Fact Sheet

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

• 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

Photography for storytelling

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post e...

The life-changing gifts I received during my first intense ‘Week-End...

Hola amigos! :) First, I apologise for my 2 weeks of absence. I’m slowly getting back on tra...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10549265_700685736647376_1809865485359025340_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFSriLanka/photos/a.247131832002771.58114.183150725...

#Photography for Storytelling

An open invitation to all enthusiasts! Join UNICEF Sri Lanka at this event announcing the 3rd...

Selling the Treatments?.... YES.

Pay for treatments, an evil act against those most affected by HIV: The poor. Yes, in Honduras...

What You Do Not Know About Ebola Virus Can Kill You

Recently, the Ebola virus has outstripped Guinean borders; the whole continent is in danger. Not only is the epidemic killing but it also has the power to change your perception. In fact, after this scourge, the world is not able to see Africans as usual anymore. This is not racism; this is...

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...

We Are Just As Important

The International Aids Conference AIDS2014 has come and gone, but we have learnt from this confere...

Sweet like Shuga!

One component of my To-watch list I never really get to check out is Shuga. Shuga is a soap opera...

Were are the Latin Americans at AIDS2014?

Today is the last day of the AIDS conference, it has been such a great experience and opportunity that obviously is once in a lifetime. The meeting were great but for the entire week I've been asking: where are the Latin Americans representatives at the conference?. It seems that there a...