Child Rights

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.
A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.
The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.
Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Having Natural Hair in Africa

The look of the hair on my head is the look of a wool. The texture is course. But surprisingly I a...

RELIGION, RADICALISM & TERRORISM - Two Parallels and a Bridge

Religion is a form of organized belief or ideology that guides a group of people. Religion is as o...

Is there any value in unpaid internships?

The recent Voices of Youth debates are dedicated to theme of internship. And the topic exactly sou...

More to the Situation than "Je Suis Charlie"

Like you probably heard, there was a terrible, cruel attack in Paris. We talked about it in my Fre...

2014 - a year of mixed feelings -We are the last generation that can f...

Hello friends, 2014 to me was a great year except for the fact that the happenings around my environment where not very pleasant to me. It was a year greeted with mixed feelings a lot happened all around the world, But in My country Nigeria, it was a year of joy and celebration to some b...

Dream Your Life Away

Ever since I was very young I wanted to do something larger than life. It all started with wanting to build tree houses, draw huge murals (on my wall, with finger paint) and write stories rather than play on the Gamecube or my Gameboy. Even at this young age, I wasn't complacent with being "...

Under the snow; we freeze !

Freezing under the Snow. Still, I will grow. I may be a coal Still, I have a soul Th...

Football, More than just a game

As we are on the verge of seeing a real change in Mauritian Football, let’s revert back and refl...

when I was BULLED at school

When I was young, my mom kissed me 365days, subtracted by the weekends of not being bullied, only...