Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

All they need is a SMILE. :)

Recently I had the opportunity to join a community service project organised by the Rotaract Club...

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN: Is Being Female A Crime?

Many girls and women alike are being violated globally on grounds of their gender,culture, class,...

ABORTION, AN UNENDING CONTROVERSY; HAVE YOUR SAY

Many see it as legal, others see it as illegal but the bottom line is that it has been an age-long...

Plural+ Awards 2014: "Deepening Community"

Interview with Michael, William, Mathew and Nathan, four young filmmakers from Canada. 1. What...

How We Should Live.

It is easy for us to blame our defeats and misfortune on others. We tend to criticize people witho...

Equality

I believe in equality. Equality in its absolute purest way. Because if we break it down to the b...

Girls Empowerment

Although half of the total population of the world is composed of females, females are lagging far behind than males. Mostly gender inequality contributes to the backward position of females because it is gender inequality that causes lack of education, malnutrition, early marriage, trafficking of g...

In the Worst Year of Child Rights

According to UNICEF Report, 2014, the year 2014 is declared as the worst year for child rights. According to the report, globally 230 million children live in the countries & areas torn by armed conflicts. Children are facing war, violence, atrocities & violence. They are killed, orphaned, k...

The Power of Virtual Volunteering

While studying for final exams at the Trinity College library in Hartford, Connecticut, USA, I rec...

A Poem for Ebola

This is a poem which I have written for Ebola Awareness. It is a cover of a song too (see note aft...