The Big Picture

An HIV-positive woman, a baby at her back, stands in a Buddhist temple in Ruili City, Yunnan Province. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0786/Liu Jerry

For nearly three decades, HIV and AIDS have had very damaging effects on individual, families, communities and countries. Still, in recent years the world has seen some progress. There has been a reduction in the number of people that become infected with HIV each year, and the development of safe and effective drugs help millions of people living with HIV to have longer and healthier lives.

However, there is still a lot that needs to be done. Many young people do not have access to information and services that can help prevent the spread of HIV, and many programs do not reach the young people that are most affected by the disease.

Young girls are especially affected 

For a variety of reasons – cultural, political and economic – some young people are more vulnerable to infection than others. For example, girls are at higher risk in some parts of the world. This is partly because girls are more likely to be pressured into having sex and less likely to be able to control with whom, when and how they have sex. Also, social attitudes to sex and sex education may make it more difficult for girls to get the information they need to protect themselves from infection.

Other young people are likely to be infected with HIV because they inject drugs (sharing unsterilized needles is a common route for infection). They may also be more at risk because they are poor or homeless, which makes them more vulnerable to exploitation and abuse.

Young people need access to safe and friendly services 

Many young people choose not to seek support because they are worried that they will be judged by adults or health workers. For example, young injecting drug users and young people involved in commercial sex might avoid seeking support because their activities are considered illegal. Young people from sexual minorities, such as men who have sex with men, might worry about the stigma they could face if they talk about their sexual identity. Therefore it is important that all young people have access to non-judgmental and friendly services where they can be anonymous and be treated with care and respect .

The way forward 

We all have a part to play in fighting the HIV and AIDS crisis. First and foremost we must make sure everyone has accurate information about how the virus is spread and how they can protect themselves. Making sure everyone can develop the skills and self-confidence to keep safe in difficult situations is also critical, as is having access to services, such as counselling, treatment and HIV testing. And all adults – guardians and official leaders – must do everything they can to make sure our communities are safe and young people are supported.

The Future World is in Children’s Hands

What do children need the most?? Love, respect, to play, to have fun, to be seen, to be listen...

Voices of Youth Inspire! "Be your own leader, and believe in that lead...

From January 13th to 17th, the 4th Pan-African Youth Leadership Summit was held in Dakar (Senegal)...

2014--The Promising Road Ahead

The Pope has spoken about 2014. He calls for change, peace and unity across the planet. In my opin...

"2013 was a real test of the global humanitarian system, and there is no in...

Source: http://www.dw.de/un-issues-2014-appeal-to-tackle-global-humanitarian-crisis/a-17...

UN issues 2014 appeal to tackle global humanitarian crisis

The UN's humanitarian chief Valerie Amos has warned of an unprecedented global crisis in 2014. She called for increased support for millions displaced by conflict and natural disasters. Valerie Amos warned Thursday that millions at the beginning of 2014 were facing severe hardship either as int...

“Now imagine this continuing for generation after generation”

This is the video after the other one I posted. Just think of what a girl can do when she has the...

Girl power

Just think about it.

Sunitha Krishnan – Anti-trafficking crusader!

I got to know Dr. Sunitha Krishnan when I was researching human trafficking and measures to preven...

The world is broken and I still love her

What is happening in the world? A poet once said "my mother has got syphilis, but I still love...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/do-condoms-encourage-young

Do condoms encourage young people to have sex more often?

After attending a discussion on whether condoms encourage young people to have sex more often at t...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/the-challenges-sex-workers

The challenges sex workers face in protecting themselves against HIV a...

Patience is a sex worker from Zimbabwe. She shared some of the challenges sex workers face in prot...