#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

We Write the Future

So many of us teenagers suffer from misconceived notions that we don't have the power to make a di...

The greener side of blessings.

It's shameful, the way we treat each other, based on our ignorant acceptance of people, depending on beliefs and experiences we have been fed and have lived. How we perceive people, downgrade them, and bully them. I know that it's cliché to hear that life is too short, or some people ha...

Gathering hope for an intangible future

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend Jusoor 2016 bootcamp to learn more about entrepren...

Torn: Being a Cuban-American in a Time of Strain

When I was three months old, my mother nestled me in her arms and took me on an hour plane ride to...

How peaceful is the world?

When we think about global conflicts we often only think about international wars. We do not neces...

Anticipating 2017:What's relevant to the well being of children and y...

In 2017, we renew our commitment towards Zimbabwean children and its young people. For us it is a...

Who says we are unfaithful?

Who says we are unfaithful? Apprehensions. We had many. And so was the stranger of nigh...

Not so different

Amidst screams of ‘mango’ and excessive sniffling due to chalk dust, I decided to sit down. I was volunteering at a local school for underprivileged children. The setting wasn’t conducive to learning. Situated on a narrow street leading uphill. On one side, there was a stream strewn wi...

That moment of happiness

“Daai, paach rupya dinu na !” [Brother, please give me five rupees.] That little girl came...

What I've learned so far...

2016 wasn’t the best year of my life but wasn’t the worst neither. 2016 was the year I learned...