Learn More About HIV and AIDS

What is HIV?

HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus attacks cells in your body that fight off infection and keep the body healthy. When HIV has damaged the immune system, someone is said to have AIDS, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome. As HIV takes hold the body produces antibodies in an attempt to fight the virus.

What is AIDS?

AIDS stands for 'acquired immunodeficiency syndrome' and is a surveillance definition based on signs, symptoms, infections, and cancers associated with the deficiency of the immune system that stems from infection with HIV.

What are the symptoms of HIV?

Most people infected with HIV do not know that they have become infected, because they do not feel ill immediately after infection. However, some people may experience “Acute retroviral syndrome” 1-6 weeks after the HIV infection has happened. Symptoms of this syndrome are:

• fever
  • rash
  • joint pains
  • enlarged lymph nodes

Whether or not HIV infection causes initial symptoms, an HIV-infected person is highly infectious during this initial period and can transmit the virus to another person. The only way to determine whether HIV is present in a person's body is by testing for HIV antibodies or for HIV itself.

When does a person have AIDS?

The term AIDS applies to the most advanced stages of HIV infection. It is defined by the existence of more than 20 opportunistic infections or HIV-related cancers.

How quickly do people infected with HIV develop AIDS?

The length of time can vary widely between individuals. The majority of people infected with HIV, if not treated, develop signs of HIV-related illness within 5-10 years, but the time between infection with HIV and being diagnosed with AIDS can be 10–15 years, sometimes longer.

Day 1: #UNSLCD (15:00)

Voting has been complete! Andres & Kelly have been elected Chairperson and Vice Chairperson respectively. Facilitators, Discussion Monitors, and Sub-theme editors are being appointed, and the final touches are being made for the Video conference on Monday, March 3, 2014. Use #UNSLC...

The girl child - Rape!

Rape- is a word which is supposed to be wiped out of existence. Most girls in the rural and urban ar...

Story of Parina Subba Limbu, Founder of Dristi Nepal

What is Dristi Nepal ? Women are fighting for their rights and respectful existence here. The...

Boys and Girls- Spread the Message!

I have come to realize that sex before an affair or marriage is needed to light the torch of courtsh...

Ready Willing and Able Documentary

Ready, Willing and Able is a social documentary project started in February 2012 in Kathmandu, Nep...

Sky not the Limit

'At a tender age of 20, he has achieved so much not only for himself, but for the country as well....

The Future World is in Children’s Hands

What do children need the most?? Love, respect, to play, to have fun, to be seen, to be listen...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Be your own leader, and believe in that lead...

From January 13th to 17th, the 4th Pan-African Youth Leadership Summit was held in Dakar (Senegal)...

2014--The Promising Road Ahead

The Pope has spoken about 2014. He calls for change, peace and unity across the planet. In my opin...

"2013 was a real test of the global humanitarian system, and there is no in...

Source: http://www.dw.de/un-issues-2014-appeal-to-tackle-global-humanitarian-crisis/a-17...

UN issues 2014 appeal to tackle global humanitarian crisis

The UN's humanitarian chief Valerie Amos has warned of an unprecedented global crisis in 2014. She called for increased support for millions displaced by conflict and natural disasters. Valerie Amos warned Thursday that millions at the beginning of 2014 were facing severe hardship either as int...