Gender and Rights

What is the difference between gender and sex?
• ‘Sex’ refers to the biological differences between males and females.
• Gender describes roles, rights and responsibilities that communities and societies consider appropriate for women/girls and men/boys.
Read posts about gender from VOY contributors.

We often talk about gender as a social construct. That means that gender roles are not a ‘natural’ result of biological differences, but are determined by the systems and cultures in which we live. We are born as males and females, but we learn to become girls and boys, men and women, from our families and societies.
These assumptions are what create gender identities and in turn gender-based discrimination and gender inequality. Gender is a fluid concept and often changes over time, as well as from one culture to another. This means that we can address and contribute to changing these roles by challenging the status quo and seeking social change.
How does gender inequality affect girls?
Gender inequalities can impact many different aspects of girl’s lives. While each country and community is different, we can observe the following global trends:
• Girls are less likely than boys to go to school. • Girls are more likely than boys to be married before the age of 18. • Girls are more likely than boys to become infected with HIV. • Girls are more likely than boys to have experienced sexual violence. • Women hold fewer leadership positions both in politics and in the workplace.

Often we see that girls from minority populations and rural areas are especially affected. Gender roles intersect with discrimination based on age, ethnicity, poverty, belonging to indigenous groups, caste, disability and other factors to create ‘double discrimination’ towards girls. We have to address these factors together to reduce discrimination against girls.

Discrimination heightens in adolescence
The discrimination girls face heightens during adolescence (10-19 years old). When we look at programs that typically target children under 10 years old, such as primary education and immunization, the differences between girls and boys are often quite small. But when girls reach adolescence they face a set of new challenges, such as child-domestic labour, child marriage, reproductive health, and sexual violence. The differences between girls and boys in these areas are much greater. So it is important to continue to address the specific needs of girls also when they reach adolescence.
How can we achieve gender equality?
Governments have made commitments to gender equality through ratifying the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and adopting the Beijing Platform for Action. These international frameworks promote the rights of girls and women and what governments must do towards achieving gender equality.
However, governments also need to make sure that standards and laws that protect the rights of girls and women are enforced. This is not always the case, and we need to continue to advocate with governments to play their part and support girls and women through laws and policies.
It is also important to change existing stereotypes and behaviours among all members of society who do not fully recognize the rights of girls and women. That can be difficult and involves challenging long-standing beliefs and attitudes in a community. But it is only when all girls and women are respected as equals that we can achieve gender equality.
Boys for gender equality
Gender equality can only be achieved by working on both sides of the equation – with girls and women and with boys and men. It is important to make boys aware of the effects of discrimination against girls and include them in developing responses and solutions.

The Power of Virtual Volunteering

While studying for final exams at the Trinity College library in Hartford, Connecticut, USA, I rec...

A Poem for Ebola

This is a poem which I have written for Ebola Awareness. It is a cover of a song too (see note aft...

The freedom and power of thought

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin, more even than death. Thought...

Hijab without the Stereotypes

"Don't you ever feel.... You know.... [hands gesturing around face and neck] like....... You know......

2015 - A New Years Speech.

I will be an optimist about this new year. I won’t be making sure the year leaves, because the...

How music has changed over time

Sometime ago, I sat a few rows behind some much older men on a bus. They were discussing loudly an...

In 2014, I learnt to be myself

Yesterday I was thinking to myself, weighing my options and making decisions for the year ahead. I...

My VOY Blogging Internship

So, this is the last day of 2014. One year, thousands of feelings, events and beautiful people met...

Pregnant at 15

She sits on the brown bench waiting for her turn to see the doctor. The queue is moving fast today, and she is glad because she has to go fetch firewood before it is too late, When it is her turn, she nervously approaches the scale. After the general physical checkup, she heads into the cons...

The chance of a restart

The past years I chose not to compile a new years’ resolutions list because I thought it would be quite difficult to stick to it. And a lot could change and items could have to be deleted from or inserted in my list. Not such a good reason, right? Well, what the last year has taught me, is...