Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

Disability is not inability

My mum who is visually impaired once told me that,'it is you people who see us disabled.We can do...

Ramadan: The meaning behind the month

Starting tomorrow Muslims across the world will begin fasting during the month of Ramadan. Being a British Muslim, I am often faced with questions like "Why do you fast?" or "What is Ramadan?" I believe it is important for us all to be aware of different cultures and religions so I tho...

My Fathers And I

My fathers and I I remember when the grass became a patriot on the sod and how growth was a midget in conflict. I remember when men couldn't feed and how wooden huts became a choice. I remember how the territory of slaves was carved from pain. I remember when my forefathers agreed to change the worl...

Youth & Community Theatre for Development

Yesterday morning, on 23 June at UNICEF NYHQ, there was a feature on “Community Theatre in Achieving Results for Children” that was part of UNICEF’s 2014 Spotlight series on Communication for Development (C4D) Innovations for Equity. This feature facilitated a panel discussion on how C...

Poverty and Terrorism

Pakistan experiences the worst forms of poverty. I personally believe that poverty is a major reas...

What is success?

In life, everyone wants success. However, more than half of us are wrong when we consider ourselve...

The Role of Indonesian Youth against Creative Industry in Facing the A...

Not only a great impact on revenue, job creation, and the value of exports, the creative economy i...

Save Lemurs

A movie about lemurs in Madagascar was recently made. I was astonished to find out from people ove...

Congratulations Koki

There is a silly notion with some people that children from ‘rich’ backgrounds are foolish. Th...

Why Does Female Circumcision Take Place And What Are The Risks?

With the increase in immigration around the world, female circumcision, once regarded as a problem...