#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Mental Health Stigma

With depression prevalent in as many as 15 million adults, in the US alone, the mental health of ind...

VOY Inspire! - Happiness And A Ninja (Part 1)

In this big, ever-growing complex world of ours, it’s sometimes quite hard to find the right defin...

Rights and Freedoms: Pause, Appreciate, and Don't Take Them for Grante...

Though I was born in the United States, I come from a family where every single person is a war refu...

The mask and the storm

A storm.A storm has come. And it still hasn’t left.She’s stuck within its heart, helpless to its...

At the Almost-End of Our Humanity

I almost couldn't find anything to say, because we are in a place where it feels like there is nothi...

The voice to your silence

I’ve always wondered how it would feel to be surrounded by complete silence. Not the kind that you...

Ethics of Science and Technology

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. -Albert Einstein On...

A Song for Humanity

What drives me nuts is the fact that people have so much capacity for kindness but choose to ignore or suppress it in fear of being hurt. If we try just a little bit to practice kindness in our every day actions and look at life at least one degree through a love lens, I truly believe the world can...

Clothes aren't consent

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize that the new form of consent was the height of my skirt or the fit of my shirt. I don't get it – why does a short skirt turn into "she wanted it" which turns into consent which makes it okay? Or the fact that you can see my bra turns into "she was begging for it" whi...

The Little Palanquin

A wobbly bullock cart carried Abhik and his new-born niece into a cold December night. As the dusty...