Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

Mental Health of Youth

Neither we are child nor are we old Foundations for development, we are gold. We are in prob...

Poem: "Love in Humanity"

We may be born in diversity but we were the part of world society We may live in different countries but we were work for unity Treat each others in security in order for people to get the life of equality Struggle with wholeheartedly To reach our dignity Ac...

Wake up Youth (Poem on social justice)

It time now wake up youth challenges ahead to bridge this divide to work towards...

Democracy turning to Autocracy

Bangladesh is a country that has a long history and sacrifice of millions of Freedom Fighters who...

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...

Issues affecting most local communities in Africa

This is a story I got from one of the youths when I visited South Western Uganda during one of my...

To be or not to be involved… That’s the debate.

Hello everyone, Latin America as you might know is a very violent region and delinquency is the si...

Stop the senseless killing of innocent children

How do you console a child who has become a victim of war? How does one console a child who has...

Gaza: Why the International Community must no longer take a backseat

Traumatised by the daily display on our news-screens I took it upon myself to do the only thing I knew I had the power to do, which is to voice my opinion. Last night, the video portraying a young boy lying lifeless on a hospital bed in Gaza, the doctors opening his limp lids to pupils fixed...

Life is Better as an Optimist

Wherever we might come from, be it African or Asian or American or Australian or European continents, we are all human and in today's era, we are very much caught in the maelstrom of humdrum daily life. Life can thus end up in much negativity. I wrote this article to remind each one of us...