Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

An Angry Black Youth

This video is in honor of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, and all of the B...

"We are the world"...every day.

"We are the world, We are the children, We are the ones who make a brighter day So,let's start...

Restoring the hope of slum children through education

Right in the heart of Korogocho slum,one of the largest slums in Nariobi,Kenya sits a small comple...

Am Black and Proud...

Am black and proud am glad to be black no matter d tribes they can never steal my pride...

Reason behind terrorist mentality

If you look ,the reason behind terrorism always related to the religion.No one consider this main...

Child Labor in India

Did you know that India has the largest amount of child laborers in the world? Human Rights Watch states, “More children in India work than anywhere else in the world”. There are 100-150 million children from ages 5 to 14 working, and nearly half of those children (at least 44 million) a...

Child Labor in China

Did you know that according to the China Labour Bulletin, in 2000, there were approximately 11,575,000 children at work between the ages of 10 to 14 in China? This violates article 32 of the Convention of Rights of The Child, which states, “You have the right to protection from work that h...

Child Labor In Indonesia

In Indonesia there are 3.2 million children working, doing the worst kinds of labor. The Indonesian government has done little to tackle this problem. They have set up laws that say all children must finish high school but many families lack the money to do so. The children decide to go to w...

Child Sexual Abuse In The USA

Child sexual abuse in the United States of America has decreased greatly because of UNICEF’s tre...

Ghana Child Mining problem

I am a student from a school in Jakarta called Jakarta Intercultural School, and my name is Patrick. I am writing this letter in the hopes of bringing a certain problem to attention. The problem at hand are the current situations where children are forced to work in the mines, for whatever c...