Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

A week to remember ...

Only one week that we’ve been in Nepal but it seems like we’ve been here for a month! I think...

ENERGY is a HUMAN RIGHT!

When it comes to discussions on human rights, everyone focuses on the right to life, right to clot...

Decreasing rice production in Kerala

Though Kerala has 100% literacy rate, apt climatic conditions like abundant water and fertile soil...

India - A step forward to eradicate hunger

India has the world’s largest subsidized food scheme which provides affordable food to nearly th...

Sahariyas: a story of hope or despair??

‘Sahariyas’ is a native tribe of the state, Madhya Pradesh. This tribe also resides in Shivpur...

The world today is definitely not a paradise. Hunger, abuse, poverty, pollution...

Source: http://rdd.me/mcynxalo

How to help change the world!

Is this how we actually meet our meat?

Nowadays we all think that there is a supply deficiency of food stocks, but surprisingly, and acco...

COMMUNITY GRAIN BANKING - Changing the lives of farmers

It is a well-known fact that food is the most basic necessity for survival. Then, come the other n...

Typhoon Haiyan is one of the deadliest natural disasters to hit the Philippines!

Source: http://rdd.me/ehngr0is

Why are there still natural disasters?

The Philippines has suffered from an inexhaustible number of deadly typhoons, earthquakes, volcano eruptions and other natural disasters. This is due to its location along the Ring of Fire, or typhoon belt – a large Pacific Ocean region where many of Earth’s volcanic eruptions and earthq...

Draining impacts within the last 40 years

When one hears the word ‘drought’ he/she immediately thinks of intolerable heat and lack of water. The effects of drought are much worse than what appears in any of our minds. Droughts have a HUGE impact on the resources we need to stay alive (like water and food). The drought that M...