Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

The word feminist

Over time the word feminist has gained a different definition in many people's eyes. Some think feminism means man hating, but the definition in Merriam- Webster Dictionary is "the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities". That is saying we do not...

Talking About A Revolution Currently Does Sound Like A Whisper

3 days ago I was having a conversation with 2 friends(A and B); and in typical gossip fashion, a particular guy's name pops up... friend A blurts out that she found out he was gay from another friend; then friend B says she had a feeling he was. She went on to say (friend B), that it's very...

You Are A Miracle

MIRACLES! How many people did you touch today? How many people did your eyes see today?...

Police Brutality in New york

In recent years there has been an increase in cases pertaining to police brutality and the mistreatment of citizens of color and of particular descent. This shines a light upon the social standards of today and the morals of the men and women that protect our streets and neighborhoods. These...

This Should Be the Norm

Imagine: you're sitting in first period when you realize that you really have to pee. Your teacher...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10604691_10152750727419002_2884826097121166830_o.jpg

Source: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10604691_10152750...

25 years of children's rights

Next Thursday, 20 November 2014, marks the 25th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the C...

Human Rights in 2014

Human Rights are the principles that should be guaranteed to every person regardless of sex, age, income level, or race. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) was ratified on December 16, 1949 by the UN, after the atrocities committed during World War II. It was the first global e...

Minimum Wage

A minimum wage is an hourly wage rate that is set by law. As of early 2010, the minimum wage in th...

Youth (un)employment

Employment is an essential topic in public policy because for many a job is much more than a salar...

A Lack of Cultural Understanding

With the international tensions that are going on these days, I feel the need to write this article. These days, I feel like people pay more attention to politics a little more than culture. People pay more attention to any governments' bad actions, thinking that it reflects people's beliefs. Peopl...