Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

A message from a concerned citizen!

I once said: “Dans l'histoire des grandes nations, y a de bons temps et y a de mauvais temps, y...

Dignity

I saw him on my way back from college. A lean adolescent swaying back and forth as the tides of fear lolled him with a lullaby only he can hear. A small black coconut shell was seated next to him with a few coins and wisps of embarrassment in it. I peered into his eyes from where I stood and...

Are children better off now than they were 25 years ago?

Are children better off now than they were 25 years ago? The answer is a resounding yes. The conve...

Characteristics of Good Governance

Participation Participation could be either direct or through legitimate intermediate institutions or representatives. Participation needs to be informed and organized. This means freedom of association and expression on the one hand and an organized civil society on the other hand....

In this focus piece, Youth to End Sexual Violence explores the issue of Female G...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/23/in-focus-female-genital-...

In Focus: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

"My legs were completely numb and the pain between them was so intense. I wished I would die. I felt my poor mother hold me in her arms - my memory ends at this instant until I opened my eyes and the killer woman was gone. I was lying on the ground close to a rock, and my legs were tied together wit...

Advocacy for the Young

They plead that you may for once; Understand them with honest kindness With futile prejudice...

STOP, not in my name!

You must have heard about the awful news of the execution of the French hostage in Algeria a coupl...

Youth Participation: What We Need

Recently I have had the opportunity to chair 2 or 3 events (in Morocco) which deal with youth and...

What do you want to be in the future? A Career woman or a housewife?

It’s been 4 months since the last time I posted my article on VOY. I’ve been feeling too busy...

Youth voices must be heard in Kurdistan Region

When the current leaders of Kurdistan get older and die… Who will lead? In the 21st century the power that is leading the world is youth's, but in Kurdistan it's Old’s. Whether it is good or bad, is a different story. The first independent Kurdish Government was declared in 1992 an...