Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Human Rights and Impersonation

Hello Everyone! I finally have returned to VOY after a long time, and would at first remind ev...

Making Your Voice Count for slum Dwellers (World Habitat Day 2014 “V...

The United Nations designated every first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. The purpose of World Habitat Day is to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter and habitation. It is also intended to remind the world that...

Mixed Feelings: Capital Punishment

The death penalty is the sentence of execution for lethal crimes and other capital crimes defined...

International Day of the Girl Child

The “International Day of Girl Child” passed only a few days ago on 11th October with the them...

Funding Space Exploration

Space has enchanted people for generations. When the first men landed on the moon to plant the Ame...

You are not a sheep!

Remember: you are not a sheep and you are able to make choices to live in a country you want....

You can't fight pain with pain, don't let it define you

Hello! I am so sorry as I have been absent from VOY for a month. This being due to very hard times...

Old and young

This week, a topic seemed to engross me. It wasn’t particularly triggered by something but inste...

International Day of the Girl Child: #EndTheSilence

Today is the International Day of the Girl Child. Five months ago, nearly 300 Nigerian girls were...

A birthday wish!

Friday, October 10. "One day away, only one day away" is what I'm thinking. From tomorrow I...