Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

Beauty Is Just Skin Deep

One day, when I went to the vegetable market with my mom, I was really appalled when I found many...

What went wrong in South Sudan

Sometime last week I happened to attend a forum discussing the very tragic South Sudan conflict. M...

Plight of the Producers in Punjab

We all know that it’s the farmers who produce food for all the people. But the irony is that mos...

Problems of Food Storage in India

The Food Corporation of India which is responsible for implementing the Public Distribution System...

What is the American Dream?

In our literature class, we have been discussing the idea of the "American Dream." This "dream" wa...

YOUTH Innovation: Cheap, green solar bottles light up Kenyan slum

When I came across this article I was so glad that youth are actually taking it upon themselves to...

Loopholes of the food security bill

The National Food Security Bill was signed into law on the 12th of September 2013. Its aim is to t...

The only one who can tell you “you can’t” is you.

I get to school and find out that I’m a part of a United Nations Video Conference and have been...

Poor implementation of midday meal scheme in India

The midday meal scheme is an ambitious remedy the government is using to deal with the situation o...

Food security through knowledge in Tamilnadu

Over the years there have been many efforts taken by both governmental and non-governmental organi...