Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Plural+ Awards 2014: "Life as a Hazara Refugee"

Interview with Khadim Dai, a young filmmaker from Pakistan. 1. What is your video about? I...

Stay Strong

All innocent children die When terrorists attack Everybody has to say good- bye Leaving their lives, and being trapped! People still have a strand of hope While trying to be optimistic Working hard, not to mope Praying every minute so that they don’t turn pessimistic. The t...

How migration enriches society

For centuries people have moved across the globe to pursue their dreams or just looking for a slig...

TV series review: Downton Abbey

I bet you already think I’m a hopeless romantic, but I’m not. Quite the opposite. And in spite...

Farah Chamma, a Palestinian poet

“You can’t prohibit young people from searching for the truth, and when they found out that yo...

PLURAL+ Awards 2014: “Borderless"

Interview with Ahmad Albakri, a young filmmaker from Palestine. 1. What is your video about?...

How am I ever going to afford a house?

The average property price in London, the city in which I grew up, has now reached £500,000. Meanwhile average rents are nearing £17,000. There is already little hope of me being able to get onto the housing ladder, and being able to rent seems just the same, so what will happen t...

7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue

The Theme of the 7th International Conference on Youth and Interfaith Dialogue (http://www.interfa...

My experience as a young person in the fight against corruption

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption." - Kurt Cobain. Corruption: is it a challenge or an obstacle? Or maybe it's an indication that something is wrong? In fact, corruption was the main cause for which the Tunisian revolution started back in 17th of December 2010. It’s bee...

BLACK DAY IN PESHAWAR- A GLOBAL CONCERN

It was such a gory sight when at about 11am on 16th December 2014,a group of Taliban gunmen made t...