#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

There are so many things that I can't see

When I'm at work, it all feels so strange and far away. The fact that every where there are people...

Bystander: When She Suffers....

She was beaten and slapped, For 'Dowry',by her 'prestigious' husband, And she shouted for he...

Cairo Life

Cairo... either you love it or you hate it. For some it's an ugly city. Yes, it really is an old,...

First Class

This is a fiction short story on poverty and capitalism in India How long has it been since I’ve gotten new shoes? Look at them, they’re disgusting! Nearly half my size, both roof and soles broken open and flapping everywhere. My toes wiggle freely without any protection. I assume it...

A Treasure to Share With You

Hey everyone! It is always a joy to share with you people what I think, feel, create... And of cou...

To My Stars

To My Stars - Each and Every One of You - A Message using Valentines Day an excuse - #LoveWins eve...

Child labor in Egypt

In Egypt child labor rates are high and it's very common to find children being forced or influenc...

What Have We Done?

What can I do to make a difference? What can I do to change perceptions? What can I do to get othe...

Our world and helping

Everybody needs help. Everybody wants to help. Everybody knows to help. But there's a little difference between Knowing, wanting and needing. And when difference between this three will become less? Everybody who needs help will be helped by those who want to help and t...

What Peace Really Is...

Hello the people of VoY! So I wanted to start this post with a #tb to World Peace Day by sharing the video I have prepared this September. The video you see on the link is prepared by the lovely efforts of participant from all over the world to share a beautiful message on my request. I...