Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

The word feminist

Over time the word feminist has gained a different definition in many people's eyes. Some think feminism means man hating, but the definition in Merriam- Webster Dictionary is "the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities". That is saying we do not...

Talking About A Revolution Currently Does Sound Like A Whisper

3 days ago I was having a conversation with 2 friends(A and B); and in typical gossip fashion, a particular guy's name pops up... friend A blurts out that she found out he was gay from another friend; then friend B says she had a feeling he was. She went on to say (friend B), that it's very...

You Are A Miracle

MIRACLES! How many people did you touch today? How many people did your eyes see today?...

Police Brutality in New york

In recent years there has been an increase in cases pertaining to police brutality and the mistreatment of citizens of color and of particular descent. This shines a light upon the social standards of today and the morals of the men and women that protect our streets and neighborhoods. These...

This Should Be the Norm

Imagine: you're sitting in first period when you realize that you really have to pee. Your teacher...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10604691_10152750727419002_2884826097121166830_o.jpg

Source: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10604691_10152750...

25 years of children's rights

Next Thursday, 20 November 2014, marks the 25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the C...

Human Rights in 2014

Human Rights are the principles that should be guaranteed to every person regardless of sex, age, income level, or race. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was ratified on December 16, 1949 by the UN, after the atrocities committed during World War II. It was the first global e...

Minimum Wage

A minimum wage is an hourly wage rate that is set by law. As of early 2010, the minimum wage in th...

Youth (un)employment

Employment is an essential topic in public policy because for many a job is much more than a salar...

A Lack of Cultural Understanding

With the international tensions that are going on these days, I feel the need to write this article. These days, I feel like people pay more attention to politics a little more than culture. People pay more attention to any governments' bad actions, thinking that it reflects people's beliefs. Peopl...