Fact Sheet

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ
  • 2.1 million adolescents (10-19 years) were living with HIV in 2012.
  • About 300,000 new HIV infections occurred among adolescents (15-19 years) in 2012.
  • HIV is the second leading cause of death among adolescents according to the 2014 WHO Health for the World’s Adolescents report.
  • AIDS-related deaths among adolescents (10-19 years) increased by 50% between 2005 and 2012. Overall, deaths due to AIDS fell by 30%.
  • Doing the right thing at the right time for all adolescents could avert 2 million new infections among adolescents (10-19 years) by 2020.
  • 260,000 new HIV infections occurred among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries in 2012.
  • 850,000 new infections among children (0-14 years) in low- and middle-income countries were prevented between 2005 and 2012.
  • 34% of children (0-14 years) received the life-saving ART they needed in 2012 versus 64% of adults.
  • Without treatment, 1/3 of infants living with HIV will die before their first birthday, and half will die before their second birthday.

For more facts and details, check out www.childrenandaids.org.

What are the causes of the increase in prostitution rates in Kabwe?

Prostitution as a whole has become a serious draw back in the development of the country; this is...

Quest for Internet Access at Luanshya Secondary School

The internet has become part of our everyday life because of its ease access and diversity. Today,...

Is sex just a social union?

Many a time, I have tried to survey and parry the questioning effect on sex and its constituents. I believe it is a redefined commitment entitled to both parties (man & woman) on a divine standard. The world we live in today defines sex as a 'social commitment', which is a taboo to fundamental n...

Improper Mindset about HIV

HIV is a virus that causes AIDS. A person can contract AIDS by having unprotected sex with an infe...

Let's treat this

The definition for HIV is human immune deficiency virus and AIDS is acquired immune deficiency syndrome. The difference between the two is that HIV is a virus while AIDS is a condition. A person can be infected with HIV by having unprotected sexual intercourse with an infected person. Circum...

Causes of a disease that can never be cured

Causes of a disease that can never be cured Experience is a school where a man learns what a big...

21 Questions!

I don't know how to start this note or make the words suitable for everyone to understand. Well the...

Zambia's First Lady Partners with UNICEF Child Ambassadors HIV Advocac...

One third (4 million) of the Zambian population is 15-24 years old; however, every hour, 3 of these...

VOICES OF YOUTH ON AIR!

On 2nd March, 2014 children in Zambia joined the rest of the world in commemorating The Internatio...

What is H.I.V/AIDS?

AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is a disease caused...