Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

The word feminist

Over time the word feminist has gained a different definition in many people's eyes. Some think feminism means man hating, but the definition in Merriam- Webster Dictionary is "the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities". That is saying we do not...

Talking About A Revolution Currently Does Sound Like A Whisper

3 days ago I was having a conversation with 2 friends(A and B); and in typical gossip fashion, a particular guy's name pops up... friend A blurts out that she found out he was gay from another friend; then friend B says she had a feeling he was. She went on to say (friend B), that it's very...

You Are A Miracle

MIRACLES! How many people did you touch today? How many people did your eyes see today?...

Police Brutality in New york

In recent years there has been an increase in cases pertaining to police brutality and the mistreatment of citizens of color and of particular descent. This shines a light upon the social standards of today and the morals of the men and women that protect our streets and neighborhoods. These...

This Should Be the Norm

Imagine: you're sitting in first period when you realize that you really have to pee. Your teacher...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10604691_10152750727419002_2884826097121166830_o.jpg

Source: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10604691_10152750...

25 years of children's rights

Next Thursday, 20 November 2014, marks the 25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the C...

Human Rights in 2014

Human Rights are the principles that should be guaranteed to every person regardless of sex, age, income level, or race. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was ratified on December 16, 1949 by the UN, after the atrocities committed during World War II. It was the first global e...

Minimum Wage

A minimum wage is an hourly wage rate that is set by law. As of early 2010, the minimum wage in th...

Youth (un)employment

Employment is an essential topic in public policy because for many a job is much more than a salar...

A Lack of Cultural Understanding

With the international tensions that are going on these days, I feel the need to write this article. These days, I feel like people pay more attention to politics a little more than culture. People pay more attention to any governments' bad actions, thinking that it reflects people's beliefs. Peopl...