Child Rights

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.
A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.
The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.
Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Part 2 - Support Hashtag Movement

Hello all- I posted about a week ago describing a social media campaign to raise support for a...

Ubuntu...What is it?

It has been a philosophy and a living concept that shaped human relations across hundreds of years, but many people are beginning to question ubuntu...asking, "What is it really? Is it alive today? We hear reflections from the youth on the streets of Cape Town, South Africa.

Youth Assembly at the United Nations: Time to Unite Youth!

Once again, I was honored to join hands together with my young leaders in organizing an incredible...

They bullied us, now we are stronger !

My parents had me after eight years of marriage; I was their first child and you can imagine what...

SHOULD FREEDOM OF PRESS/SPEECH BE ABUSED?

Freedom of Speech or Free Speech as called by many is a basic human right as recognized by the Uni...

Deah/Razon/Yusor Support

Hello- I'm just finishing the Physical Therapy program at Elon University, and would just like to sa...

World Radio Day - Portrait 2

Radio is a very active media, even the poor can afford it. Join Neema Charles Mchachu, a Tanzanian young reporter, and her story about the impact of radio on her life.

World Radio Day - Portrait 1

Higness Daniel is a Tanzanian young reporter who sees radio as a great opportunity for children to share about their feelings and rights in solving their challenges.

World Radio Day

Meet Young Tanzanian reporters in the hot discussion about the benefits of radio to their lives. They are so excited to celebrate #WorldRadioDay...Happy Radio Day everyone! Check out two more short portraits below: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/world-radio-day---portrait-1...

Who Guide The Guides?

Who guides the body of bodyguards? Who keeps vigilant watch on the vigilantes? Who polices the a...