Fact Sheet

• In 2008, around 33.4 million people were living with HIV worldwide. Of these, 4.9 million were young people (15–24 years old), and 2.1 million were children under 15.
  • Most of HIV infections still occur in sub-Saharan Africa. This region makes up more than 80 percent of young people (15–24 years old) who are living with HIV. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland, more than 1 in 10 young people are living with HIV (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • Girls and young women are especially affected by HIV. Worldwide, over 60 per cent of all young people living with HIV are young women. In sub- Saharan Africa, young women make up nearly 70 per cent of all young people living with HIV. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Only 31 per cent of young men and 19 per cent of young women have comprehensive, correct knowledge[1] of HIV and AIDS. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The Central and Eastern Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States (CEE/CIS) region is home to nearly 1 of 4 of the world’s injecting drug users. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • In the worst-affected countries, more than 40% of injecting drug users are infected with HIV. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • In sub-Saharan Africa, out of young people who reported they had had sex with multiple partners during the previous year, 47 per cent of young men and 32 per cent of young women claimed to have used a condom during the last intercourse. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)

[1] Comprehensive, correct knowledge is defined as correctly identifying the two major ways of preventing the sexual transmission of HIV (using condoms and limiting sex to one faithful, uninfected partner), rejecting the two most common local misconceptions about HIV transmission and knowing that a healthy-looking person can transmit HIV.

MALE CIRCUMCISION DOES NOT PROVIDE COMPLETE PROTECTION AGAINST HIV

Circumcised men can still become infected with the virus and, if HIV-positive, can infect their se...

Child abuse and the Environment!

Should we accept it or refuse it? It was 8 am in the morning, as I woke up on the wrong side of my b...

Africa: the Enormous Challenges of a Long-lasting Epidemic (HIV)

The African countries south of the Sahara have some of the best HIV surveillance systems in the wo...

HIV AND GENDER EQUALITY

HIV is the leading cause of death and disease among women aged 15-49 years worldwide. Globally, th...

Day 1: #UNSLCD (15:00)

Voting has been complete! Andres & Kelly have been elected Chairperson and Vice Chairperson respectively. Facilitators, Discussion Monitors, and Sub-theme editors are being appointed, and the final touches are being made for the Video conference on Monday, March 3, 2014. Use #UNSLC...

The girl child - Rape!

Rape- is a word which is supposed to be wiped out of existence. Most girls in the rural and urban ar...

Story of Parina Subba Limbu, Founder of Dristi Nepal

What is Dristi Nepal ? Women are fighting for their rights and respectful existence here. The...

Boys and Girls- Spread the Message!

I have come to realize that sex before an affair or marriage is needed to light the torch of courtsh...

Ready Willing and Able Documentary

Ready, Willing and Able is a social documentary project started in February 2012 in Kathmandu, Nep...

Sky not the Limit

'At a tender age of 20, he has achieved so much not only for himself, but for the country as well....