Learn More About HIV and AIDS

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

What is HIV?

HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus attacks cells in your body that fight off infection and keep the body healthy. When HIV has damaged the immune system, someone is said to have AIDS, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome. As HIV takes hold the body produces antibodies in an attempt to fight the virus.

What is AIDS?

AIDS stands for 'acquired immunodeficiency syndrome' and is a surveillance definition based on signs, symptoms, infections, and cancers associated with the deficiency of the immune system that stems from infection with HIV.

What are the symptoms of HIV?

Most people infected with HIV do not know that they have become infected, because they do not feel ill immediately after infection. However, some people may experience “Acute retroviral syndrome” 1-6 weeks after the HIV infection has happened. Symptoms of this syndrome are:

· fever

· rash

· joint pains

· enlarged lymph nodes

Whether or not HIV infection causes initial symptoms, an HIV-infected person is highly infectious during this initial period and can transmit the virus to another person. The only way to determine whether HIV is present in a person's body is by testing for HIV antibodies or for HIV itself.

When does a person have AIDS?

The term AIDS applies to the most advanced stages of HIV infection. It is defined by the existence of more than 20 opportunistic infections or HIV-related cancers.

How quickly do people infected with HIV develop AIDS?

The length of time can vary widely between individuals. The majority of people infected with HIV, if not treated, develop signs of HIV-related illness within 5-10 years, but the time between infection with HIV and being diagnosed with AIDS can be 10–15 years, sometimes longer.

The AIDS crisis,the ''Dallas Buyers Club'' and ''the Normal Heart(s)''...

Let's talk about AIDS. Who has not heard about it? Unfortunately, this pandemic has been a par...

Your Health; Your Responsibility

The theme in the Seychelles for health is “your health, your responsibility.” The health care system in the Seychelles caters for access to health care for everyone. The largest proportion of the government’s budget is given to the Ministry of Health to cater for the health care of the...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...

Child Marriage: What should YOU(th) do?

Nowadays Child Marriage which is commonly known as “বাল্যবিবাহ (Ballo Bibaho...

Photography for storytelling

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post e...

The life-changing gifts I received during my first intense ‘Week-End...

Hola amigos! :) First, I apologise for my 2 weeks of absence. I’m slowly getting back on tra...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10549265_700685736647376_1809865485359025340_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFSriLanka/photos/a.247131832002771.58114.183150725...

#Photography for Storytelling

An open invitation to all enthusiasts! Join UNICEF Sri Lanka at this event announcing the 3rd...

Selling the Treatments?.... YES.

Pay for treatments, an evil act against those most affected by HIV: The poor. Yes, in Honduras...

What You Do Not Know About Ebola Virus Can Kill You

Recently, the Ebola virus has outstripped Guinean borders; the whole continent is in danger. Not only is the epidemic killing but it also has the power to change your perception. In fact, after this scourge, the world is not able to see Africans as usual anymore. This is not racism; this is...

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...