Learn More About HIV and AIDS

What is HIV?

HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus attacks cells in your body that fight off infection and keep the body healthy. When HIV has damaged the immune system, someone is said to have AIDS, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome. As HIV takes hold the body produces antibodies in an attempt to fight the virus.

What is AIDS?

AIDS stands for 'acquired immunodeficiency syndrome' and is a surveillance definition based on signs, symptoms, infections, and cancers associated with the deficiency of the immune system that stems from infection with HIV.

What are the symptoms of HIV?

Most people infected with HIV do not know that they have become infected, because they do not feel ill immediately after infection. However, some people may experience “Acute retroviral syndrome” 1-6 weeks after the HIV infection has happened. Symptoms of this syndrome are:

• fever
  • rash
  • joint pains
  • enlarged lymph nodes

Whether or not HIV infection causes initial symptoms, an HIV-infected person is highly infectious during this initial period and can transmit the virus to another person. The only way to determine whether HIV is present in a person's body is by testing for HIV antibodies or for HIV itself.

When does a person have AIDS?

The term AIDS applies to the most advanced stages of HIV infection. It is defined by the existence of more than 20 opportunistic infections or HIV-related cancers.

How quickly do people infected with HIV develop AIDS?

The length of time can vary widely between individuals. The majority of people infected with HIV, if not treated, develop signs of HIV-related illness within 5-10 years, but the time between infection with HIV and being diagnosed with AIDS can be 10–15 years, sometimes longer.

Let's treat this

The definition for HIV is human immune deficiency virus and AIDS is acquired immune deficiency syndrome. The difference between the two is that HIV is a virus while AIDS is a condition. A person can be infected with HIV by having unprotected sexual intercourse with an infected person. Circum...

Causes of a disease that can never be cured

Causes of a disease that can never be cured Experience is a school where a man learns what a big...

21 Questions!

I don't know how to start this note or make the words suitable for everyone to understand. Well the...

Zambia's First Lady Partners with UNICEF Child Ambassadors HIV Advocac...

One third (4 million) of the Zambian population is 15-24 years old; however, every hour, 3 of these...

VOICES OF YOUTH ON AIR!

On 2nd March, 2014 children in Zambia joined the rest of the world in commemorating The Internatio...

What is H.I.V/AIDS?

AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) is a disease caused...

MALE CIRCUMCISION DOES NOT PROVIDE COMPLETE PROTECTION AGAINST HIV

Circumcised men can still become infected with the virus and, if HIV-positive, can infect their se...

Child abuse and the Environment!

Should we accept it or refuse it? It was 8 am in the morning, as I woke up on the wrong side of my b...

Africa: the Enormous Challenges of a Long-lasting Epidemic (HIV)

The African countries south of the Sahara have some of the best HIV surveillance systems in the wo...

HIV AND GENDER EQUALITY

HIV is the leading cause of death and disease among women aged 15-49 years worldwide. Globally, th...