Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

"HUMANITY" AN AFRICAN EXPRESSION

Humanity! Ubuntu! Bantu!anthu!abantu! All but words that have the same meaning in linguistic nature. Humanity! A symbol that once kept Africa united and saw people come together to fight a common era. Ubuntu! We came from all corners of the diaspora and fought a common era - slavery....

What matters most to youth? Part 2

Have you had an experience that upended your views or enlightened your view concerning certain iss...

They say : "Poverty is the cause of crime"

"Poverty is the cause of crime". This statement is usually used for the defense of the poor people, but which justifies the preference of previous suspicions that the police have. These foundations are based on the assumption that the poor people act by crime to survive. But in reality it is...

Anywhere you can make the difference :)

To help others, it is not necessary to leave the country or go further away from where you live. There are places, community centers where you can make a difference in the smallest ways. In September, I will help people with reduced motor skills in Fatima. I decided to volunteer with a fri...

Act or accept, Young people Take action!

Hi everyone! Current societies run faster than ever, that´s why new things are more desired a...

Photography for storytelling

I had the pleasure of attending an event organised by UNICEF Sri Lanka today. I did a photo-post e...

The life-changing gifts I received during my first intense ‘Week-End...

Hola amigos! :) First, I apologise for my 2 weeks of absence. I’m slowly getting back on tra...

Extremism and its causes, a real threat!

" All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and...

You are beautiful...

Dear girl, dear woman, I will begin with this; you are beautiful. You are gorgeous and no one...

Gender-Equality, and a Conversation with the UN SRSG-SVC

On Monday, Youth to End Sexual Violence was at the United Nations to advocate for the development...