#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

#16DaysofActivism : VOY inspire

The #16DaysofActivism starts on 25 Nov and the theme is Gender Based Violence. Recently I got a chan...

An Open Letter to Myself

Dear self,How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I know life has been tough but you have done quite a good job to stay alive. Thank you for not giving up.Life is not a straight line, it goes up and down. If you are sometimes happy or sometimes sad, be glad because this is life. If you don’t w...

The art of giving hope.

We all hope for a better day. We hope to live to see our future and the future of our children. We h...

Questioning Social Norms and Fighting Against Discrimination

Individually, we all have different experiences in life. In a nutshell, whether you live in Cambodia or somewhere else in the world, basically you will always be confronted with the dilemma between choosing to live your life satisfying social norms or having your own lifestyle free from social press...

Making The World A Better Place For The Transgender Community

In Cambodia, as well as around the world, the topic of transgender rights is not always included in conversations. There is a lack of representation and basic understanding of transgender people, and undeniably, there is also a lot of discrimination towards people in this group.In the United States,...

IT doesn't get better, but YOU do!

I was 16-years-old when I first felt the cool midnight breeze blow across my skin as I gazed up at t...

Normal/Weird

We think that all the normal kids have the phones, the latest clothing trends, fit in very well, and that the weird ones, they have what they're given.As a weird kid myself I'm going to tell you what it's like from our point of view.Every time we're picked on for being weird, we fall into this state...

The Paradox of Global Food Wastage (What can be done about it)

World hunger is on the rise again: 815 million people went hungry in 2016, according to a recent United Nations Report on Food Security and Nutrition. This amounts to 11 percent of the global population, a glaring rise of about 38 million people since 2015 (WFP2017). More than 90 percent of the worl...

We are Human: PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Sophie & Louise KanzaTitle of your video: Singabantu - We are HumanAge: 24 & 25What 3 words describe you best? Passionate, innovative, braveTell us about your video – What is your video about?Our video is about taking back our power as refugees and migrants. Breaking down the stereoty...

My Story: PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Moiz KhanTitle of your video: My StoryAge: 19What 3 words describe you best? Tolerant, Pragmatic and optimisticTell us about your video – What is it about?The video that I made focuses on the Muslim world and the problems caused by the recent rise in Xenophobia especially when we talk about Mu...