Indigenous Peoples' Rights

(Foreground) Kâhu Pataxó (also called Maicon Santos Soares), 19, from the indigenous village of Pataxó de Coroa Vermelha in Brazil’s north-eastern Bahia State, speaks at the ‘Listen & Act’ gathering at UNICEF House.© UNICEF/NYHQ2010-0676/Susan Markisz

Who are Indigenous Peoples?

The word ‘Indigenous’ can be traced back to a Latin word that means native or original inhabitant. When we talk about indigenous peoples we often talk about groups that have a deep relationship with their land and natural environments, and have a culture and language that is different from other parts of the population in a country. But there is no definition of indigenous peoples that everyone agrees on. In fact, it is now generally agreed that no one can define an individual or a group as indigenous, except the group itself.

Indigenous peoples live in every region of the world and account for a large share of the cultural diversity in the world today. From Inuits in the northern arctic regions to Māoris in New Zealand, it is estimated that there are around 370 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries, representing as many as 5,000 different indigenous cultures.

Indigenous peoples have diverse cultures which are often based on a spiritual relationship with the land and natural resources. The language is an important part of their identity and there is a rich variety of arts, rituals and performances that is passed from generation to generation. Land, resources, art and language and more are considered to be the collective property of the group rather than individuals.

More action, less talk

In the last decades, the international community has paid more attention to the rights of indigenous peoples, and many indigenous groups are active in advocating for their own rights and in protecting their land and identity. There are many good examples where indigenous groups work with governments to protect their land and way of life.

However, there is still a long way to go. Despite all the progress in recognizing their rights, indigenous peoples continue to suffer from discrimination and exclusion. That will not change unless everyone, individuals and governments, start putting words into action and start realizing the rights of indigenous peoples.

The new era of education

The amount of people who daily learn and practice different languages through youtube; of those wh...

Displaced by climate- what is your legal status?

It has already started. The effects of climate change have meant that people are being forced to migrate. A case of a family from Tuvalu applied for asylum in New Zealand and although it was granted it was on humanitarian ground on the basis that there had close ties in NZ. In fact the bulk...

Farag Foda, the victim of freedom of expression

Article 19. Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom...

WHY THIS UNHEALTHY COMPETITION AMONG DEVELOPMENT ACTORS

It is often said that in driving the development of the nation the government is not the only acto...

This is time for us to show them our support, not judge them.

Last night I was listening to BBC on radio and I heard Grammy Award winning artist from Benin, Wes...

Voice of Youth Inspire! Create a Change Through Leadership Works

Youth leadership is a remarkably important part of the youth development process. In a world which...

CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA

Corruption according to Oxford English Dictionaries can be defined as the dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery. It is the act of misusing political or public offices for self-development. In Nigeria political corruption has been present since the...

Source: https://soundcloud.com/alex-fm-young-reporters/womens-month

A womens celebration in alexander

ISSUES AFFECTING WOMEN IN OUR COMMUNITY OF ALEXANDER IN SOUTH AFRICA

Intro To No one

I may not know who I am; but I know what I stand for (gay rights) and what I stand against (domestic violence). So a platform like this only seemed right to join.

Braving workplace harassment: snowballing to a better world

Recently, I was invited to lead a seminar designed to introduce students at Polytechnic Institute...