#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Fighting 'Brain Drain': Youth Forum on Policy-making

2018 was a rough year for everyone around the world - from government officials and ministers who we...

Child soldiers: An effect of conflict in society

"Human rights law declare 18 as the minimum legal age of recruitment and use of children in hostilit...

Hers

Who sought her agonybehind her ‘sweet' smile?Who sought her fearof devils who cravedto eat her freed...

In the name of healthy interaction

A medical degree is regarded as one of the most prestigious feats that can be achieved by a person....

An Identity

She came out on a beautiful dayShe said she accepts all___I say I show equality, tooSo, am I like her?He said he appreciates beauty____I say I value allure, tooSo, am I like him?I discovered many things about myselfBut I have yet to discover this identityWho am I?

Food security

Food security and insecurity is an ongoing issue and problem around the world. In many regions and a...

By a proud Hindi speaker

Walking up the corner of the street, I see a lady dressed in Indian ethnic clothing, conversing in t...

Build a bridge, not a wall

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." I remember hearing th...

Tough times don’t last; Tough people do

We all know time never stays constant. It perpetually changes. So here’s a story of a girl whose tou...

Holistic education

EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION. This is what we hear all the time but just saying it won't help any...