Fact Sheet

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

• 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

What You Do Not Know About Ebola Virus Can Kill You

Recently, the Ebola virus has outstripped Guinean borders; the whole continent is in danger. Not only is the epidemic killing but it also has the power to change your perception. In fact, after this scourge, the world is not able to see Africans as usual anymore. This is not racism; this is...

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...

We Are Just As Important

The International Aids Conference AIDS2014 has come and gone, but we have learnt from this confere...

Sweet like Shuga!

One component of my To-watch list I never really get to check out is Shuga. Shuga is a soap opera...

Were are the Latin Americans at AIDS2014?

Today is the last day of the AIDS conference, it has been such a great experience and opportunity that obviously is once in a lifetime. The meeting were great but for the entire week I've been asking: where are the Latin Americans representatives at the conference?. It seems that there a...

Quiz: How much do you know about HIV and AIDS?

1. What is the difference between HIV and AIDS? A. AIDS is caused by HIV. B. HIV is caused by AIDS. C. They are the same thing. 2. HIV can be transmitted before symptoms occur and before AIDS develops. How long can the onset of AIDS take? A. 6 months B. 5 years C....

Legalising prostitution: the two sides of the argument

One Saturday morning about a year back, I was walking down a road in one major suburb of Colombo (...

It's time to step up the pace in the fight against AIDS

Have you heard about the 20th International AIDS Conference taking place next week in Melbourne, A...

Empowered communities, collective choices

Every delivery of The Somali mother has been agonizing: the third ended in miscarriage and subsequen...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...