Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Where do you stand?

Many are cognizant of the fact that the battle for equal treatment of the sexes has still not been...

Blind teacher continues to beat odds

The first cry by a newborn baby usually signals a successful delivery. But to Martha Munjuri, it w...

The virtue of finding beauty in the midst of chaos

It is hard to believe that one of the most unequal countries in the world according to the Gini in...

Tolerance, mutual respect - together united for a shared future

On the occasion of the International day of tolerance -16th November 2014- I pondered on the importance of tolerance. Tolerance is of great value and one I feel young people should promote. Having been brought up in a household where my mother, father and grand mother all shared different re...

Make A Change & Take Action

God never changes a condition of a people until they first change themselves. Some of us go to church every week, go to the Mosque every week, and that's all we do. Week after week, we sit in our seats, clap, bear witness, and shout hallelujah, and go home in the same condition we left in. F...

Human Rights Violations--Seriously??

I am a student in an International Baccalaureate high school in the United States. In my IB Spanis...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-buISbJqb8aE/U9Y1wmt1NgI/AAAAAAAAEW0/NOY5LXey7Hk/s1600/VICTIMS.png

Source: http://philanilegacy.blogspot.com/2014/07/victims.html

VICTIMS

"I dedicate this to all refugees and war victims in Africa. Especially for young Africans displace...

The word feminist

Over time the word feminist has gained a different definition in many people's eyes. Some think feminism means man hating, but the definition in Merriam- Webster Dictionary is "the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities". That is saying we do not...

Talking About A Revolution Currently Does Sound Like A Whisper

3 days ago I was having a conversation with 2 friends(A and B); and in typical gossip fashion, a particular guy's name pops up... friend A blurts out that she found out he was gay from another friend; then friend B says she had a feeling he was. She went on to say (friend B), that it's very...