Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

Volunteer

The truth is that every time the number of volunteers from around the world has increased it is a sign that people are increasingly concerned about the future of others. The volunteers want to leave a mark in the hope of a society with more values​​. And to these people I owe a hu...

Deadly drought demonstrates the dryness of hearts

Having observed the deadly drought in the dry zone of Sri Lanka, I suppose I will put a small note...

Learn to Learn, Unlearn and Relearn.

Try this today, go to the soil, say to it, 'give me an harvest', I am sure it will respond with its...

Democracy turning to Autocracy

Bangladesh is a country that has a long history and sacrifice of millions of Freedom Fighters who...

Nigerian youth multiplying impact

A developing country has at least three dire needs - development, national transformation and yout...

In Times Like This, What is there to be Grateful for?

It has been said that to attract more grace in dazzling altitude, you should learn to lavish praise on people and nature. In my experience, treading the grateful path has yielded wholesome results and opened numerous doors. I realised in my journey that everyone loves to be appreciated, it boosts ou...

Two Miles Apart

Two Lives/Two Miles Apart One of the main problems in Hong Kong is the massive wealth gap that...

"We need jobs!"

Everyone is talking about the same thing and that is “youth unemployment”. Youth unemployment...

The Nature of Womanhood

I learnt from my "Women Weave the Web" page, how young ladies from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Japan and othe...