Child Rights

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.
A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.
The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.
Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

What do you love?

We all encounter hardships in life, and sometimes it takes a long time to rise up, and overcome th...

My Voices of Youth Blogging Internship

As a young person and advocate Ive always liked looking for actions to take and opportunities to s...

All they need is a SMILE. :)

Recently I had the opportunity to join a community service project organised by the Rotaract Club...

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN: Is Being Female A Crime?

Many girls and women alike are being violated globally on grounds of their gender,culture, class,...

ABORTION, AN UNENDING CONTROVERSY; HAVE YOUR SAY

Many see it as legal, others see it as illegal but the bottom line is that it has been an age-long...

Plural+ Awards 2014: "Deepening Community"

Interview with Michael, William, Mathew and Nathan, four young filmmakers from Canada. 1. What...

How We Should Live.

It is easy for us to blame our defeats and misfortune on others. We tend to criticize people witho...

Equality

I believe in equality. Equality in its absolute purest way. Because if we break it down to the b...

Girls Empowerment

Although half of the total population of the world is composed of females, females are lagging far behind than males. Mostly gender inequality contributes to the backward position of females because it is gender inequality that causes lack of education, malnutrition, early marriage, trafficking of g...

In the Worst Year of Child Rights

According to UNICEF Report, 2014, the year 2014 is declared as the worst year for child rights. According to the report, globally 230 million children live in the countries & areas torn by armed conflicts. Children are facing war, violence, atrocities & violence. They are killed, orphaned, k...