Child Rights

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.
A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.
The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.
Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 1)

Cancer is a neoplastic disease that affects the following parts of the human body: Colon, Liver, C...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 2)

Female Genital Mutilation has no health benefits, rather it has a couple of severe immediate effec...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 1)

Female Genital Mutilation refers to any procedure that intentionally alters or causes injury to th...

Success is a Journey, Not a Destination

If you ask anyone whether they want to succeed in their life, the most common answer would be “W...

5 Questions with 15-year-old science champ Kpakpando Akaeze

Meet Kpakpando Akaeze, a 15 year-old high school student from Lagos, Nigeria. You may have heard of her when news spread around the world about a group of girls from Nigeria who designed a urine powered generator. Kpakpando's hobbies include traveling and conducting experiments. In January 2015, she...

Q&A with 16-year-old filmmaker from Albania

Greis Osmani is a 16-year-old girl from Albania, and recently took part in a One Minutes Jr. workshop in her country. She created a thought-provoking video about youth culture, poverty, and how we all fit into that. We asked her a couple of questions about the video: What is your vi...

Discipline Does Not Equal Abuse?

My friend 'Ken' had been telling my friends and me in a group chat on Facebook that he was worried showing his report card to his parents. We brushed this off considering that usually teens are often afraid of showing their report cards to their parents. He said to us very casually that he g...

BIRTH CONTROL: China’s One Child Policy

Today my attention has been tied to the one child policy in CHINA. As I read one article after ano...

Fix Society - Transgender People and HIV/AIDs

5:30 PM on December 28th 2014, a scheduled post hit tumblr saying “Either I live the rest of my...

Let's take a stand against unethical businesses

If you found out that a brand you love, or a company you buy from all the time, is guilty of child labour or pollution, what would you do? That's the question we asked a group of young people on Voices of Youth, in collaboration with the Guardian Sustainable Business to find out what you...