Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Chilean Youth care about Sexual and Reproductive Rights

Chile is the so called “big brother” of the region because of its strength and confidence gene...

Human cloning

Human cloning is one of the issues that is most debated around the world .. Is it just a human being created to satisfy certain things? In my opinion is not a righteous act to be generating a human out of another one as well, because it immediately calls into question the rights of the h...

South Sudanese IDP's mark International Youth Day

Juba, South Sudan. 15 August 2014: In a rain drenched UN House Protection of Civilian camp (POC)...

Liberalism in conservative countries: the two sides of the argument

It's been a while, I didn't post a new essay for some personal reasons but they're over now and th...

Mental Health and It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

What is mental health to you? What comes to mind when you hear mental health? Mental heal...

The day I signed the Declaration of Equality's for Muslim women.

This is the second time I have posted this. I am posting it again because what I am talking about is very important to me and many other people. I don't think at the time I truly understood the importance of what was happening that day in Seneca Falls, NY. I was in 1840s dress,...

http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/524eacaf9ae4c-full.jpeg

Source: http://www.voicesofyouth.org/assets/posts/54669/524eacaf9ae4c-full.jpeg

We need you to help us map your environment

Do you walk by a pile of garbage every day on the street? Do you breathe the polluted air of you...

What You Do Not Know About Ebola Virus Can Kill You

Recently, the Ebola virus has outstripped Guinean borders; the whole continent is in danger. Not only is the epidemic killing but it also has the power to change your perception. In fact, after this scourge, the world is not able to see Africans as usual anymore. This is not racism; this is...

International Youth Day #IYD14 - Why we need to talk about #SexualViol...

It's time for youth to talk about Sexual Violence. This past June, members of governments a...

International Youth Day 2014 - Mental Health Matters

Happy International Youth Day everyone! Thank you for making VOY the amazing, inspiring, dy...