#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Child labour

Honduras.Have you ever wondered why a 10-year-old boy is selling bread late at night when he should...

Authentic volunteering first, building CV last

The United Nations Development Programme, United Nations Volunteer Report (UNDP, UNV) (2015;13) esti...

Fears of fourteen year old me

Fourteen year old me, who has never heard of the word feminism, decides to create a Tumblr account....

Unethical living

Children, women, and men are mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, friends, and many others figures tha...

A young person gives back to his refugee camp

When seventeen-year-old Aime waved goodbye in 2011 to Kyaka II Refugee Settlement, a camp located in...

Everything I have is a gift

Wilson Kubwayo was only two years old when he and his family were forced to flee civil war in their...

A new perspective on sports

On June 8, 2018, I sat on my couch, watching TV alone at 10 PM. It was unlike other Friday nights, w...

The Bellringer

It's almost eleven in the morning and a small crowd was gathering around the lobby of St. Sebastian....

I wear a Hijab...and YES, harassment is my problem too!

For the last couple of years, I developed this habit of getting around a table with friends, classmates, and colleagues to talk about problems & frustrations we experience on a daily basis. For us, discussing trending news about celebrities was not as intriguing and interesting as unveiling the...

Spectacle of education

They say children are the leaders of tomorrow, but how can we lead tomorrow if we have a narrow visi...