#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

A mine-free world: Detonating the safety vision of demining

We step foot outside of our homes, every day, thinking we are returning back to our comfortable ambi...

How to succeed in failure without really trying

Some paths you must walk alone. We all know that. We come to this world alone and alone we must go,...

Child soldiers: An effect of conflict in society

"Human rights law declare 18 as the minimum legal age of recruitment and use of children in hostilit...

Stars - Your Stars

Barefaced so here's a random midnight thought.Countless marks are visible on my face and that makes...

To Those Struggling

Some context:A lot of people ask me why I am often sick or in the hospital. Here is a link to a webs...

Food security

Food security and insecurity is an ongoing issue and problem around the world. In many regions and a...

Carry on living and fighting

I don’t feel scared talking about my status openly in Ukraine. If you are alone, of course, it is sc...

A letter about the ¨Migration Crisis¨ from a Honduran girl

There are ways to solve social/political problems. It's understandable that countries may not react...

Gene editing: The cure of the future

Brian Madeux had Hunter’s syndrome, an inherited, rare genetic disorder caused by a missing or malfu...

A step towards an equal world for all

"When the world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful " - Malala.Dear young people,My name is E...