as beautiful because like everything else bea...

Food insecurity and poverty

For me, growing up in an urban community was not a bed of roses. It was not devoid of neighbors livi...

Scared of Death?

There are plenty of ways to die. Enter Gary Hoy, an enigmatic and skilled lawyer. Having graduated a...

Strength in weakness

Life can suck sometimes.So people will tell you to keep going, to smile and put it all behind. They...

The Burn

I had a minor accident a few days ago. My forehead, a part of my cheek and a small patch of my shoul...

Experiencing the loss of a loved one at University: A personal journey

My first week at University (and many, many weeks after that) was nightmarish. I lost my father the...

From the Eyes of a Refugee

On November 11, 2013 my elder brother and I stood at the tarmac of the city’s airport under the swel...