Fact Sheet

• In 2008, around 33.4 million people were living with HIV worldwide. Of these, 4.9 million were young people (15–24 years old), and 2.1 million were children under 15.
  • Most of HIV infections still occur in sub-Saharan Africa. This region makes up more than 80 percent of young people (15–24 years old) who are living with HIV. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • In Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland, more than 1 in 10 young people are living with HIV (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • Girls and young women are especially affected by HIV. Worldwide, over 60 per cent of all young people living with HIV are young women. In sub- Saharan Africa, young women make up nearly 70 per cent of all young people living with HIV. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • Only 31 per cent of young men and 19 per cent of young women have comprehensive, correct knowledge[1] of HIV and AIDS. (UNICEF, Progress for Children, 2010)
  • The Central and Eastern Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States (CEE/CIS) region is home to nearly 1 of 4 of the world’s injecting drug users. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • In the worst-affected countries, more than 40% of injecting drug users are infected with HIV. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)
  • In sub-Saharan Africa, out of young people who reported they had had sex with multiple partners during the previous year, 47 per cent of young men and 32 per cent of young women claimed to have used a condom during the last intercourse. (UNICEF, Children and AIDS, 2010)

[1] Comprehensive, correct knowledge is defined as correctly identifying the two major ways of preventing the sexual transmission of HIV (using condoms and limiting sex to one faithful, uninfected partner), rejecting the two most common local misconceptions about HIV transmission and knowing that a healthy-looking person can transmit HIV.

The Future World is in Children’s Hands

What do children need the most?? Love, respect, to play, to have fun, to be seen, to be listen...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Be your own leader, and believe in that lead...

From January 13th to 17th, the 4th Pan-African Youth Leadership Summit was held in Dakar (Senegal)...

2014--The Promising Road Ahead

The Pope has spoken about 2014. He calls for change, peace and unity across the planet. In my opin...

"2013 was a real test of the global humanitarian system, and there is no in...

Source: http://www.dw.de/un-issues-2014-appeal-to-tackle-global-humanitarian-crisis/a-17...

UN issues 2014 appeal to tackle global humanitarian crisis

The UN's humanitarian chief Valerie Amos has warned of an unprecedented global crisis in 2014. She called for increased support for millions displaced by conflict and natural disasters. Valerie Amos warned Thursday that millions at the beginning of 2014 were facing severe hardship either as int...

“Now imagine this continuing for generation after generation”

This is the video after the other one I posted. Just think of what a girl can do when she has the...

Girl power

Just think about it.

Sunitha Krishnan – Anti-trafficking crusader!

I got to know Dr. Sunitha Krishnan when I was researching human trafficking and measures to preven...

The world is broken and I still love her

What is happening in the world? A poet once said "my mother has got syphilis, but I still love...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/do-condoms-encourage-young

Do condoms encourage young people to have sex more often?

After attending a discussion on whether condoms encourage young people to have sex more often at t...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/the-challenges-sex-workers

The challenges sex workers face in protecting themselves against HIV a...

Patience is a sex worker from Zimbabwe. She shared some of the challenges sex workers face in prot...