Fact Sheet

In 2005, an estimated 1.4 billion people were living in extreme poverty (on less than 1 US dollar per day). (MDG Report, United Nations, 2010)

More than 30 per cent of children in developing countries – about 600 million – live on less than US $1 a day. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Every 3.6 seconds one person dies of starvation. Usually it is a child under the age of 5. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

More than 1 billion children are severely deprived of at least one of the essential goods and services they require to survive, grow and develop. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Poverty contributes to malnutrition, which in turn is a contributing factor in over half of the under-five deaths in developing countries. Some 300 million children go to bed hungry every day. Of these only eight per cent are victims of famine or other emergency situations. More than 90 per cent are suffering long-term malnourishment and micronutrient deficiency. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

Some 13 per cent of children ages 7 to 18 years in developing countries have never attended school. (State of the World’s Children, UNICEF, 2005)

In all developing regions, children in rural areas and children from poor households are more likely to be underweight due to lack of nutrition. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

884 million people lack access to improved drinking water sources, and 84 per cent of them live in rural areas. (Progress for Children, UNICEF, 2010)

What is success?

In life, everyone wants success. However, more than half of us are wrong when we consider ourselve...

The Role of Indonesian Youth against Creative Industry in Facing the A...

Not only a great impact on revenue, job creation, and the value of exports, the creative economy i...

Save Lemurs

A movie about lemurs in Madagascar was recently made. I was astonished to find out from people ove...

Congratulations Koki

There is a silly notion with some people that children from ‘rich’ backgrounds are foolish. Th...

Why Does Female Circumcision Take Place And What Are The Risks?

With the increase in immigration around the world, female circumcision, once regarded as a problem...

Save the Invisible children // The Street Children

I am really honoured to be here and thank you for all that you do for the children worldwide BUT...

Lokalizo

I was amazed when I saw for the first time the Lokalizo page online. After getting to know a little bit more about the project, the idea of becoming part of this project quickly became important to me as I wanted to help out in realizing the goals of the project but also to gather experience...

BEAST OF BURDEN

A story of Adidi the “House Help” Written by Egwurube, Samuel In story books and other reference materials, most often than not, a donkey strapped with logs of load, transporting them to desired destinations of the master, or strapped with an agricultural machine tilling a farm for...

Homeless survivor "The real survivor"

What do you think about survivors? In simple words survivors are those persons who lead their life...

Youths in Post 2015 Development Agenda in Morocco

Young people should be at the forefront of global change and innovation. Empowered, they can be ke...