Fact Sheet

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

• 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

Youth & Community Theatre for Development

Yesterday morning, on 23 June at UNICEF NYHQ, there was a feature on “Community Theatre in Achieving Results for Children” that was part of UNICEF’s 2014 Spotlight series on Communication for Development (C4D) Innovations for Equity. This feature facilitated a panel discussion on how C...

Save the Invisible children // The Street Children

I am really honoured to be here and thank you for all that you do for the children worldwide BUT...

My heart is bleeding for Maasai girls

My heart is bleeding for Maasai girls Yesterday marked the first day of the 2014 World Cup and a...

Youths in Post 2015 Development Agenda in Morocco

Young people should be at the forefront of global change and innovation. Empowered, they can be ke...

Saving Alice and Alicia.

Written by Ajoke Adebisi. In September, 2000, the member states of the United Nations made a p...

Christian Girls in a Sexy World

Coupled with the buzz of religious norms, the relationship with sexual health and development in most parts of the world - girls are a major entity. There are huge barriers raising the heights against change due to religious tenets and other viral misconceptions of girls sexual health by uneducated...

Positive Deviance

Positive Deviance is based on the observation that in every community there are certain individual...

World Summit Youth Award 2014

YOUNG DIGITAL POWER 4 SOCIAL GOOD An international contest for a global change. Promoting digita...

The Standard Of "Sexual Health" In Nigeria

The issue of sexual health has been a heart-ache in the domain of growth and its fundamental right....

Have your say in the fight against HIV!

What would you say if you had the chance to tell the leaders in the fight against HIV anything you...