Disabilities and Rights

On 19 November, two Special Olympics champions join Lady Kristina Moore and UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Sir Roger Moore at a UNICEF-supported sports event for children with disabilities, at Haileybury Almaty School in the city of Almaty. © UNICEF/NYHQ2010-2514/Giacomo Pirozzi

What are disabilities?

A disability is a long-term impairment that may limit participation in society on an equal basis with others. Disabilities can be physical (such as loss of a limb), mental (such as depression), intellectual (such as learning disabilities) or sensory (such as blindness). Disabilities can be temporary or permanent, and some people are born with disabilities, while others become disabled through injuries or accidents.

How do disabilities affect children and young people?

Children and young people with disabilities often face many challenges as a result of their disability. Many do not get a chance to go to school – sometimes because it is difficult or impossible to get to their schools, or sometimes because families and communities do not prioritize education for children and young people with
disabilities.

Even if a person with a disability finishes school, he/she faces more challenges when trying to find a job. Many employers are worried that a person with a disability will not be as productive as other employees, and many workplaces are not equipped so that a person with a disability can function and work to the best of their ability.

Disability is also linked with poverty, both as a cause and a consequence. Many children become disabled as a result of malnutrition and diseases, or they are injured in road accidents and in conflict situations. Young people with disabilities might end up in poverty, or become even poorer, as they cannot find paid employment and have difficulties accessing public services.

Stigma and discrimination are major obstacles 

Children and young people with disabilities are often considered to be a burden to their families and communities, and they might not be expected to be able to learn or develop new skills. It is therefore important to educate everyone about what a disability actually is, and that children and young people with disabilities can be productive members of their communities and societies if they are given a chance.

It’s about ability!

A Testimony on HIV

I was born in 1995, 12 years after the discovery of HIV and five years after infection came to my...

Taking action at 2015....for a better future for everyone!

It seems that 2015 will be a crucial year for the world. This year two UN events will take place. The first one will be in September in New York, where world leaders, after the "Millennium Development Goals" (which were put in 2000), will put a new set of goals, the "Sustainable Development...

Can we really change something...?

Yesterday, I had a talk with someone who, at times, I would call suicidal. He told me he was consi...

Have you ever wondered, “What is my purpose in life?” Lord knows I have. I...

Source: http://hurt2healingmag.com/a-purpose-driven-2014/

A Purpose-Driven [2015]

Have you ever wondered, “What is my purpose in life?” Lord knows I have. I think it’s safe to say that discovering your purpose in life then working towards that purpose is what almost every human being undertakes as a goal. Purpose is what gives our lives meaning. So, how do you know...

Women's rights, freedom and religion in the MENA region (2)

In the previous post, we talked a little about freedom of women in a patriarchal society and I fin...

Women's rights, freedom and religion in the MENA region (1)

I talked last time about honor killings in the region of MENA; it’s a critical problem that no o...

Having Natural Hair in Africa

The look of the hair on my head is the look of a wool. The texture is course. But surprisingly I a...

RELIGION, RADICALISM & TERRORISM - Two Parallels and a Bridge

Religion is a form of organized belief or ideology that guides a group of people. Religion is as o...

Is there any value in unpaid internships?

The recent Voices of Youth debates are dedicated to theme of internship. And the topic exactly sou...

More to the Situation than "Je Suis Charlie"

Like you probably heard, there was a terrible, cruel attack in Paris. We talked about it in my Fre...