Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

In the Worst Year of Child Rights

According to UNICEF Report, 2014, the year 2014 is declared as the worst year for child rights. According to the report, globally 230 million children live in the countries & areas torn by armed conflicts. Children are facing war, violence, atrocities & violence. They are killed, orphaned, k...

The Power of Virtual Volunteering

While studying for final exams at the Trinity College library in Hartford, Connecticut, USA, I rec...

A Poem for Ebola

This is a poem which I have written for Ebola Awareness. It is a cover of a song too (see note aft...

The freedom and power of thought

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin, more even than death. Thought...

Hijab without the Stereotypes

"Don't you ever feel.... You know.... [hands gesturing around face and neck] like....... You know......

2015 - A New Years Speech.

I will be an optimist about this new year. I won’t be making sure the year leaves, because the...

How music has changed over time

Sometime ago, I sat a few rows behind some much older men on a bus. They were discussing loudly an...

In 2014, I learnt to be myself

Yesterday I was thinking to myself, weighing my options and making decisions for the year ahead. I...

My VOY Blogging Internship

So, this is the last day of 2014. One year, thousands of feelings, events and beautiful people met...

Pregnant at 15

She sits on the brown bench waiting for her turn to see the doctor. The queue is moving fast today, and she is glad because she has to go fetch firewood before it is too late, When it is her turn, she nervously approaches the scale. After the general physical checkup, she heads into the cons...