Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 2)

In the preceding part of this post, I gave a synopsis of what cancer is, parts of the body that co...

World Cancer Day 2015: 'Not Beyond Us' (Part 1)

Cancer is a neoplastic disease that affects the following parts of the human body: Colon, Liver, C...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 2)

Female Genital Mutilation has no health benefits, rather it has a couple of severe immediate effec...

Zero Tolerance For Female Genital Mutilation (Part 1)

Female Genital Mutilation refers to any procedure that intentionally alters or causes injury to th...

Success is a Journey, Not a Destination

If you ask anyone whether they want to succeed in their life, the most common answer would be “W...

5 Questions with 15-year-old science champ Kpakpando Akaeze

Meet Kpakpando Akaeze, a 15 year-old high school student from Lagos, Nigeria. You may have heard of her when news spread around the world about a group of girls from Nigeria who designed a urine powered generator. Kpakpando's hobbies include traveling and conducting experiments. In January 2015, she...

Q&A with 16-year-old filmmaker from Albania

Greis Osmani is a 16-year-old girl from Albania, and recently took part in a One Minutes Jr. workshop in her country. She created a thought-provoking video about youth culture, poverty, and how we all fit into that. We asked her a couple of questions about the video: What is your vi...

Discipline Does Not Equal Abuse?

My friend 'Ken' had been telling my friends and me in a group chat on Facebook that he was worried showing his report card to his parents. We brushed this off considering that usually teens are often afraid of showing their report cards to their parents. He said to us very casually that he g...

BIRTH CONTROL: China’s One Child Policy

Today my attention has been tied to the one child policy in CHINA. As I read one article after ano...

Fix Society - Transgender People and HIV/AIDs

5:30 PM on December 28th 2014, a scheduled post hit tumblr saying “Either I live the rest of my...