Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

#TurnThePageOnHateSpeech

#NoHateSpeech ''The world is odd.'' A mystery in the eyes of those who are short sighted... (* well,...

The AIDS crisis,the ''Dallas Buyers Club'' and ''the Normal Heart(s)''...

Let's talk about AIDS. Who has not heard about it? Unfortunately, this pandemic has been a par...

Young People Take Action! - The Road to Rights

Over the years, Sri Lankans have seen several youth movements which support the ongoing developmen...

HOW TO PREVENT FUTURE WARS

War is evil. I Hate War! You Hate War! So many wars are fought everyday resulting in after effects...

Source: http://bit.ly/1AfG6Ae

A Woman's Journey

From a rural South African childhood, through family challenges to becoming a social entrepreneur...

Between opulence and poverty

Hi everyone!, if you´ve read any of my posts you might already know I live in Chile but I am Colo...

Climate Change: More than an Environmental Problem

I recently decided to ask a couple of my fellow climate ambassadors why they really cared about the fight against climate change. Most answers were because they care about the environment or because they want to conserve the environment or even because it was the right thing to do....

What Does Your Society Teach You About Poverty?

Implicit in most discussions of poverty is the notion that inequality is a given, and this has bee...

Source: http://bit.ly/1uDgOKM

Can People Change

The Siviwe Youth reporters in Cape town, share their views and personal testimonies on whether or...

That's it!

First of all, congratulations for all of you. This article is for all the youth voices around the world! :) You are what you want to be! Nothing can stop you, scare and make you change your goals. Sometimes, you feel invincible and infinite. You have ideas and you make your own ide...