Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

The Wrong Kind of Different

Today is modern to be different. Different from the crowd, to stand out, to be unique in a way. In...

The Question of Abortion

“No woman can call herself free who does not control her own body.” - Margaret Sanger The...

Gender-Based Violence in Europe

As a young woman in Ireland, it is discouraged to stand up against sexist/sexual jokes, even if th...

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone! I am so excited about blogging on VOY and seeing as this is my first post, I thoug...

Don´t be silly

Hello guys! Today there is something very special I want to talk about DON’T BE SILLY! Many thin...

"'It is not enough to tell people that FGM is illegal,' says FGM...

Source: http://www.girleffect.org/news/2014/02/zero-tolerance-to-fgm-2014/

5 Ways Young People Can Help End FGM

When we hear about organizations working towards a change for the better, we think that we cannot do anything to help because we lack the money, time, resources, or power to do anything significant. However, I have realized that simply being aware of these issues and being able to communicat...

Taking action to bring about change, a group of media nomads took the initiative...

Source: http://bit.ly/1tGwikW

From community mapping to postive change

The Million Dollar Question

To me, the image that immediately accompanies the word ‘millionaire’ is that scene in a Duck T...

Should the needle exchange programme be implemented in the Seychelles

An island treasure in the ocean has not been able to escape the rampant drug trade haunting the wo...

The right to express yourself

Everyone has the right to express his or herself. Break the chain and stand up for your right when i...