#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Tackling World Poverty

Last year I believe we could have ended world poverty seven times over – this is how. In a report in...

Mother languages - Dividing us and bringing us together

They say it takes a village to raise a child. But I grew up wrestling with more than one village.Nat...

Where does your interest lie?

In this matter, In what you do, In whom you are, In what you are becoming. Where does your int...

We have a purpose

Dear Readers, Have you ever wondered why we are sent to this world? Why we are created? Why we are living? I believe there is an answer to this question. Yesterday, I saw a hungry child shivering from cold on the street. I got angry and asked God, "Why do you permit this? Why don't you do something...

Tell Me What's Up

There’s discretion. There are societal demands and tolerances. There’s what is socially acceptable...

Scoring a goal at a time....

I’ve been reading this book, for some time now. It’s called Grit. And I’ve fallen in love with it....

CSO organizes national stakeholders’ workshop to review the Cameroon G...

On Saturday 3rd February, 2018, over 30 gender-related multi-stakeholders were convened in the South...

Live Your Dream

Is it okay for you to dream? Or have your own dream, for that matter? Are you dreaming what your...

For Lips to Have modest Curve

Soul of mine does wail sometimesPondering the exuberant childhood Being deprived to a lot cradlesI want to interrogate Not just the factionBut all denizens of the world Who perpetuate the preying on ladsToday the world’s affable to meBut ain’t to those in distressAs per desire I fill my bellyBut now...

Please.

Please. It’s a simple statement, just a regular word, in such a confusing world. I ask you to please read and understand if you will. Please know that in this world full of dark things, that just around the corner is a brightness capable of filling 8 half’s of planets and countless half’s of moons....