Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

World Radio Day

Meet Young Tanzanian reporters in the hot discussion about the benefits of radio to their lives. They are so excited to celebrate #WorldRadioDay...Happy Radio Day everyone! Check out two more short portraits below: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/world-radio-day---portrait-1...

Who Guide The Guides?

Who guides the body of bodyguards? Who keeps vigilant watch on the vigilantes? Who polices the a...

Addressing the Rights and Protection for Women and Children in the Isr...

Introduction For decades Israel and Palestine has been fighting over Gaza, declaring their “...

Illiteracy: A Curse on Development

The United Nations defines illiteracy as “the inability to read and write a simple message in an...

United Nations ECOSOC Youth Forum 2015

The United Nations ECOSOC Youth Forum 2015 was held from 2-3 February 2015 at United Nations Headq...

Love Is Love

Interview with Tea Hodaj, a young filmmaker from Albania. What is your video about? My video is about love. Since we all have a different concept of love, but we all manifest it somehow in the same way, I want to show a “different” kind of love and its compliance with the massive c...

BE POSITIVE AND LIVE RIGHT

Hi guys, True happiness comes about when you know you are doing the right thing for the right course. I have been volunteering as a Scout Trainer and a mentor since 2012 to date, I feel good whenever I am training and mentoring the youthful generation knowing that am touching somebody`...

Effectiveness of Body Cameras

I read this interesting article in Time magazine where the author stopped to compare the year of 2...

What would I want to change?

HIV activists from Asia and the Pacific talk about their lives and the challenges they and others faced as adolescents. They are then asked "what would you like to change?" about HIV policies, offering an insight into the challenges thousands of adolescents face across the region.

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 2)

In the preceding part of this post, I gave a synopsis of what cancer is, parts of the body that co...