The Big Picture

For nearly three decades, HIV and AIDS have had very damaging effects on individual, families, communities and countries. Still, in recent years the world has seen some progress. There has been a reduction in the number of people that become infected with HIV each year, and the development of safe and effective drugs help millions of people living with HIV to have longer and healthier lives.

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON HIV & AIDS - TAKE OUR QUIZ

However, there is still a lot that needs to be done. Many young people do not have access to information and services that can help prevent the spread of HIV, and many programs do not reach the young people that are most affected by the disease.

Young girls are especially affected

For a variety of reasons – cultural, political and economic – some young people are more vulnerable to infection than others. For example, girls are at higher risk in some parts of the world. This is partly because girls are more likely to be pressured into having sex and less likely to be able to control with whom, when and how they have sex. Also, social attitudes to sex and sex education may make it more difficult for girls to get the information they need to protect themselves from infection.

Other young people are likely to be infected with HIV because they inject drugs (sharing unsterilized needles is a common route for infection). They may also be more at risk because they are poor or homeless, which makes them more vulnerable to exploitation and abuse.

Young people need access to safe and friendly services

Many young people choose not to seek support because they are worried that they will be judged by adults or health workers. For example, young injecting drug users and young people involved in commercial sex might avoid seeking support because their activities are considered illegal. Young people from sexual minorities, such as men who have sex with men, might worry about the stigma they could face if they talk about their sexual identity. Therefore it is important that all young people have access to non-judgmental and friendly services where they can be anonymous and be treated with care and respect .

The way forward

We all have a part to play in fighting the HIV and AIDS crisis. First and foremost we must make sure everyone has accurate information about how the virus is spread and how they can protect themselves. Making sure everyone can develop the skills and self-confidence to keep safe in difficult situations is also critical, as is having access to services, such as counselling, treatment and HIV testing. And all adults – guardians and official leaders – must do everything they can to make sure our communities are safe and young people are supported.

Photo: Young people participe in India’s Red Ribbon Club programme for HIV prevention walk in Chandrapur District, Maharashtra. The club is a voluntary forum for providing HIV information in villages. © UNICEF/INDA2011-00068/Crouch

Will Innovations Solve Africa's Pressing Challenges?

As you may be aware one of the great things about social media is its reach and, as we saw from th...

Our Responsibility Towards HIV+ Persons

Stigma and discrimination related to HIV/AIDS are almost as old as the pandemic itself and regrett...

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/10624437_609855422469193_1273127250_n.jpg

Source: http://instagram.com/red?modal=true

When a movie gives you a motivation.

In a previous article, I wrote about AIDS, including three movies about AIDS, homosexuality and...

.. YoUtH ..

Please read this. I 've watched this speech in English and I love so much this text that I want to share with all of youthvoices.. If you want to see the amazing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHE_XGtUNx4 but you can read : Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for t...

Inspiring profile: "Not everyone can do everything but everyone can do...

Hello Everyone! I´m pleased to introduce this inspiring profile, I hope you enjoy it and share yo...

When is it your right to have access to contraceptives? 18 or when you...

The debate about when adolescents should have access to contraceptives has been discussed for years and we have created a strategy that is full of flaws. Currently it is believed that a person at the age of 14 can be sexually active but they can only gain access to contraceptives at the...

The AIDS crisis,the ''Dallas Buyers Club'' and ''the Normal Heart(s)''...

Let's talk about AIDS. Who has not heard about it? Unfortunately, this pandemic has been a par...

Your Health; Your Responsibility

The theme in the Seychelles for health is “your health, your responsibility.” The health care system in the Seychelles caters for access to health care for everyone. The largest proportion of the government’s budget is given to the Ministry of Health to cater for the health care of the...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...