Fact Sheet

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

• 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

Don't Abuse Me! Use Me!

A Child is a person below the legal age of 18 years, as stipulated by the laws of Zambia. By virtue of been human children are entitled to rights which are known as child rights. It is unfortunate that despite Zambia been a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Ch...

Should the needle exchange programme be implemented in the Seychelles

An island treasure in the ocean has not been able to escape the rampant drug trade haunting the wo...

Why We Should Practice Safe Sex

The coming of technology has seen both good and bad vice in our societies. Youth are enganging in...

Re-entry Policy is Under Review in Zambia

As an educator I have observed both advantages and disadvantages of the re-entry policy. However, there are more disadvantages than advantages. Well, the main advantage is the girl child getting back to class. Their performance will be affected, and the main disadvantage is that she may beco...

Stigmatization

HIV can be contracted in many ways; some are born with it, some get it through accidents, yet some get it through defilement and rape. We all have people in our communities and schools that have HIV and we should always remember that they too are human and have the right to access that which we too...

Why you need to be a part of #YouthForChange

My name is Rahma and I’m 15 years old. I’ve been campaigning against FGM for 3 years in a yout...

HIV AND AIDS IN ZAMBIA

My name is George Tembo and I am 17 years old. I'm hereby concerned about the disease which is aff...

The reasons why i think there is poverty and hunger in Zambia

My name is Kelvin Chikwa. I am 17 years old from Lusaka, Zambia. I am at Munali secondary school.Here are some of the reasons I think Zambia is developing poverty and hunger.......................... Dependency Syndrome: In as much as foreign aid is essential for the development of count...

Day One #PMNCH, Johannesburg, South Africa.

Despite improvements, 289,000 women still die every year from complications at birth and 6.6 milli...

My Fathers And I

My fathers and I I remember when the grass became a patriot on the sod and how growth was a midget in conflict. I remember when men couldn't feed and how wooden huts became a choice. I remember how the territory of slaves was carved from pain. I remember when my forefathers agreed to change the worl...