Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Let’s Invest in Young Girls Now

Today, the whole world is celebrating International Day of the Girl Child. This year’s theme is...

Say NO to violence against women

A woman is a human being who can be your mother, sister, child, aunt, cousin, grandmother, employe...

Gender Inequality

Gender equality In the course of recent history, a growing problem has plagued the world and has also gone unnoticed to all except those who must endure it. One may think that it is the rise of terrorist networks or perhaps the surge of diseases, however this one problem in particular is...

Where do you stand?

Many are cognizant of the fact that the battle for equal treatment of the sexes has still not been...

Blind teacher continues to beat odds

The first cry by a newborn baby usually signals a successful delivery. But to Martha Munjuri, it w...

The virtue of finding beauty in the midst of chaos

It is hard to believe that one of the most unequal countries in the world according to the Gini in...

Tolerance, mutual respect - together united for a shared future

On the occasion of the International day of tolerance -16th November 2014- I pondered on the importance of tolerance. Tolerance is of great value and one I feel young people should promote. Having been brought up in a household where my mother, father and grand mother all shared different re...

Make A Change & Take Action

God never changes a condition of a people until they first change themselves. Some of us go to church every week, go to the Mosque every week, and that's all we do. Week after week, we sit in our seats, clap, bear witness, and shout hallelujah, and go home in the same condition we left in. F...

Human Rights Violations--Seriously??

I am a student in an International Baccalaureate high school in the United States. In my IB Spanis...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-buISbJqb8aE/U9Y1wmt1NgI/AAAAAAAAEW0/NOY5LXey7Hk/s1600/VICTIMS.png

Source: http://philanilegacy.blogspot.com/2014/07/victims.html

VICTIMS

"I dedicate this to all refugees and war victims in Africa. Especially for young Africans displace...