Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

Post-2015 Updates from a Child Rights Perspective on Instagram & Tumbl...

The UNICEF Post-2015 Team is pleased to share its new social media sites on Instagram and Tumblr!...

THE MINDSET TREE

THE MINDSET TREE In Zambia, poverty has escalated rapidly and it has gone out of control. This...

Collective Action for sustainable development

Leave no one behind… Village communities show the way towards an inclusive post-2015 framework....

Photovoice Methodologies

Photovoice is a form of participatory learning and action (PLA). It involves using media technolog...

The concerns of Small Island Developing Contexts

The First UNEA Earlier this year I was lucky to get the opportunity to observe the first Unite...

'Better do something than waiting'

Youth unemployment in Zambia is a national crisis that needs immediate attention. The time is now...

Story of Basanta Adhikari, a youth advocate in Nepal

“To fall in a mud is not a disgrace but to stay there is”. I failed many times in my life, b...

Addressing the Youth Unemployment Challenge in Africa

Africa is the second most populous and 'youngest' continent on earth, having the highest concentra...

International Day Of Peace.

September 21,1981 The United Nations General Assembly declares that on this day world peace is...

.. YoUtH ..

Please read this. I 've watched this speech in English and I love so much this text that I want to share with all of youthvoices.. If you want to see the amazing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHE_XGtUNx4 but you can read : Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for t...