Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

Our continuous journey of change

My name is Kaltun, I am an 18 year old who has just completed her A-Levels. I have been a member of Empowering, and so I have been advocating against FGM, for 3 years. Our work ranges from an interactive teaching resource to publishing poems to being part of the Guardian Campaign. She is...

Empowered communities, collective choices

Every delivery of The Somali mother has been agonizing: the third ended in miscarriage and subsequen...

Ending FGM - "Young People need to be involved on a policy level and a...

We had the pleasure of talking to Leyla Hussain, the co-founder of the charity Daughters of Eve. Daughters of Eve works to protect young girls and women who are at risk of female genital mutilation (FGM). She is also the Chief Executive of Hawa's Haven, a collective of Somali women campaig...

Islam and the West By Lisa DePasquale

Islam, a faith that is so similar to Christianity yet so different has left many confused yet it i...

Global Survey on Youth

This is an open invitation to the youth of the world. Being a youth activist from Sri Lanka, I have always been passionate about contemporary issues faced by youth. In view of this I took part as a delegate at World Conference on Youth 2014, where I was able to get in touch with youth acti...

Don't Abuse Me! Use Me!

A Child is a person below the legal age of 18 years, as stipulated by the laws of Zambia. By virtue of been human children are entitled to rights which are known as child rights. It is unfortunate that despite Zambia been a signatory to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Ch...

The Wrong Kind of Different

Today is modern to be different. Different from the crowd, to stand out, to be unique in a way. In...

The Question of Abortion

“No woman can call herself free who does not control her own body.” - Margaret Sanger The...

Gender-Based Violence in Europe

As a young woman in Ireland, it is discouraged to stand up against sexist/sexual jokes, even if th...

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone! I am so excited about blogging on VOY and seeing as this is my first post, I thoug...