Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Having Natural Hair in Africa

The look of the hair on my head is the look of a wool. The texture is course. But surprisingly I a...

RELIGION, RADICALISM & TERRORISM - Two Parallels and a Bridge

Religion is a form of organized belief or ideology that guides a group of people. Religion is as o...

Is there any value in unpaid internships?

The recent Voices of Youth debates are dedicated to theme of internship. And the topic exactly sou...

More to the Situation than "Je Suis Charlie"

Like you probably heard, there was a terrible, cruel attack in Paris. We talked about it in my Fre...

2014 - a year of mixed feelings -We are the last generation that can f...

Hello friends, 2014 to me was a great year except for the fact that the happenings around my environment where not very pleasant to me. It was a year greeted with mixed feelings a lot happened all around the world, But in My country Nigeria, it was a year of joy and celebration to some b...

Dream Your Life Away

Ever since I was very young I wanted to do something larger than life. It all started with wanting to build tree houses, draw huge murals (on my wall, with finger paint) and write stories rather than play on the Gamecube or my Gameboy. Even at this young age, I wasn't complacent with being "...

Under the snow; we freeze !

Freezing under the Snow. Still, I will grow. I may be a coal Still, I have a soul Th...

Football, More than just a game

As we are on the verge of seeing a real change in Mauritian Football, let’s revert back and refl...

when I was BULLED at school

When I was young, my mom kissed me 365days, subtracted by the weekends of not being bullied, only...