Health: The Big Picture

A health worker (right) marks the finger of a toddler with indelible ink, indicating she has received a dose of polio vaccine, in a camp for people displaced by flooding, in the town of Bin Qasim, in Sindh Province. © UNICEF/NYHQ2011-0187/Asad Zaidi

What is Health?

The World Health Organization defines health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

What health issues affect young people the most?

In the early years of life, children are very vulnerable to infectious diseases. Consequently, for children under 5 years old, the leading causes of death are pneumonia, diarrheal diseases, malaria and HIV, and the risk of death is highest in the first month and first year of life. These infectious diseases are most often associated with underlying malnutrition, contaminated drinking water, and indoor air pollution. In the last decade, however, the world has seen a lot of progress in improving the health of young children through vaccinations,
treatment of infections, nutritional supplements, improved water supplies and environmental sanitation, and the prevention of HIV transmission from mothers to their children.

As children enter into adolescence and youth, they face a new set of health challenges. These challenges are more linked to behavior and the unprotected environment around them, and include, injuries from accidents, tobacco and substance abuse, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections, and mental health issues. Consequently, accidents and related injuries are, the leading cause of death among 15 to 24 year olds.

Barriers to health

Despite the magnitude of ill health and disability among the youth, most young people are not aware of the specific health issues that affect youth, and the risk factors associated with their health. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness about their health issues. Young people, especially in developing countries, encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities and communities do not have confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable in seeking care, and those who seek care are often confronted with negative attitudes from health-care providers. Additionally, many young people do not have the financial resources to enable them to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies often require a parent or husband’s written permission to access services.

Harmful traditional practices such as child marriage also contribute to poor health among young people, including sexually transmitted infections and complications of pregnancy. When young girls become pregnant before they themselves grow up, both they and their children face an uphill battle to survive and achieve their optimum developmental potential.

Emerging issues

Mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem globally. Recent reports from WHO indicate that mental disorders and psychosocial distress are affecting millions of children and adolescents in all parts of the world. Suicide and depression are alarmingly common among both rich and poor and in both urban and rural environments. New evidence shows that most mental health problems that continue through adulthood are manifest before the age of 14, suggesting that mental health assessment in childhood could
provide early warning and early treatment, possibly diminishing the impact in later life. It is estimated that one in five adolescents will experience a mental health problem during their lifetime, and yet they are less likely than adults to recognize the symptoms of mental disorders or seek treatment.

THE SECRET OF STRONG AND HEALTHY TEETH

Have you ever talked near someone and they held their nostrils very tight or moved away and lookin...

Why going veggie really makes you healthier.

A couple of months ago I decide it was time for me to try a meat-free diet. I'll be honest I only lasted a week, but I made my target. Being accustomed to meat I thought it would be near impossible (ok, I exaggerated a bit) to stop eating it. But it wasn't. I managed it and surprisingl...

Depression - what does it look like?

Depression is often treated lightly - around school, we can often hear classmates throwing the ter...

http://imgur.com/Wn9niN1.jpg

Source: http://i.imgur.com/Wn9niN1.jpg

In Sierra Leone youth are helping fight Ebola

He’s may only be 20 years old, but Alusine Bangura, is of the young people helping in the fight...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This...

Collective Action for sustainable development

Leave no one behind… Village communities show the way towards an inclusive post-2015 framework....

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10624437_609855422469193_1273127250_n.jpg

Source: http://instagram.com/red?modal=true

When a movie gives you a motivation.

In a previous article, I wrote about AIDS, including three movies about AIDS, homosexuality and...

Story of Basanta Adhikari, a youth advocate in Nepal

“To fall in a mud is not a disgrace but to stay there is”. I failed many times in my life, b...

.. YoUtH ..

Please read this. I 've watched this speech in English and I love so much this text that I want to share with all of youthvoices.. If you want to see the amazing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHE_XGtUNx4 but you can read : Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for t...