Child Rights

Ludnie Cherlande Audat (centre) plays a clapping game with other girls in Centre d’Action pour le Developpement, a transit centre for children without parental care in Ganthier, town outside Port-au-Prince. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2626/Roger LeMoyne

What is the Convention on the Rights of the Child?

It has only been since 20 November 1989, when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) that the world has benefited from one set of legal rights for all children and young people. Today, 193 States parties have ratified the Convention, making it the most widely ratified human rights agreement in the world.

A convention such as this is an agreement between people or countries where everyone agrees to follow the same law. The CRC spells out the range of rights to which children everywhere are entitled. It sets basic standards for children’s well-being at different stages of their development and is the first universal, legally binding code of child rights in history.

The Convention states that everyone under the age of 18 (the definition of a child), regardless of gender, origin, religion or possible disabilities, needs special care and protection because children are often the most vulnerable.

Although the Convention has 54 articles in all, it is guided by four fundamental principles:
  • Non-discrimination (article 2): You should neither benefit nor suffer because of your race, colour, gender, language, religion, or national, social or ethnic origin, or because of any political or other opinion; because of your caste, property or birth status; or because you are disabled.
  • The best interests of the child (article 3): Laws and actions affecting children should put your best interests first and benefit you in the best possible way.
  • Survival, development and protection (article 6): The authorities in your country must protect you and help ensure your full development – physical, spiritual, moral and social.
  • Participation (article 12): You have a right to have your say in decisions that affect you, and to have you opinions taken into account.

These are your rights.

Inspiring profile: "Not everyone can do everything but everyone can do...

Hello Everyone! I´m pleased to introduce this inspiring profile, I hope you enjoy it and share yo...

Forgiving Terrorism

I grew up with a war. So did another 6 million Sri Lankan children of my generation. Just like mos...

Bring all the ignited minds around to the same page and channel their energies t...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Womens-Rights/736611809720222

Women's rights and Human rights

All, Please help me to promote my page if you like my posts by sharing and contributing to it. Also please provide your valuable suggestions on how to connect more people , bring the constructive discussion on the topic and engage society for change. Kriti

What has recently marked me as an ambitious individual and as a young...

Bonjour! :) I have been quite busy physically, morally and psychologically with numerous events oc...

Call for pictures - International Day of Peace. Support Central Africa...

This is a message from Baba Mahamat, francophone young blogger from CAR: CAR (Central African...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/childrensradiofoundation/radio-workshop-bongeziwe

Radio Workshop

Born in the rural village of Tsolo in the Eastern Cape South Africa, Bongeziwe Mabandla's love and...

There is no "honor" in rape!

"Sometimes right, Sometimes wrong", "Boys are boys will make the mistake", "Just for a MINOR crime, you want us to hang the BOY" - these are the replies given by the elders when told about the most odious crime of their boys. Despite of knowing that their "future" has put hands on someone's...

My participation in the ICGLR Heads of State Summit on promoting youth...

After being elected as one of the Ambassadors for the Great Lakes Region children’s Hope Forum i...

Bujumbura by Bus – A Long Walk To Peace!

The Great Lakes region has been the scene of recurring wars. It is important to show this long path...

What Do You Expect From Education?

Consistently you would espouse that this is the revolutionary time period of education as society...