#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

It's been a year A.L.R.E.A.D.Y

It’s been a year since you were last seen at school. It’s been a year since you were last hosted on...

Tackling World Poverty

Last year I believe we could have ended world poverty seven times over – this is how. In a report in...

TORSION

Disclaimer: I am not a medical practitioner or in any related medical field. I am just sharing this story in hopes that it will inspire, educate and help in the general human health.Torsion: the twisting especially of one end of a body while the other is held fixed. Oxford CONCISE English Dictionary...

Where does your interest lie?

In this matter, In what you do, In whom you are, In what you are becoming. Where does your int...

Tell Me What's Up

There’s discretion. There are societal demands and tolerances. There’s what is socially acceptable...

I will hold your hand

Dear Friend,I know times are tough right now, adjusting to life seems slow and painful, shoes don't...

Pollution is our problem

Pollution- A dangerous growing issue that continues to harm the environment we live in, and sadly it...

Emotional Healing

It's February 2018. I didn't make many News Years' resolutions. Those things usually get dumped by m...

Scoring a goal at a time....

I’ve been reading this book, for some time now. It’s called Grit. And I’ve fallen in love with it....

Live Your Dream

Is it okay for you to dream? Or have your own dream, for that matter? Are you dreaming what your...