#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

Mid-year thoughts

Life speeds up. We don’t realize time has gone by until we look at the calendar and… it’s June! Half...

The challenges people with chronic illness can face

The number of people who are struggling with chronic illness increases every year. Chronic illness a...

Antibiotic misuse and antimicrobial resistance!

ANTIBIOTICS Antibiotics are drugs used in fighting infectious diseases caused by bacteria. Accordin...

Life Below Water

According to “livescience.com”, Approximately 71% of Earth's surface is water and within that 71% ho...

The world of nature

If you truly love nature you will find beauty everywhere!Nature never stops to amaze us.It's the bes...

Hole In Me

Clawing to free myself,Gasping for air, panic,Silently screaming,The silence hits like a slap in the...

Pad-ern of Change

“Think globally and act locally” is a motto that everyone should live by in order to make change become a reality. We were assigned by our teacher to set a goal for changing a global issue on a local level, and we chose to provide women and girls, especially those with financial struggles or those l...

My Journey, My Flag

My journey, my flag.The final salute,She said as tears dripped down her face.The words never came.Her life, my pain.The writing said it all, she was all gone.The red flashing light said it all.She passed away in spirit and soul, she’ll never go.But that was the day the words never came.Therefore, as...

Poverty in the Philippines

Poverty— seven letters that affect the lives of billions of people worldwide, especially those in my...

Must read for all students...

Sometimes you wish for your life to move more quickly. Thoughts of the future dance in your mind- "b...