Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

What is real?

Judge me after this; I do unconsciously admit I do not worship any form of deity, however let...

What do you love?

We all encounter hardships in life, and sometimes it takes a long time to rise up, and overcome th...

My Voices of Youth Blogging Internship

As a young person and advocate Ive always liked looking for actions to take and opportunities to s...

All they need is a SMILE. :)

Recently I had the opportunity to join a community service project organised by the Rotaract Club...

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN: Is Being Female A Crime?

Many girls and women alike are being violated globally on grounds of their gender,culture, class,...

ABORTION, AN UNENDING CONTROVERSY; HAVE YOUR SAY

Many see it as legal, others see it as illegal but the bottom line is that it has been an age-long...

Plural+ Awards 2014: "Deepening Community"

Interview with Michael, William, Mathew and Nathan, four young filmmakers from Canada. 1. What...

How We Should Live.

It is easy for us to blame our defeats and misfortune on others. We tend to criticize people witho...

Equality

I believe in equality. Equality in its absolute purest way. Because if we break it down to the b...

Girls Empowerment

Although half of the total population of the world is composed of females, females are lagging far behind than males. Mostly gender inequality contributes to the backward position of females because it is gender inequality that causes lack of education, malnutrition, early marriage, trafficking of g...