#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

History teaches humans many verities. We have learned and discovered lots of lessons from the world...

Think positive and act wisely

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are th...

The day I lost my friend

There are some experiences that no matter how much time passes, we simply cannot get out of our mind...

An ODE to a NOBODY - In defense of being average

"Don’t settle for AVERAGE. You were made for greatness ” – Victoria Osteen“All I knew is that I neve...

She is fire, and nothing else.

People don't get it When she burns herself downThey think she does it for the attention.Nah, she does it for herself.She takes all that rage inside herAnd uses it to grow flowers.She accepts all the hate in herAnd turns it into something that the world will love. And like the wind that blows out wea...

Canada is developing its feminist international assistance policy

Interesting enough, Canada has shocked the international community once more, viewing its developmen...

Children of war

Life has become a burden for many children around the world, when they wake up in the morning they a...

The secret university life

During the three years I have been on campus it was not just studying psychology.I studied the lives...

A letter about the ¨Migration Crisis¨ from a Honduran girl

There are ways to solve social/political problems. It's understandable that countries may not react...

The philosophy of superheroes

Many aspiring young leaders or change-makers were first inspired to try and make a difference in the...