Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

A Poem for Ebola

This is a poem which I have written for Ebola Awareness. It is a cover of a song too (see note aft...

The freedom and power of thought

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin, more even than death. Thought...

Hijab without the Stereotypes

"Don't you ever feel.... You know.... [hands gesturing around face and neck] like....... You know......

2015 - A New Years Speech.

I will be an optimist about this new year. I won’t be making sure the year leaves, because the...

How music has changed over time

Sometime ago, I sat a few rows behind some much older men on a bus. They were discussing loudly an...

In 2014, I learnt to be myself

Yesterday I was thinking to myself, weighing my options and making decisions for the year ahead. I...

My VOY Blogging Internship

So, this is the last day of 2014. One year, thousands of feelings, events and beautiful people met...

Pregnant at 15

She sits on the brown bench waiting for her turn to see the doctor. The queue is moving fast today, and she is glad because she has to go fetch firewood before it is too late, When it is her turn, she nervously approaches the scale. After the general physical checkup, she heads into the cons...

The chance of a restart

The past years I chose not to compile a new years’ resolutions list because I thought it would be quite difficult to stick to it. And a lot could change and items could have to be deleted from or inserted in my list. Not such a good reason, right? Well, what the last year has taught me, is...

Looking back at 2014 and Forward to 2015

It's the Eve of New Year's Eve and I thought it was about time to reexamine 2014. We witnessed a h...