Learn More About HIV and AIDS

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

What is HIV?

HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus attacks cells in your body that fight off infection and keep the body healthy. When HIV has damaged the immune system, someone is said to have AIDS, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome. As HIV takes hold the body produces antibodies in an attempt to fight the virus.

What is AIDS?

AIDS stands for 'acquired immunodeficiency syndrome' and is a surveillance definition based on signs, symptoms, infections, and cancers associated with the deficiency of the immune system that stems from infection with HIV.

What are the symptoms of HIV?

Most people infected with HIV do not know that they have become infected, because they do not feel ill immediately after infection. However, some people may experience “Acute retroviral syndrome” 1-6 weeks after the HIV infection has happened. Symptoms of this syndrome are:

· fever

· rash

· joint pains

· enlarged lymph nodes

Whether or not HIV infection causes initial symptoms, an HIV-infected person is highly infectious during this initial period and can transmit the virus to another person. The only way to determine whether HIV is present in a person's body is by testing for HIV antibodies or for HIV itself.

When does a person have AIDS?

The term AIDS applies to the most advanced stages of HIV infection. It is defined by the existence of more than 20 opportunistic infections or HIV-related cancers.

How quickly do people infected with HIV develop AIDS?

The length of time can vary widely between individuals. The majority of people infected with HIV, if not treated, develop signs of HIV-related illness within 5-10 years, but the time between infection with HIV and being diagnosed with AIDS can be 10–15 years, sometimes longer.

Saving Alice and Alicia.

Written by Ajoke Adebisi. In September, 2000, the member states of the United Nations made a p...

Christian Girls in a Sexy World

Coupled with the buzz of religious norms, the relationship with sexual health and development in most parts of the world - girls are a major entity. There are huge barriers raising the heights against change due to religious tenets and other viral misconceptions of girls sexual health by uneducated...

Positive Deviance

Positive Deviance is based on the observation that in every community there are certain individual...

World Summit Youth Award 2014

YOUNG DIGITAL POWER 4 SOCIAL GOOD An international contest for a global change. Promoting digita...

The Standard Of "Sexual Health" In Nigeria

The issue of sexual health has been a heart-ache in the domain of growth and its fundamental right....

Have your say in the fight against HIV!

What would you say if you had the chance to tell the leaders in the fight against HIV anything you...

LETS DISCIPLINE OURSELVES

YOUTH SELF DISCPLINE IS NEEDED Change is a matter of choice and it should be desired. You cannot...

What are the causes of the increase in prostitution rates in Kabwe?

Prostitution as a whole has become a serious draw back in the development of the country; this is...

Quest for Internet Access at Luanshya Secondary School

The internet has become part of our everyday life because of its ease access and diversity. Today,...

Is sex just a social union?

Many a time, I have tried to survey and parry the questioning effect on sex and its constituents. I believe it is a redefined commitment entitled to both parties (man & woman) on a divine standard. The world we live in today defines sex as a 'social commitment', which is a taboo to fundamental n...