Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...

Issues affecting most local communities in Africa

This is a story I got from one of the youths when I visited South Western Uganda during one of my...

To be or not to be involved… That’s the debate.

Hello everyone, Latin America as you might know is a very violent region and delinquency is the si...

Stop the senseless killing of innocent children

How do you console a child who has become a victim of war? How does one console a child who has...

Gaza: Why the International Community must no longer take a backseat

Traumatised by the daily display on our news-screens I took it upon myself to do the only thing I knew I had the power to do, which is to voice my opinion. Last night, the video portraying a young boy lying lifeless on a hospital bed in Gaza, the doctors opening his limp lids to pupils fixed...

Life is Better as an Optimist

Wherever we might come from, be it African or Asian or American or Australian or European continents, we are all human and in today's era, we are very much caught in the maelstrom of humdrum daily life. Life can thus end up in much negativity. I wrote this article to remind each one of us...

Shame to Humanity

Children of Gaza strip must be asking their mothers,'Who are trying to kill us? Palestine? Israel? Egypt?' but simply the answer is 'Humans killing humans'. For just a stupid political reason, around 1800 people are already dead and more than 9500 are wounded. Israel is killing Palestinians...

Two Miles Apart

Two Lives/Two Miles Apart One of the main problems in Hong Kong is the massive wealth gap that...

Do one thing: Volunteer!

Do you volunteer or do community work? How do you contribute to your community? A good wa...

Quotas for women in business and governmental institutions?

Gender inequality is a major issue that has to be addressed urgently. It is happening nowadays (as...