Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

A Testimony on HIV

I was born in 1995, 12 years after the discovery of HIV and five years after infection came to my...

Taking action at 2015....for a better future for everyone!

It seems that 2015 will be a crucial year for the world. This year two UN events will take place. The first one will be in September in New York, where world leaders, after the "Millennium Development Goals" (which were put in 2000), will put a new set of goals, the "Sustainable Development...

Can we really change something...?

Yesterday, I had a talk with someone who, at times, I would call suicidal. He told me he was consi...

Have you ever wondered, “What is my purpose in life?” Lord knows I have. I...

Source: http://hurt2healingmag.com/a-purpose-driven-2014/

A Purpose-Driven [2015]

Have you ever wondered, “What is my purpose in life?” Lord knows I have. I think it’s safe to say that discovering your purpose in life then working towards that purpose is what almost every human being undertakes as a goal. Purpose is what gives our lives meaning. So, how do you know...

Women's rights, freedom and religion in the MENA region (2)

In the previous post, we talked a little about freedom of women in a patriarchal society and I fin...

Women's rights, freedom and religion in the MENA region (1)

I talked last time about honor killings in the region of MENA; it’s a critical problem that no o...

Having Natural Hair in Africa

The look of the hair on my head is the look of a wool. The texture is course. But surprisingly I a...

RELIGION, RADICALISM & TERRORISM - Two Parallels and a Bridge

Religion is a form of organized belief or ideology that guides a group of people. Religion is as o...

Is there any value in unpaid internships?

The recent Voices of Youth debates are dedicated to theme of internship. And the topic exactly sou...

More to the Situation than "Je Suis Charlie"

Like you probably heard, there was a terrible, cruel attack in Paris. We talked about it in my Fre...