#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Gender Stereotypes

I was playing with a batman mask the other day when my little brother came up to me saying "You're a girl, you have to be batgirl you can't be batman!" This made me a little upset. I was once a girly girl, I had once loved glitter, sparkles, and pink for the fun of it, but I have stepped away from t...

The Desperate Walk To Basics in Mhondoro

71km away from Harare in Mashonaland West, lies a communal location known as Mhondoro Chivero. It is...

Promises

If you’re anything like me, you’re devilishly good-looking, charming, humorous, confident without be...

The Pearl of the Orient Seas Meets the Green City in the Sun

UNICEF recently gave a group of young people from different parts of the world an opportunity to int...

Rape is never the victim's fault

Dear people, there are a lot of things that you just don't understand.If rape was about how revealin...

Concordia Cobbers and The 2017 NAFSA Advocacy Day

In the morning as we waited in Senator Amy Klobuchar’s office with the files of the different issues...

Scared of Death?

There are plenty of ways to die. Enter Gary Hoy, an enigmatic and skilled lawyer. Having graduated a...

We Don't See Her Tears

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*I force my heavy eyelids open ever so slightly, and lean over to smack the alarm...

A decalogue for aspiring world changers (Refugee Day edition)

I think that all of you, people reading this post, want to change the world.It’s our human inner-sen...

Empowering us

A woman should and is supposed to stay at home, he said.Her job should be taking care of the kids an...