Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

A message from a concerned citizen!

I once said: “Dans l'histoire des grandes nations, y a de bons temps et y a de mauvais temps, y...

Dignity

I saw him on my way back from college. A lean adolescent swaying back and forth as the tides of fear lolled him with a lullaby only he can hear. A small black coconut shell was seated next to him with a few coins and wisps of embarrassment in it. I peered into his eyes from where I stood and...

Are children better off now than they were 25 years ago?

Are children better off now than they were 25 years ago? The answer is a resounding yes. The conve...

Characteristics of Good Governance

Participation Participation could be either direct or through legitimate intermediate institutions or representatives. Participation needs to be informed and organized. This means freedom of association and expression on the one hand and an organized civil society on the other hand....

In this focus piece, Youth to End Sexual Violence explores the issue of Female G...

Source: http://www.youthtoendsexualviolence.org/blog/2014/10/23/in-focus-female-genital-...

In Focus: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

"My legs were completely numb and the pain between them was so intense. I wished I would die. I felt my poor mother hold me in her arms - my memory ends at this instant until I opened my eyes and the killer woman was gone. I was lying on the ground close to a rock, and my legs were tied together wit...

Advocacy for the Young

They plead that you may for once; Understand them with honest kindness With futile prejudice...

STOP, not in my name!

You must have heard about the awful news of the execution of the French hostage in Algeria a coupl...

Youth Participation: What We Need

Recently I have had the opportunity to chair 2 or 3 events (in Morocco) which deal with youth and...

What do you want to be in the future? A Career woman or a housewife?

It’s been 4 months since the last time I posted my article on VOY. I’ve been feeling too busy...

Youth voices must be heard in Kurdistan Region

When the current leaders of Kurdistan get older and die… Who will lead? In the 21st century the power that is leading the world is youth's, but in Kurdistan it's Old’s. Whether it is good or bad, is a different story. The first independent Kurdish Government was declared in 1992 an...